Bretthn WJ Mild Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Bretthn WJ Mild Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 05-26-2012, 09:51 PM   #1
Bretthn
2001 WJ 

Bretthn WJ Mild Build

With all of the information and ideas I have stolen from other members on the forum I figured I should start a build thread of my own. Hopefully it can help or inspire someone else.
This will be my daily driver as well as the family adventure rig for me, my wife, and 4 year old daughter. Hopefully our adventures will eventually progress into some off the beaten path multi-night expeditions.
About Dinosaur as my daughter has named it.
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
4.7 liter v8 gasoline engine
QuadraDrive system with front and rear verilock axles
130,000 miles
This is the only photo that I have from when I bought it stock in March 2012.

Sorry if some things don't make sense, this was originally posted on expeditionportal and I am transferring it over.

Bretthn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
Bretthn
2001 WJ 

The first things I took care of when I bought it were the basic maintenance items like oil and filter, air filter and spark plugs. I also upgraded the extremely tired battery terminals to some that we used to use on HMMWVs when I was in the military.

I eventually added a new DieHard Platinum group 65 with 930 cold cranking amps. I also found some great terminal covers. I may eventually add a second battery but for now this thing should be fine.

Unread 05-26-2012, 10:05 PM   #3
Bretthn
2001 WJ 

New Suspension

After hours of reading and searching about lift, tire size, comfort, and load handling capabilities I made a decision. I chose to go with Old Man Emu HD, 936 front and 945 rear. They provide 2.5-3 inches of lift.

I also replaced all 8 spring isolators as mine were extremely worn and probably contributed to at least .5 inch loss in ride height before replacing.

I replaced the steering stabilizer with a Moog Super Trail Boss, and put in a JKS adjustable track bar.

I ordered some Bilstein 5100 shocks and cannot wait to get the rears, the fronts have arrived but the rears have been on back order since before I ordered mine.

From what I have read the wait will be worth it. Everything else has been installed. I ordered everything at the same time and got a killer deal from Nick with Kolak Performance and Offroad. He is the owner and a really nice guy who talked to me by phone for over an hour answering questions about what I need and don't need when I placed my order.
Unread 05-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #4
Bretthn
2001 WJ 

Tires

I was really torn on tires but eventually chose the Nitto Terra Grappler based on the performance vs treadwear. I have read many people getting over 70,000 miles out of a set. I went with 245/70r17 since this is the largest tire that will fit in the factory spare tire well. The matching spare is more important due to the QuadraDrive so I will be on a 5 tire rotation.

I could have fit a 265/65r17 which is the same diameter but a little wider but wanted the narrower tire for economy and also the wider tire would have made the spare tire floor stick up a little. I am pretty pleased with the lift height and tire size since I wanted something that would look factory to unknowing people. I think this is the way it should have come off the line.

This is how Dinosaur sits for now. Please leave comments and suggestions. I will continue to update.
Unread 05-26-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
HaViiK
2001 WJ 

The Jeep looks great! Personally I think it would look better with 16" rims, but that's just me being picky. What's next?
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/haviiks-01-wj-slow-build-1067820/"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Black HaViiK:[/COLOR][/URL] [COLOR="DarkRed"]2001 WJ, 4.0, 42re (rebuilt at 100k), 30/35, Rough Country X-Series, JCR Stage 3 Sliders, Yakima Megawarrior & Big Powderhound, Grille Guard, KC Daylighter 130w, Custom Sub Box & 2 Kicker 12" CVR
[/COLOR]
[SIZE="2"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/zj-wj-faqs-read-first-contact-mod-changes-additions-591821/"][COLOR="DarkRed"]WJ/ZJ FAQ[/COLOR][/URL][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][URL="http://www.facebook.com/steven.T.wright"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Facebook. Wheeling stuff in there.[/COLOR][/URL][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][URL="http://www.youtube.com/user/Thunderheadrcx?feature=mhee"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Youtube Channel. GoPro/Wheeling stuff[/COLOR][/URL][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=rulppa(chat);10944366]whats with people (steve) with those monster sigs. reply is usually like ':E' then 2 pages of signature lol[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Sarahdactyl;11226293]THE WINNER IS REDHOTCHILIDOG!!!!111!!1!!!!(OBNXIOUS HUGE BEEFSTEW STYLE FONT) I will PM winner for details[/QUOTE]
HaViiK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2012, 10:59 PM   #6
Bretthn
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaViiK View Post
The Jeep looks great! Personally I think it would look better with 16" rims, but that's just me being picky. What's next?
Thanks, I actually thought about picking ups some 16" JK stealies but decided to keep the stock wheels. I think the next big thing will be JCR stage 3 sliders. Also high on the list is to get some recovery points and skid plates.
Unread 05-27-2012, 01:18 AM   #7
JerzeyBoyWJ
2003 WJ 

nice jeep ....i used to have terra grapplers but they wore down way to fast for me ...nitto uses a really soft rubber compound makeing them great in the rain/snow but horrible for DDs

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jerzeyboy-03-wj-build-1155698/
JerzeyBoyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2012, 08:31 AM   #8
Bretthn
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyBoyWJ View Post
nice jeep ....i used to have terra grapplers but they wore down way to fast for me ...nitto uses a really soft rubber compound makeing them great in the rain/snow but horrible for DDs
Wow, that is the complete opposite I have heard about treadwear for these tires. I hope that is not the case for me.
Unread 06-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #9
Bretthn
2001 WJ 

Busy Day

We are planning a trip to the Outer Banks in a couple of weeks and needed more storage space in the Jeep. I am happy with the outcome, and just need to figure out how to incorporate a simple small fold down table system. Please make suggestions on how I can do that if you have any experience, pictures, or ideas.

I left access to the cd changer pocket which is now converted to storage.

I also have access to the spare without removing the shelf.
Unread 06-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #10
Dusk53
2000 WJ 

Damn, good looking build thus far. Were pretty close as well, Raleigh NC here

East Carolina University
Dusk53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #11
MoonyJohn
Blow on my Avatar

2004 WJ 

Beautiful, I love the mild lift look. Very clean
Unread 06-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #12
mrowaan
1999 WJ 

Looking good. Has the lift effected the ride quality at all?
Unread 06-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #13
Bretthn
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrowaan View Post
Looking good. Has the lift effected the ride quality at all?
I have not received my rear shocks yet so I am riding on worn ones that are too short. I will give a ride quality review once the shocks are in.
Unread 06-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #14
Bretthn
2001 WJ 

I got to work on the Jeep some more this morning and added some quick fist mounts to the hatch. Also out of the "attach to jeep" box

I attached them into the hatch structural support rather than to the shin plastic cover using some bits of hardware.

You can see that the hardware sits flush behind the plastic which took a lot of trial and error measuring and readjusting.

I am actually surprised at how strong this setup turned out. I don't think my axe and shovel are going anywhere.

Unread 06-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #15
2aul1642
2001 WJ 

Looks awesome man!
2aul1642 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.