Build Thread - Project Lowis - Page 177 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Build Thread - Project Lowis

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

View Poll Results: How much lift?
4.5" 14 26.42%
5.5" 39 73.58%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 06-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #2641
Ricochet88
1993 ZJ 

Do it! Then John can have someone to wheel with at gsw!

R.I.P. TROY EDWARDS "bigbluezj94"
Ricochet88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 10:53 PM   #2642
311LJ
311Popo

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones

Did I lock it? There's no Moderator log in your thread and I can't remember but I don't think I did. I guess it's one of the perks of being able to lock/unlock threads.

I miss Moab and I miss having a Jeep! I don't want another Grand Cherokee though. Maybe a JK Unlimited Rubicon.
I think it was Arlo, people would ask me questions about my build and he closed it.. Lame.
07 WK Overland, Hemi, Chrome bug deflector
[SOLD] Jimmer 01 WJ *2009 GCOTY* WJ Build Thread
*UTAH JEEPCREW #01*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffjeeper View Post
I ♡ John
311LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 09:04 PM   #2643
LoPhat

OK ... I'll start by admitting that I suck for not keeping this thread more up to date. I'll have to post some build updates and pictures soon. For the moment, however, let me quote the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones View Post
I'm about ready to push this thing off a cliff. In the last month I've had to replace the alternator, fix the A/C, replace the radiator, thermostat, and upper and lower radiator hoses. The exhaust has a huge crack in it before the cat and is falling off (it sounds really cool though lol), the steering wheel is off center (easy fix), the brakes pulsate, and there's a loud groaning noise when I let off the gas at freeway speeds.
I'm feeling a bit like pushing this Jeep off of a cliff myself at the moment. The A/C was fixed again, the exhaust system has been repaired three times, the brake rotors and pads have all been upgraded with new parts, the brake master cylinder has been replaced three times, the brakes have been bled more than a dozen times, and there is still a loud noise when letting off the gas at freeway speeds. We'll come to this stuff later...

What's bothering me right now is the Jeep's cooling system. In temperatures over (roughly) 95 degrees the ZJ runs too hot. I know the thermostat is OK because it will hold a perfect 195 in cooler weather. With the Arizona summer here, however, I see the temperature gauge showing around 215 to 225 degrees. It can take quite a few miles to get to that temperature (it gets there quickly at faster speeds), but once it is up there it won't come back down even at idle.

Brian replaced the radiator, thermostat, and hoses in July of 2011. Shortly after that I bought the Jeep and experienced problems with it running hot. It turned out to be the electric fan. It had so much dirt and carbon inside of it that the low speed setting wasn't even working. I thoroughly cleaned it, and the Jeep held a perfect 195 degrees for the remainder of that summer and then all through the winter. With it running hot again this summer, I once again checked the fan. It was working, but the high speed setting seemed a bit weak. This week I opted to replace the fan with a new one, but it didn't change a thing.

So other than the water pump, what's left that hasn't been replaced and/or could be causing the Jeep to run so hot?
LoPhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #2644
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

well it is pretty damn hot in arizona
Unread 08-02-2012, 02:03 AM   #2645
joze

You might want to check out last few pages of narnwv's build thread, he has a wj though but pretty same problem with the 4.7 running hot. He installed a Taurus fan and as far as I know now he's a happy camper.
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/my-non-build-fix-when-gets-broken-thread-1240817/"]My non-build thread[/URL]| [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/black-jeep-society/"]Black Jeep Society member[/URL]
[QUOTE=Ljohn221;12072741]You can't start a new civilization without jeeps[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=dukie564;11573618]
[B]Epic boobs saving threads since 1978[/B][/QUOTE]
joze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #2646
LoPhat

I just found in this thread that the water pump was replaced on 11/27/2010. That rules out the likelihood of the water pump being the cause of the cooling issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones View Post
Replaced the water pump yesterday because it was leaking pretty bad.
I'm now leaning toward the possibility that the thermostat is not opening all the way. Since a thermostat is inexpensive, I ordered a new one this morning.

EDIT: I replaced the thermostat early this evening. There was no improvement made by doing this.

Last edited by LoPhat; 08-02-2012 at 06:53 PM..
Unread 08-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #2647
LoPhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurdaJs View Post
well it is pretty damn hot in arizona
My guess is that the expression "hotter than hell" originated in the Arizona desert...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joze View Post
You might want to check out last few pages of narnwv's build thread, he has a wj though but pretty same problem with the 4.7 running hot. He installed a Taurus fan and as far as I know now he's a happy camper.
I don't think a Taurus fan would offer anything that the new two speed fan I installed isn't already doing. One thing I would like to do, however, is change the temperature sensors on the upper and lower radiator hoses. Jeep's factory fan settings are low speed at temperatures from 214 degrees to 219 degrees and high speed at temperatures of 220 degrees or higher. Other than a pursuit of cleaner emissions, why would they have chosen such high temperature settings?!

EDIT: I went to a junkyard today and looked at the Taurus fans. They seem to be identical to the 5.9 fan other than the plug. Interestingly enough, the replacement fan I just bought for the ZJ has the Taurus style plug on it, so I snagged a pigtail kit from one of the wrecked cars at the junkyard.

Last edited by LoPhat; 08-02-2012 at 06:52 PM..
Unread 08-03-2012, 06:51 AM   #2648
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

How old is the coolant itself?
Unread 08-03-2012, 09:53 AM   #2649
WJHype
2001 WJ 

@LoPhat: That loud noise when you let off the gas is most likely your front pinion bearing. I had the same problem. Pull your front driveshaft and it should go away. If it goes away then you will know.
Unread 08-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #2650
LoPhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep View Post
How old is the coolant itself?
It should be about a year to a year and a half old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJHype View Post
@LoPhat: That loud noise when you let off the gas is most likely your front pinion bearing. I had the same problem. Pull your front driveshaft and it should go away. If it goes away then you will know.
I think a lot of the noise is coming from the front pinion bearing too, especially since I found the pinion nut was loose when I purchased the Jeep. I have had the front driveshaft out a few times, however, and the noise never went away.
Unread 08-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #2651
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Cant remember if this jeep has an SYE or not but check for play in the slip yoke if it does. As for the cooling issue, is it over-heating with the A/C on or off? Did you replace the thermostat with another 195 or did you do a 180 degree tstat?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.