Can I really not use tire chains on my Grand Cherokee? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Can I really not use tire chains on my Grand Cherokee?

JKS Flex Connect in Actions!CCOR is Hiring! Athens, GA!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 02-23-2010, 07:09 PM   #1
stopitrye

Can I really not use tire chains on my Grand Cherokee?

I have a 1994 Grand Cherokee Laredo 6 cylinder 4.0L 4WD with P235/75 R15 M&S rated tires. The manual says: "Do not install tire chains or traction devices on models with p225/75 R15 or larger size tires. These tires are too large for sufficient body clearance with chains or other traction devices."

Is this really true? I may be required to put on chains in certain snow conditions in chain controlled roads and am required to carry them just in case in Yosemite.

Last edited by stopitrye; 02-23-2010 at 07:36 PM..
stopitrye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2010, 07:24 PM   #2
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

One thing of note, you have an inline 6 cylinder engine, not a V-6. Not a big deal, but some around here get their panties all in a bunch over it.

To answer your question, the manual is probably being a little overly cautious and is making the statement for those boneheaded enough to mount chains without tensioners. So long as you put a good set of tension bands with at least 6 clips each, there shouldn't be a problem.

Also with the chains you should be using 4FT if you have the 242 transfer case. Hopefully you don't have the 249 in yours (you shouldn't) as the chains will never match up and will slowly degrade your viscous coupler. But with you having the 6 cylinder it's more than likely you have the 231 transfer case and it' a non-issue anyway.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

If thats what the manual says then I'd say its really true. Get a lift. Or run studded tires instead.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2010, 09:32 PM   #4
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

I believe as long as you have either winter tires or tires with the snowflake symbol, heck a lot of such areas even accept A/T tires, and you don't have to run chains. That is, as long as you have a 4x4. I'd think chains would be okay up to on 235's, but anything bigger is already taking up all the space available. I imagine chains might tear something up with 30's. I'm getting 30's this Saturday, finally, and I'll see how tight they look with my stock suspension.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2010, 10:10 PM   #5
rooster51
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard View Post
I believe as long as you have either winter tires or tires with the snowflake symbol, heck a lot of such areas even accept A/T tires, and you don't have to run chains. That is, as long as you have a 4x4. I'd think chains would be okay up to on 235's, but anything bigger is already taking up all the space available. I imagine chains might tear something up with 30's. I'm getting 30's this Saturday, finally, and I'll see how tight they look with my stock suspension.
Youll be fine Snow, Im runnin 31s with the lift still sittin in the cargo area.
On topic: If you have the 242 you can run chains in FullTime only.
Unread 02-23-2010, 10:18 PM   #6
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster51 View Post
Youll be fine Snow, Im runnin 31s with the lift still sittin in the cargo area.
On topic: If you have the 242 you can run chains in FullTime only.
You're fitting 31's stock without any rubbing? If only that were possible. I currently don't and don't plan to disco my swaybar. Not until I can get a lift installed. So do you rub, or have you done any trimming? What about upon full compression and flexing? Full turn?

Unread 02-23-2010, 10:35 PM   #7
rooster51
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
You're fitting 31's stock without any rubbing? If only that were possible. I currently don't and don't plan to disco my swaybar. Not until I can get a lift installed. So do you rub, or have you done any trimming? What about upon full compression and flexing? Full turn?
No rubbing, no discoing until lifted (infinate maintnance prevents that in a timely manner)... and no front bumpercover.
Unread 02-23-2010, 10:43 PM   #8
horatio102
Web Wheeler

With 3" of lift and 245/75r16 on my WJ I was whacking the hell out of my fender and shocks with chains on oem wheels. I might have gotten away with going 10-15mph if I used low profile cable chains, but I was running hd link chains (front and rear!) and it was unstopable.

Now I've got 33s and no chains. Good luck.
horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2010, 10:43 PM   #9
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster51 View Post
No rubbing, no discoing until lifted (infinate maintnance prevents that in a timely manner)... and no front bumpercover.
I'd not want to pull the bumper cover on mine. Also, I imagine you'd need the new speedo gear or else everything would be off. I'm not sure how that works, but I don't think the swap is complicated. You just need to be able to get under the Jeep on a day when it's not snowy outside. I'll have to look into that. I might just have to stick with the 30's plan for the time being. All I need is to tear up my bumper cover. LOL I do seem to have the worst luck.

And I've been wanting to lift mine since before I discovered JF, and maintenance does mean you just can't build up the cash to do that. Besides, I'm also trying to save up for a move to Washington. Only the job market there is preventing that, also. Nowadays I'm getting impatient and just wanting to build up the Jeep anyway.

Unread 02-23-2010, 10:46 PM   #10
zjzach
1993 ZJ 

I run 30x9.5s on my ZJ and have a full set of chains for it. You can run chains in whatever 4x4 setting you want.
Unread 02-23-2010, 10:51 PM   #11
zjzach
1993 ZJ 

Found one with chains on all four,

Unread 02-23-2010, 10:52 PM   #12
rooster51
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
I'd not want to pull the bumper cover on mine. Also, I imagine you'd need the new speedo gear or else everything would be off. I'm not sure how that works, but I don't think the swap is complicated. You just need to be able to get under the Jeep on a day when it's not snowy outside. I'll have to look into that. I might just have to stick with the 30's plan for the time being. All I need is to tear up my bumper cover. LOL I do seem to have the worst luck.

And I've been wanting to lift mine since before I discovered JF, and maintenance does mean you just can't build up the cash to do that. Besides, I'm also trying to save up for a move to Washington. Only the job market there is preventing that, also. Nowadays I'm getting impatient and just wanting to build up the Jeep anyway.
I wont change the speedo gear until I re-gear (only up to 3:77), I just happened to stumble upon the 31s w/ soft 8s on the JF classified for a good price.

OP: Hi Jacker terminated, happy threading!
Unread 02-23-2010, 10:53 PM   #13
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

So Zach, this is what I wonder, if you have 30" A/T's on with chains without issues, why wouldn't 31's, which are what, a realistic .5" more in circumference and 1" more in width, work without issue even with the bumper cover, which I see you have on there?

I read mixed messages on this, but I keep hearing people having no issues with 31x10.5x15's on stock suspension. Do you have the Up Country Springs by some chance?

Unread 02-23-2010, 10:55 PM   #14
rooster51
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjzach View Post

I run 30x9.5s on my ZJ and have a full set of chains for it. You can run chains in whatever 4x4 setting you want.
??? Did you read that in the ownwers manual? Am I wrong? I could have sworn I read in the owners manual that chains can only be worn during FT operation or transfercase damage may occure.
Unread 02-24-2010, 12:15 AM   #15
SlimGoaty
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I think you'd be fine with running chains on your jeep. I personally would prefer the cable chains or whatever they are called. Lower profile and just seem like they wouldn't shred your jeep apart if one broke.

My buildup on CherokeeForum

97 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231, RE 5.5, Tom Woods DS, AA SYE, 35x12.50 KM2,
Upgraded Harness, PIAA bulbs, Rustys Tie-Rod, L&L Fab bumper,
Quadratec 9500i Winch, Aussie locker, 4.88's
SlimGoaty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.