Bushing help? Time to replace? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Bushing help? Time to replace?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 11-14-2010, 02:33 PM   #1
TontoKowalski
2004 WJ 

Bushing help? Time to replace?

I don't know crap about this and could use some advice.

My ZJ is annoyingly squeaking over every bump in the road.

Do these bushings look like they need to be replaced?

If so, it's best to go with OEM rubber ones right? Doesn't that cut down on squeaking, right?

Oh yes, that white chalky sh*t is white lightning grease. It seems to help out just a little bit.

This one looks chewed up up in the front. Looks like something was ruptured and leaked out maybe? No clue. The lip up front is dented.

This one looks worn away on the bottom left side. Like it hasn't been replaced in 14 years or so...which I'm positive is the case.

And this one looks OK, but it's really soft. I can squeese it pretty easily with my fingers.

TontoKowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
BlackDaddyZJ
1994 ZJ 

if you can swing it, id go with one of those bushing kits from energy suspension, the poly bushings will ride so much better than the oem rubber, plus they wear a lot longer and dont split if the get cold a lot. the first pic you showed i dont think that bushing can be replaced by istelf but im not 100% on that
IRO 4.5" Lift
35x12.5 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's

98 5.9
Restored and daily driven
BlackDaddyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2010, 11:00 PM   #3
TontoKowalski
2004 WJ 

do you know how I can determine what kit I'll need?
they've got a bunch of different sizes here:
Energy Suspension Parts: Grand Cherokee, Jeep Grand Cherokee 1996
TontoKowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2010, 11:27 PM   #4
Kolak
Vendor

I'll be happy to assist you in replacing the various bushings on your Jeep. Send me a PM and we'll chat.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2010, 09:53 AM   #5
AlphaLorde
1998 ZJ 

do not run a poly bushing on something you want to ride nice

they are squeaky and dont absorb the bumps as well as the rubber. they transmit the feeling right to you

oem rubbers lasted over 200k on mine so

now if you are racing polys might be the better an opition because they will keep everything a firmer
Unread 11-15-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

I have the Energy bushings on my swaybar, but one is coming apart, I believe. I'd have to crawl under the Jeep and check, but last I looked it wasn't look fantastic. I'm keeping an eye on it. I keep them greased, too.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.