JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Grand Cherokee General Discussion (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/)
-   -   Can easily pull my key out (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/can-easily-pull-my-key-out-2236577/)

rmperry814 03-20-2014 08:43 AM

Can easily pull my key out

Well even when i'm driving down the road i can just yank my key out with no effort in any place the ignition is in. Is it just having a worn out key because mine is pretty worn.

Chronic442 03-20-2014 09:27 AM

I have the same problem. I had a new key made at the dealer because I lost my keys *face palm*. Its just the ignition worn out. You probably have too many keys, or key chains, which will cause premature wear due to weight.

I just left it, as it doesn't effect the ability to turn the jeep on or off.

Kingr98 03-20-2014 04:09 PM

I just figured out a few weeks ago that mine would do this also.

The only downside I have found so far is that if I get in a hurry I accidently turn my key to accessory before I pulled my key out. My radio stayed on for a little while until I went back out. I guess I wasn't paying attention when I got out.

95knight 03-20-2014 05:05 PM

My 1998 doesn't pull out but my brothers old 1997 Ram 1500 you could pull it out.

1998_ZJltd 03-23-2014 01:31 AM

saturn just issued a recall on a lot of their line .. due to the fact that the key came or comes out and the steering column locks up and can cause the driver to loose the ability to steer the vehicle which has been determined to cause fatal accidents ....

so ... to the one that DON"T think this is a big deal ... you should reconsider that ... an ignition switch is not that expensive .... go out and fix it ... it will be a small price to pay to fix and make your Jeep as safe as you can ....

could be a bit difficult to deal with the fact that for fifty bucks you could have keep control over the steering and not had it lock up on you just before you got in an accident because it " doesn't hurt any thing" unless you crash into some unsuspecting other vehicle or just into a tree....

Don't cheap out on safety of your vehicles .... just skip an oil change instead ..

colinzj 03-23-2014 01:27 PM

This ISN'T a big deal (at least with regard to safety). Saturn's dealing with a completely different issue; the ignition switch is moving by itself from run to accessory.

Cylinder wear allowing you to remove the key is as old as the hills and is not itself dangerous. You can yank the key out, but you're still in run.

If there's no longer a good effort required to move between ACC/OFF/RUN, yeah, definitely change that out ASAP. That's dangerous. But if you can just pull the key out? Worth fixing but not urgent.

1998_ZJltd 03-23-2014 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colinzj (Post 21495865)
This ISN'T a big deal (at least with regard to safety). Saturn's dealing with a completely different issue; the ignition switch is moving by itself from run to accessory.

Cylinder wear allowing you to remove the key is as old as the hills and is not itself dangerous. You can yank the key out, but you're still in run.

If there's no longer a good effort required to move between ACC/OFF/RUN, yeah, definitely change that out ASAP. That's dangerous. But if you can just pull the key out? Worth fixing but not urgent.

I am not speaking out of my butt on this .... My son has a saturn ion and I have read the recall notice that came in regard to this ... the ability to turn a car off and on at the key is a safety issue .... and the key falling out of the ignition should be a sign that something is wrong and should be fixed ....

but If you are one of those that looks at you wheel studs and figures that you have five and that only one or two are stripped but the three or four should hold the wheel on ... after all most cars have four so it SHOULD be ok .....

yes thats a bit different but I guess I am just one of those that if its broke you fix it ... not turn a blind eye to it ....

95knight 03-23-2014 04:56 PM

Colinzj is right. My sisters had it, it was to easily remove the key and when it was removed the cylinder could turn by itself there fore causing the problem. But FROM HAVING CUT HERS AND AN OLD CHRLYSER IGNITION OPEN THEY ARE COMPKETELY DIFFERENT.

1998_ZJltd 03-23-2014 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95knight (Post 21500977)
Colinzj is right. My sisters had it, it was to easily remove the key and when it was removed the cylinder could turn by itself there fore causing the problem. But FROM HAVING CUT HERS AND AN OLD CHRLYSER IGNITION OPEN THEY ARE COMPKETELY DIFFERENT.

first off YOU NEED TO use spell check .....

and even with the spelling errors I have no idea what your trying to say ...

and by the way the saturn recall covers back to a 2001 ... the last Zj's are just a bit older than that ....

The time now is 06:34 PM.