Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Cash for Clunkers...R.I.P. '94 ZJ V8.

2K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  SnowLeopard 
#1 ·
Cash for Clunkers. I will refrain from going in to a tirade about the idiocy of this legislation. Sadly, it was the result of rare bipartisan cooperation. But, unfortunately, it makes it too tempting for some people to get a vehicle they don't need. Many good used vehicles and a large share of the parts supply will be destroyed.

My boss had a 1994 Grand Cherokee Limited V8 for several years. It had around 200,000 miles, but it was a pampered creampuff when it was bought. Even after some hard use and a few Michigan winters, the body was almost totally rust free. There was a couple of bubbles in the rockers and I think a little wanting to start in the corners of the hatch. The red paint shined and the red leather was nice. Other than a recent electrical gremlin and bald tires, it was still great transportation. It also a good working Quadra-Drive. The exhaust was new.

Has anyone noticed all the use of past tense whan referring to this nice old Jeep? The guy traded it in on a new Chevy Cobalt. He said the car will cost less than $10,000 after the credit for the Jeep. The car was bought from one dealership but had to be sent from another, as the buyer has made quite an event of seeing how cheap he could buy a car. Atleast he opted out of the Hyandai!

The crusher is the only fate the Jeep will see. No parting it out. No solid sheetmetal, strong running 5.2, smooth shifting tranny, or working transfer case of our Jeeps. Nope. Uncle Sam is making sure these vehicles are off the road forever, and that they don't help keep other "clunkers" going, either.

May another nice ZJ R.I.P.

-Les

See less See more
#2 ·
That brought a tear to my eye. :crying:

#4 ·
I was going to take advantage of the program, but it ends in November. I will not be ready to buy then, and the extra few thousand is not worth the rush.

#7 ·
The crusher is the only fate the Jeep will see. No parting it out. No solid sheetmetal, strong running 5.2, smooth shifting tranny, or working transfer case of our Jeeps.
As I understand it, the engine and drivetrain are the only thing that the dealers are required to scrap. (Of course, any VIN'ed parts can't be used for building into vehicles, either). The Cash for Clunkers site states that the vehicles must be in "driveable condition" when they're turned in. Dealers can sell whatever else they can, though.

If I take advantage of the CfC program to get rid of my XJ, I'll strip out as much stuff as I can, sell it, and drive in the shell to the dealer.

#9 ·
I have a 1987 Monte carlo 350 LS not an ss Automatic gets like 10mpg BARELY i swapped a 32gallon gas tank into it. It's full of rust holes in the floor board and junk I get $4500 for the Cash for CLunkers thing I was thinking of trading it in for something more gas efficient this car is my secondary if the heep breaks down and it has it's problems 2.

So car that cost 10000-12000 new now cost less than 6k on one and 8 on another +2k cash and little haggling like you should always do. probly 4-5k FOR A BRAND NEW CAR. I paid 6500 for my WJ! lol

#12 ·
Heh... funny this thread popped up.

I need to get rid of my Jeep... bad. I need cash and I don't have room for three cars.

A guy on Craigslist offered me $1250... 250 over my asking price. Said I can take off any aftermarket parts long as it can drive up to NH to the dealer where he's buying a new car.

I mean, I can pull my light bar but that's really it. I don't have a stock intake setup or some crappy seats to put in it (have 5.9 leather)... same goes for the 5.9 hood; don't have a stocker to put on.

I'm really... really tempted to do this, but I'll feel bad that my baby isn't going to be used... just turned into soda cans.

:/

#15 ·
So you trade it in and get $4500 value. Then you spend $5-10k for something new over that. I'd rather spend $5-10K if I had it on my ZJ. What a Jeep it would be then. It's sad to see the classics die like that. I was told that Jeep has discontinued support of my ZJ due to these new government mandates. This way it's more and more difficult to maintain them until you have no choice but to get something 'new'. Is new really so much better?

#16 ·
Yah, I wasn't sure how the guy was going to use something I'VE had registered for HIS car..?

SnowLeopard, getting a new car loan is easy. Getting a personal loan is almost impossible. This is why many people will take advantage of this over putting that cash into their own car/truck.

#18 ·
SnowLeopard, getting a new car loan is easy. Getting a personal loan is almost impossible. This is why many people will take advantage of this over putting that cash into their own car/truck.
If you need a personal loan to maintain your vehicle, you can't afford to have a vehicle. Doubling or tripling your insurance costs, having a nice big car payment every month, losing your old Jeep, all for some new fangled car that won't last 10 years? And getting a car loan might be easier, but it certainly isn't easy. Thus one of the major causes of the current auto industry collapse.

#17 ·
Yes lets get new car loans....uhg. I always buy used. Our vehicles are paid off, and we drive them until they truly DIE.
I love our Jeeps AND our gas hog 86 F-150. We've had that sucker for 15 years and never had a problem with it...it keeps on going just like the jeeps. I'm not getting suckered into buying a wind up toy for transportation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.