Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Cadillac Build Thread

29K views 265 replies 39 participants last post by  RedRock527 
#1 · (Edited)
Alright, I've been wanting to make a build thread on here for a while. I think I can finally make one now that i have a Jeep is "worthy". :laugh: OK, so I bought this jeep over craigslist for $1800. This was a good deal because I sold my old heep for $2000. I wanted a ZJ because the interior is AWESOME, plus I wanted a V8 and rear coils vs. leafs. Besides, this ZJ has 145,000 and my old XJ had 225,000. :D Right after I got the new Jeep I wet-sanded all the pin striping off and debadged it. It looks sooooo much better IMO. I fixed the exhaust because the PO just had the factory cat on there. I added a muffler and a tailpipe. I also shortened the hanger on the pipe so its tucked up nice and close to the bumper. I put some JY front hub units in the D30 because they were HORRIBLE!! You could literally see the balls in the bearings, when they are supposed to be a sealed bearing. :p Then I had it in North Dakota for a few months because I was working for my uncle during harvest. I also picked up a TC skid and some rear tow hooks for free from another JF member. I picked up a hitch too for $40 from ANOTHER JF member. :eek: When i got back, it was time for the lift! I ordered some IRO 3.5" front coils, and some nice Bilstein 5125 shocks (Thanks Spife!). I also threw some Treadwright 31x10.5 Guard Dog M/T's (Goodyear Wrangler MT/R Style). I've had it lifted for a couple months now and I love it. As soon as I can afford it, im going to get the 5.5" Critical Path kit from IRO. So far between the lift, tires, and Jeep itself, I've only put about $2600 into it! I have many plans for this truck in the future, I just need to make more money before I can get too far! Here are the pics, I will be updating on all upgrades. I attached some Photobucket links to see my full albums for the Jeeps! THANKS FOR LOOKING! :thumbsup:

HOW THE JEEP SITS CURRENTLY

-OLD JEEP-

-NEW JEEP-

Day i picked it up.

Got some new wheels!

No stripe or badges

Lift installed

See less See more
#75 ·
^ LOL ..... just got back, didn't find any worthy 242's BUT all is not lost..... I found a 4cyl XJ that still had the HP dana 30 in it. For those of you who don't know why that axle is special, it's because it has 4.10 gears. I paid 100 for it. I am going to clean it up and paint it. I will either save it and stick it under my jeep along with some gears for the 44A or will sell it and make a couple hundred bucks. Only took 30 mins to pull ( thank God for electric impact wrenches!!)

#77 ·
oh yeah, it will be like stock again.... it would be awesome! i just dont wanna fork over the money to re-gear the back. 250.00 for just the R&P.... i have to add the cost of the master install kit. My uncle MIGHT be able to set up the gears, but if not i would have to pay a shop.......................................... Unless i could find a fellow Jeeper near me ;)

#78 ·
Man, I'm glad I got this axle! It's cleaning up very nice

#79 ·
Pulled out the two piece axle on the HP 30.... then went to the wrecking yard to get a one-piece shaft and went to take off the axle nut on the donor jeep............ guess what i forgot? :eek:

#80 ·
lemme guess either breaker bar or axle nut socket lol

#81 ·
haha forgot the 36mm axle nut socket........... and brought the Snap-on electric impact :drool:

#82 ·
:drool: ahhhh so jealous. I can think of so many times that would have come in handy to have in my possession.

#83 ·
yeah.... pulled a JY HP 30 in a half hour.

#84 ·
Sooooo, sold my 249 tonight and got a 242 from a 97 XJ. I just realized that the speed sensor plug is different! Also i forgot the little grommet in the shifter linkage! so now im trying to see if i can get the sensor back from the guy which will be a pain cause he lives in denver. and i will prob have to get a grommet from the stealership. I'm excited to have 2WD

#86 ·
Yes, and the rear DS will have to be shortened or legnthened.

#87 ·
Got the rear DS shortened and everything works GREAT, except i have some minor vibes around 65. But this will be fixed when I do my SYE. I LOVE having 2WD :laugh:

#89 ·
If i punch it, i can break a tire loose. Thats with 31's and the stupid torque management. I'll have to be careful when i get 4.10's

#91 ·
I'm not sure, you would have to do some searching. :)

#92 ·
Going to order my IRO HnT soon! Also going to put in a new windshield :)

#93 ·
i ran my 4.0 and 249 without the front shaft for quite a while. i punished my tires a tad bit. well esp over the winter in the snow. but now with my new front ds it drives just like before if not better. and silas, i may still-ish be a noob, but what is a HnT??

#95 ·
A Hack-And-Tap (HnT) is a style of slip yoke eliminator. You drill a hole in the end of your output shaft, tap for threads, and bolt a yoke to it. Now you have aslip yoke eliminator. do a search and you will find DOZENS of pages with pictures. Its the cheapest way to get a SYE. :highfive:

I didn't think ZJ's Had Torque management?
Yeah, they did.... heard about it from GC4X4 :thumbsup:

#97 ·
I had no vibes after the lift (sitting around 4" in the rear) until i did my TC swap. I think I have them because I had my DS shortened a tad too much. I ONLY get vibes between 60-73ish if i'm on the gas, none what soever when coasting. That makes me think it's for sure the DS. But I dont wanna have to mess with it getting lengthened or anything. $200 and I will have no problems, besides, I plan on going higher....... with LA's! :shhh:

#99 ·
Sweet, who are you going with for your HnT?

#100 ·
Did an oil change, took off shock boots, replaces crappy rezeppa front drive shaft with an OEM ZJ U-Joint DS.
Also threw in a few random pics, tires and no boots. And a picture of my tucked exhaust.

I'M GETTING ROCK SLIDERS NEXT WEEK!

#102 ·
Yep, picked up a yoke for like 5 bucks from the u-pull

#105 ·
I marked a spot on the top of the pinion nut and gave it a few zips with the impact so it was facing straight up again. I don't care if it's not perfect cause i'm swapping in a HP30 with 4.10's when i get the back re-geared. I just didn't want to have to deal with a broken front DS out on the trail like some "other" forum members. ;) DS only cost me $25, plus a can of rustoleum. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.