Chevy LS 5.3 liter swap in my ZJ - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Chevy LS 5.3 liter swap in my ZJ

Black Friday Sale!!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-17-2010, 04:06 PM   #31
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

I add this to your discussion.

MOPAR MUSCLE ENGINE CHALLENGE 500CID 720HP PUMP GAS WEDGE

http://www.speedomotive.com/ps-689-7...er-engine.aspx

BTW, the 5.2 was 220 stock and the 5.9 was not 260hp stock.. more like 265 with some type R stickers.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2010, 06:31 PM   #32
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmorell View Post
I'm not sure I agree with any of that, but ok. The 5.3 is much more advanced than the 5.2/5.9 small blocks and every bit as reliable......

This swap has been done by 2 people that I'm aware of:
The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install - MallCrawlin.com Forums
beat me to it andy!

OP, check out that Polar bear thread on MC. the dude does AMAZING work!
My Build Thead
Facebook
Senior at The Ohio State University
BLACKzj52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2010, 03:31 PM   #33
Sirbreakalot

Some people are just nuthuggers for one brand only and can't respect that different people want different things. I can post links of builds cheaper than any Chrysler engine build making more power more efficiently. But what's the point. I'm not loyal to any brand name. I just do what's best for me and that I can afford at the time. So far LSX power has been the best route for me and many of my friends on previous builds.

5 speed/NP231 8.8 swap coming in 2010
Sirbreakalot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2011, 12:38 PM   #34
PonyExp305

subscribed!!!!
()_) ()_) ---- )_)........()_)--- ) ()_) ---- )_)
PonyExp305 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2013, 11:20 PM   #35
Madspeed69

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrMechanic View Post
The 5.3 is far from being unreliable, but it still can't touch the track record of a 318. Very few engines can.

To me it's not worth going through all the trouble of modifying the Jeep to fit an engine that has few advantages over the original. If you had a 4.0 could see the swap being worth while, but with a 318 I'd rather cam it and put a set of heads on it.
Doing some surfing on a swap I found this. Buddy I think you fell off your bunk bed on your head as a child one to many times. the LS engines are SOOOOOOO much farther advanced and superior to a 318. btw you realize the 318 was poor copy of the SBC that as well is far far better than a 318. I dont think youl find ANY stock 318 on the planet that will take 800 hp STOCK. you might want to go over to LS1tech.com and educate yourself before you throw out false information =)
Oh lets just say the LS platform that cant touch your beloved 318 wont How Many 24 hour at lemans? and won best engine platform in said racing sanction. hmm I dont remember ever seeing a dodge get that praise against Ferrari Lamborghini Mercedes BMW Audi among many others.
Madspeed69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2013, 11:28 PM   #36
Madspeed69

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrMechanic View Post
The factory 318/360 heads have a tendency to crack. Aftermarket R/T heads, Iron Ram heads, and the Edelbrock heads do not though.

If you've taken care of that 318, the motor itself has at least a good 70,000-100,000 miles left. Mod it, then when it starts using oil or blows up, pull it out, build a stroker, then call it good.
Well here is another statement that blows your earlier statement to hell
Factory Ls heads dont crack. None of them. and Im sitting on a 300k mile ls right now runs perfect and uses no oil. I also have a 6.0 ls w 200k on it same thing and its in my 69 camaro. Im only trying to make you see the true light even if its 3 years to late =)
Madspeed69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #37
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madspeed69 View Post
Doing some surfing on a swap I found this. Buddy I think you fell off your bunk bed on your head as a child one to many times. the LS engines are SOOOOOOO much farther advanced and superior to a 318. btw you realize the 318 was poor copy of the SBC that as well is far far better than a 318. I dont think youl find ANY stock 318 on the planet that will take 800 hp STOCK. you might want to go over to LS1tech.com and educate yourself before you throw out false information =)
Oh lets just say the LS platform that cant touch your beloved 318 wont How Many 24 hour at lemans? and won best engine platform in said racing sanction. hmm I dont remember ever seeing a dodge get that praise against Ferrari Lamborghini Mercedes BMW Audi among many others.
sure theyre more advanced. sure they make more power in stock trim. but it is a **** load more expensive to swap one into a jeep (if you dont have parts coming out your ***, like the OP doesnt). for an LS engine, youll spend 500 for the engine itself, and another probably 2000 making it work right in the jeep. with a 318 or 360, its already a direct bolt in to the jeep. you could go balls to the wall on mods and still probably come out cheaper than a stock LS swap. and have more power to boot.
Unread 01-16-2014, 05:43 PM   #38
Bbeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madspeed69 View Post
800 hp stock.. What does "stock" mean?
The mopar smallblock is an old design, much older than the LS engine. of course the LS is better, but that doesn't mean its always a good idea to just go swapping LS motors into every vehicle around.
personally I get tired of looking under hoods at car shows or wherever and seeing chubby motors in there. Yeah its cheaper, but everyone has them.
I have a TJ with a 2.5, and Might get my hands on a 5.0 ford motor... I d love to see mopar(jeep) stay mopar.. but its also a cool swap that not everyone has, and the ford SB is lighter than a 4.0 jeep motor
Bbeyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2014, 05:38 PM   #39
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

bringing this back from the dead.

anyone actually done this swap yet, other than the two mentioned earlier?

i am seriously considering this swap in the future. a mild built LM7 (350-400HP) backed by a 4l60e in a ZJ would be killer.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.