Build Log - 03 WJ RCX w/ Wheels and Tires - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Build Log - 03 WJ RCX w/ Wheels and Tires

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-11-2014, 10:14 AM   #1
ThaBeefs
2003 WJ 

Build Log - 03 WJ RCX w/ Wheels and Tires

Hi guys. After much debate and changing my mind about everything about 1200 times I finally settled on the Rough Country X-Series 4 inch lift kit with Dick Cepek DC-2 17x9 wheels and 265-70-17 Goodyear Fierce Attitude M/T tires.

I did order the "Jeep" steering stabilizer as well ( single not dual )

Everything should be in by this weekend and HOPEFULLY I will be getting it all put in as well.

This will be my first build and hopefully an enjoyable one.

If anyone has any advise before I delve into this project please feel free to show me the light.

I already plan on NOT using the T-Case drop kit and NOT using the shock relocation brackets due to having properly backspaced wheels.

I will be doing transfer case, front diff, and rear diff fluid change as well as front and rear brake pads and rotors while I'm going to be under this beast.

Anyways pics and write up to come. Enjoy

Well... bad news and good news

Bad news is my tire salesman called me and said that the Fierce Attitude M/T's went on back order.

BUUUTTT the salesman was very helpful and hooked me up with a set of Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs soooo kinda happy about that.

ThaBeefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2014, 10:15 AM   #2
ThaBeefs
2003 WJ 

Okay so to start things off I went ahead and picked up new transfer case fluid, front and rear diff fluid, brake clean, lock tight, and black RTV sealant in prep. for the upcoming lift and tires ( wanted all fresh and new everything on fluids to start it off right.

Got my tires in that I ordered from dicounttiredirect.com

Goodyear Duratrac 265/70/17 10 ply

Now at first I was a tad upset because my lift and wheels got delayed but Tri-State pulled through on my order and got it delivered Friday ( made me VERY happy )

Dick Cepek DC-2 17x9 5-5 4.5 backspacing

Rough Country X-Series 4 Inch Lift with red shock boots.

After wheels come in we decided here at the shop to test the fitment of wheels and see just what they might look like without the lift on lol. As you can see they BARELY fit.

Unread 02-11-2014, 10:15 AM   #3
ThaBeefs
2003 WJ 

Okay so today me and a co-worker and his friend tore into this bad boy at roughly 9 am. For the most part this build went fairly well given that none of us have ever done anything like this before. Made things alot easier that we had use of our shops 2 post lift and air tools ( would have taken loads longer without it )

Now I do kinda apologize for not having pictures of the install as i went, but we was under a time crunch and really didnt have time to stop every 5 minutes for pictures so Im sorry but will get under it another time and take loads of pics for instructional purposes.

I will say that for the most part the instructions that was given with this kit are fairly straight forward and easy to follow. I so wish that Rough Country would have taken more time to properly label bags with the nuts and bolts in them and make them a little bit more clear but maybe they will improve.

I opted to leave off the t-case drop due to other member telling me that it is not needed and makes things worse so I did. i also left off the rear shock bracket re-locators again due to members saying that they shear off.

For the most part it all went together fairly easy but i will say that the rear A-Arm bracket was a mother f*%^&er to take off and put back on. There is no space to get a ratchet or air gun. You have to wrench all 3 by hand and let me tell you .... this jeep had 165k on the odo and those bad boys DID NOT want to come out. Had to use a cheater pipe on the 21 mm wrench to get them off.

Oh P.S. we did this entire build without the use of a spring compressor ( would have been easier but I couldnt find ours in the shop just just did it without )

After we got the whole kit installed and bolted on and FINALLY dropped down I started to back out of the stall to put the jeep on the alignment lift and the moment i started to turn left I hear the front passenger side bumper getting raped by the duratac ( uggg ) I then proceeded to turn right ..... problem number two ( I could BARELY turn right ... and by barely i mean a 6 point turn to get the jeep out of the stall lol )

I FINALLY managed to get the Jeep up on the alignment lift ( clock ticking ) and I get out and walk to the front off the Jeep and instantly notice something isnt right ..... the axle is hanging out on the passenger side my an inch or two more than the drivers side ( efff my lift ) so i grab a 19 mm socket and 18 mm wrench and zip the track bar off and spin it down shake the jeep and let it settle to is own natural position and bolt the track bar back up and boom now it doesnt look like the front has downs now lol ( I know .... Im going to burn in hell for that comment ).
Unread 02-11-2014, 11:38 AM   #4
derekmac

2002 WJ 

I'm looking at getting that lift in the summer possibly, so I'm interested to see/hear how you make out with it. Good luck with the build!
Future: 4" lift and lockers

Build thread.
http://www.gofundme.com/d8jlwo
derekmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2014, 12:08 PM   #5
Timbo24
2000 WJ 

You should start soaking everything with pb blaster. Do it everyday till you are gonna install your stuff
Timbo24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2014, 12:29 PM   #6
ThaBeefs
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo24 View Post
You should start soaking everything with pb blaster. Do it everyday till you are gonna install your stuff
yeah im stopping by auto parts store and getting a few cans and starting the soak tonight ^_^ make my life easier.
Unread 02-13-2014, 08:14 AM   #7
ThaBeefs
2003 WJ 

continuing from above :

Down to the last 20 minutes I throw the heads on each wheel run through the check and see the print out on the Jeep ... only caster on drivers side front is right .... everything else is out BUT just barely out of spec by like .1-.2 ..... knowing that i cant possibly get it aligned in time I pull this bad boy off the lift and roll it outside.... this time i can actually turn the wheel left and right like i should be able to ( i still have loads of contact but I will trim to fix this )

First thing I do i find a mount of snow out back ( whats left over from the snow storm ) and I do a little flex check then run straight up and over that bad boy lol.

Took it from there to the car wash to get the grease and s&%t off of it then down the road for the test....

Suprisingly the Jeep rides VERY well ..... I know once I get the Alignment into spec it will ride better but no death wobble ( even with the lack of new steering stabilizer ( coming in Monday ).

Anywho I just snapped two pics for now of the Jeep ( I will get more pics and post them soon but couldnt leave you guys without something to peak at ^_^ enjoy )

Unread 02-15-2014, 05:51 PM   #8
ThaBeefs
2003 WJ 

updated
Unread 02-16-2014, 07:16 AM   #9
robrilla
2004 WJ 

Thanks for the details. I'm looking at lifting myself.

Few questions.
  1. What front driveshaft are you using?
  2. Why 4.5 back spacing, stock is 6 (I think).
  3. Are you using the kit track bar?
  4. Did you use a Superchips or SpeedDRD to fix your speedometer?

Looks good :-D
robrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2014, 08:00 AM   #10
ThaBeefs
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrilla View Post
Thanks for the details. I'm looking at lifting myself.

Few questions.
  1. What front driveshaft are you using?
  2. Why 4.5 back spacing, stock is 6 (I think).
  3. Are you using the kit track bar?
  4. Did you use a Superchips or SpeedDRD to fix your speedometer?

Looks good :-D
Thanks
1. I'm still using my stock 2003 double cardan style drive shaft.
2. I've read that around 4.5 backspace seems to be the sweet spot for the look that I wanted and not having to use the shock relocation bracket which I've hear can shear off.
3. Yes I am using the kit supplies adjustable track bar.
4. I have not used anything yet on the speedometer. Come Monday morning I'm going to run it down to my other dealership ( I work at ford and my dealership owns a jeep dealership to ) and see how far I can adjust under factory settings and just be happy with it .... Not going to spend a few hundred just to adjust speedo by 5 mph
Unread 02-16-2014, 08:34 AM   #11
SpitFyre79
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaBeefs
Okay so to start things off I went ahead and picked up new transfer case fluid, front and rear diff fluid, brake clean, lock tight, and black RTV sealant in prep. for the upcoming lift and tires ( wanted all fresh and new everything on fluids to start it off right.
Mind listing everything you got and ballpark of what it cost? This is next weekends project for me. Also did you use the Mopar additive?

JERSEY STRONG - KCCO
SpitFyre79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2014, 01:57 PM   #12
ThaBeefs
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitFyre79 View Post
Mind listing everything you got and ballpark of what it cost? This is next weekends project for me. Also did you use the Mopar additive?

JERSEY STRONG - KCCO
Everything is listed at the top of the build log.

For all my wheels tires lift and fluids I believe it was roughly $2200 taxes and all

I did not have time to do ask the fluid changes but yes I will be using Mopar friction modifier
Unread 02-16-2014, 02:58 PM   #13
SpitFyre79
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaBeefs
Everything is listed at the top of the build log. For all my wheels tires lift and fluids I believe it was roughly $2200 taxes and all I did not have time to do ask the fluid changes but yes I will be using Mopar friction modifier
I just wanted the fluids list/cost which I do not see above.

JERSEY STRONG - KCCO
SpitFyre79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2014, 10:21 AM   #14
ThaBeefs
2003 WJ 

sorry took me so long to get back with you ( royal purple 4 Qts @ 15.99 ea. - Autozone , Mopar NV Fluid ( i work at a dealership so i get a discount was less than $9 ea. )

forgot in pic the 2 4oz bottles of friction modifier @ $7 ea.
Unread 02-19-2014, 10:26 AM   #15
ThaBeefs
2003 WJ 

Okay so after install of lift kit I had some pretty bad rubbing action when attempting to steer in either direction so out come to trusty Jigsaw

Took about 1.5 inches by the time it made it to the bottom ( i tapered from the top down as u can see in the pictures

after a bit of off road and flexing i see that i still need to trim just a tad bit more

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.