Callandor's Build - Inferno WJ Overland - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Callandor's Build - Inferno WJ Overland

Rough Country LED BracketsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAll Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and

Unread 10-21-2014, 08:42 AM   #1
Callandor

Callandor's Build - Inferno WJ Overland

I stumbled across this forum about a year ago and saw pictures of lifted WJs and fell in love with them. I began my search for one shortly after that, but lost my job working for a startup, and had to hold off for a while.

Fast forward to two weeks ago I purchased a 2002 Overland with 161k miles. Prices for these vary a lot in my area (Texas) but I was fortunate enough to find this one through a private seller and picked it up for $4700. The motor was rebuilt 6k miles ago along with putting in a whole bunch of new engine/drivetrain parts and from what I can tell it's in great shape. The rebuilder also paint matched the engine block red.

Looking at the undercarraige I doubt it was ever offroaded...But not for long! I am a DIY guy so this is going to be a fun build that I hope you guys enjoy. I am also an electrical engineer by trade so I'm hoping to do some pretty cool things along the way as I modify it.

My daily is a 2005 Acura TL and I've never owned a 4wd vehicle or suv before so this is all new territory for me. Any comments or advice is welcome..I've learned a lot from the guys on this forum and would love to give back.

side-shot-2.jpg  
side-shot-1.jpg

interior-1.jpg

front-stock.jpg

engine.jpg

Callandor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2014, 08:54 AM   #2
Callandor

First thing was I had to do was get rid of that chrome grill. I cleaned, sanded, and primed it before spraying it with gloss black paint. I like the way it turned out, not too glossy and not to matte. I also added some mesh behind the grill vents as well. The mesh I used were gutter guards from Home Depot that cost like $3 for a 5'' x 36'' piece.

I am still not sure what I want to do with the headlights. Still too much chrome for my taste. I will either take them apart and plastidip them black or just save some of my time and buy the blacked out spyder ones. Depending on the output, I will put HID's in them or retrofit them somehow. I've had them in my TL for years now, and I've gotten spoiled with the HID output.

I also need to black the cladding on the bumper to match the grill and the tow hook. I'll probably use bed liner spray like I did with my rails.
black-grill.jpg  
Unread 10-21-2014, 09:12 AM   #3
Callandor

I've been busy this last week trying to get more mods done to make this thing driveable. I kid of course, but I really don't like driving around stock! I tinted it and put in the Avital 4103 and DBall remote start combo. I wish there were pics of the Avital install, but I was working in an apartment garage with bad lighting and forgot to take them. All I got from the PO was two keys with no remote, so remote entry and start was a big upgrade for me!

I just put on my painted overland rails last night using Rustoleum bed liner spray. Painting them was pretty straight forward, but prep time was long due to the amount of cleaning involved, removing rocks, tar, etc.

I wanted to keep with the black and red theme and the grey rails didn't really match anything. I paint matched the end caps as well, but am not decided if I should've gone all black. What do yall think?
painted-rails-2.jpg   painted-rails-1.jpg  
Unread 10-21-2014, 03:38 PM   #4
Spyder328
2000 WJ 

The red end caps with the black rail look perfect IMO. It looks factory
Unread 10-22-2014, 10:45 AM   #5
Jeeples
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

^ Agreed. I'm really digging the paint matched end caps. I'm always a sucker for a clean Overland, nice buy.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2014, 08:13 AM   #6
Callandor

Just put on my Rola roof rack last night. The jeep didn't come with cross rails, and after looking at other installs, I didn't like how how the rack sat on the rails. So, I fabbed my own rials out of 1'' aluminum square tubing. The rails were coated with bed liner spray as well as the rola wind deflector. I don't like having company decals on my vehicles and this sticker was not coming up.

Getting these rails made was a lot of work! While I probably gained 2'' of clearance, I'm hesitant to say it was worth it when I could have just paid $60 for some oem rails. Between cutting, bending, sealing, painted, and mounting with u-bolts (that needed to be trimmed too) it turned out to be more work than I expected.

I also went crazy with sealing the Rola after reading all the posts about it rusting. Multiple layers of black RTV silicone in all screw holes and connections.

I'm starting to find out when someone on a forum says a job is easy and takes say 2 hrs..you should just go ahead and triple the time. Maybe they just have a cache of tools and never run into any issues along the way.

Either way, it looks good and I'm happy its finally on. Just got my IRO lift kit in so it's on to that next!
rack4.jpg   rails2.jpg   rack2.jpg   rack1.jpg   rack3.jpg  

Unread 11-03-2014, 02:14 PM   #7
Callandor

I'm glad you guys like the end caps. I hope they hold up okay. If not, it's really no hassle to take them off and touch up.

Don't have much to add this weekend. I put in new taillights. I've seen these on other cars in the forum. After putting them in, I have to say it's probably the best $150 I could spend on this car. It really gives the rear end a refresh and more modern look.

Also, plasti-dipped my rear emblems black to match the front.

The step pad cladding will need to be rhino lined as well...that faded gray does no favors. It's on the list when I take off the rear bumper to fix a crack in it.
tail-light.jpg  
Unread 11-03-2014, 08:30 PM   #8
LovesThatBeep

It looks amazing... Rides like a dream, too
LovesThatBeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.