Bumper or front hitch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Bumper or front hitch

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 06-22-2010, 11:05 AM   #1
78cj5owner
1978 CJ5 

Bumper or front hitch

Ok well I have a 95 GC no lift yet but soon I already have a winch for it. My problem is I dont want to spend 800 for a bumper. So im thinking ill just do a front receiver hitch but only thing I dont like is how far they stick down and I know it will decrease approach angles is there a hitch that mounts up higher? I tore off my plastic bumper piece so im not worried about cutting it up or anything. I almost want a hitch that sticks out no lower than that metal bumper. Do they make anything like that or is it basically make your own deal?

78cj5owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2010, 11:25 AM   #2
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

You can sleeve the frame rails and add the receiver to that. My buddy had a system like it and it worked fine. I'll see if he has some pictures.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
78cj5owner
1978 CJ5 

Anyone else have any ideas. Im leaning more towards a receiver hitch cause then I can put it on the back of my truck if I needed to. Anyone know of a cheap place to get a hitch doesnt have to be new
Unread 06-22-2010, 06:58 PM   #4
Spike300
1993 ZJ 

Build a bumper with a spot fo a hitch, iv seen some before they look good, when you dont want the hitch in it, put in a D-ring.

5.2-242 tcase-44a-30x9.50x15 MT/R-American Racing Burst Rims -[COLOR="Red"]Optima[/COLOR] -E3 plugs-[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Cu[/COLOR]st[COLOR="DarkGreen"]om[/COLOR] Pa[COLOR="DarkGreen"]in[/COLOR]t-Amsoil-Addco Front and Rear-polyurethane bushings

[B]To be installed[/B]: RE gen2 discos, military battery terminals
[B]To be rebuilt:[/B] HP30
[B]To be received:[/B]
[B]To be paid for:[/B]

[B]Next on the list:[/B] complete redo of brakes and
lines
[B]Needed:[/B] fittings, coil of brake tubing, Russel speed bleeders

Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #75
Spike300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2010, 07:51 PM   #5
78cj5owner
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike300 View Post
Build a bumper with a spot fo a hitch, iv seen some before they look good, when you dont want the hitch in it, put in a D-ring.
Only problem is I dont have a welder
Unread 06-22-2010, 07:53 PM   #6
Spike300
1993 ZJ 

hmm, buy one lol, i got mine for 75 bucks at a auction, go to consignment auctions, or when businesses sell out, can get them cheap. i went to one they were selling for 50 bucks!! take it they were stick welders, mine is to but heck its worth it

5.2-242 tcase-44a-30x9.50x15 MT/R-American Racing Burst Rims -[COLOR="Red"]Optima[/COLOR] -E3 plugs-[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Cu[/COLOR]st[COLOR="DarkGreen"]om[/COLOR] Pa[COLOR="DarkGreen"]in[/COLOR]t-Amsoil-Addco Front and Rear-polyurethane bushings

lines

Unread 06-22-2010, 08:18 PM   #7
78cj5owner
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike300 View Post
hmm, buy one lol, i got mine for 75 bucks at a auction, go to consignment auctions, or when businesses sell out, can get them cheap. i went to one they were selling for 50 bucks!! take it they were stick welders, mine is to but heck its worth it
Yeah but dont really see a point on spending money on something that im not used to and something I wont use for long. Ive used a mig welder and thats it im getting a cheap hobart here in a couple months just dont have 600.00 to shell out on one right now and plus you have to figure im only 18 so cheap is my only route for right now
Unread 06-22-2010, 09:11 PM   #8
Spike300
1993 ZJ 

Something u wont use for long!? U know how much u could make for your jeep with a welder?

lines

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.