buy 2015 GC or 2014? And install Hitch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > buy 2015 GC or 2014? And install Hitch

Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippi

Unread 09-26-2014, 02:05 PM   #1
lh_1996

buy 2015 GC or 2014? And install Hitch

I am in the market of getting a GC. I am not sure if I should go for a 2014 model as the dealer has discount ($5K+) without negotiation -- I hate to negotiate car price, very bad at it. I want to get the car before winter comes. I only drive off road on some weekends, not always.

Another question is, I want a hitch installed for carrying bicycles. (I am not going to toll heavy stuff.) Do I have to go for a Trailer package? Or just have dealer install the hitch be OK?

Thanks a lot!

lh_1996 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2014, 09:48 AM   #2
ISUzj
2005 WK 

not sure if you will look at this again( having 1 post and all) but yeah there should be a few to pick from with a hitch on it, go for the 2014 since not a lot has changed to the 2015's.

If you find one you really like without a hitch, I am pretty sure the dealer can get one one( factory or aftermarket) for about 5-600 bucks.

Come back if you get one, it's a great community to get into!!
~~[_---_____---_\-\\\\\\-\
~~~(o) )-o---(o) )-o---) )
94ZJ 5.2 Red; Rusty's 3" Coils,Skyjacker hydro's, Brush Guard, Custom Rear Bumper, Custom Roof Rack, KVG Quick Discos, 31-10.50-15's DAYTON TIMBERLINE A/T OBA 2 Gallon tank
Can't buy it? BUILD IT!! Do it cheap too cuz your in college

My Build Thread Align your jeep yourself B N B#175
ISUzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2014, 01:38 PM   #3
MakeMyJeep

I just picked up a 2015 GCL with no trailer hitch. Went to Amazon and bought a tubular one for 128.00 (with tax and prime delivery). Took 15 mins to install, so easy, remove 4 existing bolts, (tools needed is a 1/2 racket with a 21 mm socket) and install your new receiver. That's it. The GCL also has the connector underneath the bumper wired. All you need is a "T" connector to go from 7 pin to 4 pin if using a utility trailer for the lights.

Also you need the dealer to program the computer to activate the lights for the plug.

Read the reviews for additional information for the below items on the Amazon site.

BTW it states that this does not fit the 2015, but it does, i already installed it and so have others on the Amazon site.

Parts needed: Curt 13182 Class 3 Trailer Hitch, CURT Manufacturing 55515 T-Connector
Go to curtmfg.com for install instructions for the curt 13182

Last edited by MakeMyJeep; 10-08-2014 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: Add item web site install instructions.
MakeMyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2014, 10:33 AM   #4
lh_1996

Thank you for the replies. Did not realize installing a hitch could be that easy -- thought I need to drill and etc. Thanks, MakeMyJeep. This will make shopping easier ;-) Very likely I will go with 2014 as my wallet is "thin"...
Unread 10-31-2014, 11:58 AM   #5
lh_1996

A quick update: I got an 2014 JGC. While negotiating, somehow, the towing package became included (which came with a full size back up tire as well). Based on my low negotiating ability, I am happy with the price.;-) I am happy with the car too.... Then I read about the 2014 JGC recall (something about loss control?)... I am still happy with the car ;-)) ISUzj & MakeMyJeep, thank you for the reply!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.