brianestep's bodacious WJ build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > brianestep's bodacious WJ build

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 09-28-2011, 08:40 AM   #1
brianestep
2000 WJ 

brianestep's bodacious WJ build

After many sleepless nights debating about it, I have decided to start a build thread. My hope is that peer scrutiny might force me to undertake more projects and do a better job on them. Because my girlfreind finds it necessary to take our camera to work everyday and snap photos of blades of grass and silly cloud shapes, I rarely get a chance to document the projects I begin. BUT! I do have a few, so here's what I have done so far, in chronological order.

-Installed rear hitch, with bad-to-the-bone CSU cover
-2" Skyjacker BB, then mounted 245/75/16 Goodyear MT/R's
-Painted stock Timberline wheels black, omitting JEEP center cap
-Installed Rusty's air tube with Amsoil 6x9 filter and pre-filter
-Removed BB and replaced with 4" Rough Country X-series and steering stabilizer
-Deleted front bumper
-Painted grill graphite gray
-Installed 1 10" JL W0 subwoofer
-Replaced front rotors and pads with Stillen Cross-Drilled and NAPA Adaptive One pads
-Installed Tom Woods driveshaft
-Quick-disconnect rear seats (oddly enough, this is my most used mod.)
-Installed marine battery terminals

-Brian- 2000 WJ Four liter, 4" RC springs; Bilstein 5100s; JKS trackbar w/KOR bushings; Stillen rotors; KOR (RC) 1.5" wheel spacers; 265/75/16 Treadwright Guard Dogs; Rusty AirTube, Amsoil Cone; Thule M.O.A.B.; Bumper delete; rear seat disco
brianestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2011, 09:04 AM   #2
brianestep
2000 WJ 

A few marvelous pictures... and it only took me three tries to find a reasonable picture size
jeep.jpg   jeep7.jpg   jeep8.jpg   jeep9.jpg  
-Brian- 2000 WJ Four liter, 4" RC springs; Bilstein 5100s; JKS trackbar w/KOR bushings; Stillen rotors; KOR (RC) 1.5" wheel spacers; 265/75/16 Treadwright Guard Dogs; Rusty AirTube, Amsoil Cone; Thule M.O.A.B.; Bumper delete; rear seat disco
Unread 09-28-2011, 09:09 AM   #3
brianestep
2000 WJ 

more...
jeep2.jpg   jeep3.jpg   jeep4.jpg   jeep5.jpg  
Unread 09-28-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
alwaysHI
2003 WJ 

looks good man!
may i ask what made you take off your bumper? and are you still rocking 245/75/16 tires?...you could go bigger with that size lift
alwaysHI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2011, 10:06 AM   #5
brianestep
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysHI View Post
looks good man!
may i ask what made you take off your bumper? and are you still rocking 245/75/16 tires?...you could go bigger with that size lift
Thank you sir! Yea the pictures aren't that good, I need more! A suicidal deer jumped into my wheel well on the highway. It did an outlandish amount of damage for being a small doe. Smashed fender, bent axle, and ripped half of my bumper off. At first I just cut both sides off and left the middle piece to protect my radiator (I'll try and find some pics of how that looked, it was silly). Then I just decided to remove it when I painted the grill. As for the tires, I'm looking into 265's, but two things are delaying that. A lack of funds and I like the stuff-ability of the smaller tires. I'm sure I'll upgrade before the snow gets too heavy though.
Unread 09-29-2011, 11:04 AM   #6
brianestep
2000 WJ 

Marine Battery Terminal write-up: After a recent off-road expedition, I returned home to clean out the engine bay, and realized how terrible my battery setup looked. Really unacceptable... So being inspired by Billzcat and a few others, I decided it would be a good time to upgrade connections in anticipation of a whole new battery as well. I haven't quite figured out how to type in between images, so i guess I'll let them speak for themselves...

Nasty and terrible terminals
battery1.jpgbattery2.jpg

Terminal removed, still nasty

battery3.jpg

Cleaned battery top and wire brushed that bad boy

battery4.jpg
Unread 09-29-2011, 11:07 AM   #7
brianestep
2000 WJ 

Those don't look very conductive

battery5.jpg

Stripped and cleaned cables

battery6.jpg

New lugs and heat-shrink

battery7.jpg

Finally, new positive terminal and awesome felt pad underneath

battery8.jpg
Unread 09-29-2011, 11:08 AM   #8
brianestep
2000 WJ 

Much better!
battery9.jpg   battery10.jpg  
Unread 09-29-2011, 04:13 PM   #9
alwaysHI
2003 WJ 

nice plans!
i've been wanting to do marine terminals for a while now, i think i may have to go to the boat shop today and pick some up. good job dude, keep it up!
alwaysHI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2011, 04:29 PM   #10
brianestep
2000 WJ 

Yessir... I got a little bit of jump in voltage, but it mostly just doesn't look like garbage anymore. Plus it'll be easy to add accessories (front hitch for portable winch and lights). I got my terminals at NAPA, for what that's worth. I wish I would have started this build thread along time ago, I've been working on the JEEP for 3 years, and have done quite a good number of small things to it, would have made some great write-ups.
Unread 10-05-2011, 10:44 AM   #11
brianestep
2000 WJ 

My Jeep weakness is skipping class to work on small things that I otherwise wouldn't have time to do. I am currently skipping my thrilling Taxation class (actually, it is pretty cool) to fix a bothersome little issue, in preparation for a more bothersome big issue. Couple weeks ago, my windshield began to fog up a bit and smells of coolant were subtle, yet evident. Relax, I say, it can't be THAT... frequent checks of my coolant reservoir reveal constant levels... or so I thought. Finally, yesterday, my LOW COOLANT warning appears. Ridiculous I say, I just checked that, and yes it is half-full looking, BUT a flip of the cap shows that the half-full level is just sludge that has been there since the last flush I did about a year ago, and the actual level has been decreasing. Blame me for being busy, I guess... sorry WJ. So now I will clean the reservoir and replace the coolant (even though radiator should remain full until my heater core undertaking...if that ever happens)
Unread 10-05-2011, 10:45 AM   #12
brianestep
2000 WJ 

placeholder for coolant res. pictures
coolant2.jpg   coolant4.jpg  
Unread 04-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #13
brianestep
2000 WJ 

I've been neglecting this build thread. So I made a new shovel. Have you ever had to decide between a scooping snow shovel and a pointy digger shovel? I know, it's the pits. No more worries with my new double-ended (stop thinking that), quick disconnect, all power wielding Shovelnator 2000!

What prefaced this act of ingenuity? Well, as the seasons change, I change shovels. But why? Here's my friends... I used them a bunch, but separately.

Well, I want them to work in unison, and stop collecting dust in the offseason.
001.jpg  
Unread 04-03-2013, 05:17 PM   #14
brianestep
2000 WJ 

So, I cut the rivets off each shovel head003.jpg,
then drilled out a hole large enough for a 3/16" hitch pin.004.jpg
Then, I ground down the metals shards.006.jpg
Then I test fit to the back of my tire. I cut the shovel handle, which is really pvc pipe over a wooden dowel, down to size. I then polyurethaned the dowel to prevent rot (as can be seen in the picture) 005.jpg
and gorilla glued the dowels back into the pipe for reinforcement. Then I spray painted the shovelheads flat black, and mounted them to the handle using those hitch pins.012.jpg
pretty sweet right? You can take each individual head off, but I also made the length ideal so that I can use the "neck" of one shovel head as a handle while using the other end to shovel.
I then mounted it to my tire carrier using 3" ubolts013.jpg015.jpg
No applause necessary. Just make one yourself!
Unread 05-05-2013, 10:06 PM   #15
4x4Jeep
2001 WJ 

your earlier pictures look like mine...same color, same tires and size, same lift
any updates?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.