So here we go , showin off my build . It's been a long experimental process until I got it narrowed down to a fine running ZJ .
Here we go , this was my jeep as I bought it . 1995 Orvis with a RRO 4.5 lift , just over 5" with the UC springs , all on stock arms , oh yeah , I was a newbie almost 2 yrs ago , now , I would have ran from the deal with dust flying
First thing I did was remove the spray can clear coat the PO tried to repair the paint , then , I buffed it up with some wet sanding and good compounds
Forgive the chrome wheels , they screwed me over on my order , but I was tired of rubbing on full lock , they weren't on for long
this first pic is all cleaned up after the strip and wax , and some new lights next . Following up were new rims and tires .
It was somewhere around this time I rebuilt the 249 and installed new stock control arm bushings
By now I've installed new stock sway bar links and bushings , tsk tsk , still learning . Did the plenum gasket , an issue , but not the problem . Weather started to warm up , and now the build gets busy . I found a great deal on an engine , $1000 bought me a 2001 dodge Ram 5.2 , trans , and t-case with 50K original , I was able to sell the trans and case for $1800 , which gave me the engine for free and $800 to build the engine
From the proceeds of the engine , I bought a Mopar perf PCM , an MSD coil , MSD wires cap and rotor , 3" exhaust , sensors , oil and shop supplies for the engine including paint and gaskets . That is one tight engine bay for swapping engines ! Fitting 3" pipe through the rear isn't exactly a roomy venture either , it took a second try
As requested by Dillon , here's a little how to on the skid . Very simply done . Cut the top lip /flipped edge flat , and trim for the tow hooks . Here how it's attached , just 4 points , but it would hold my weight without flinching . It now hangs on my garage wall
The upper bolts were tricky . I drilled the holes , but had to feed the bolt out from the inside . There is no way to get a nut on the inside . Once the bolts were in the bumper , I slipped the plate over and they tightened up great without holding the bolt head . Once tight , I trimmer the bolt flush with the nut .
The lower bolts got drilled into a small steel plate that runs along the bottom . It fit perfectly , and made for a strong mounting point
This plate is available from any Westin dealer , I'll have to dig up the part #
The next mod was the bumper , and yes Dillon , some lighting ,
It's a Cherokee Or-fab Bumper . I got it for $500 cash , made a few brackets , and bolted it on . The winch I got from the local Craigslist for $180 , just a cheapo 8000lb'er , but hey , it pulls my buddies FJ out every time