Bort62's Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Bort62's Build Thread

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!

Unread 03-30-2009, 11:56 PM   #1
Bort62

Bort62's Build Thread

Hello All. I'm fairly new here, and have been lurking for a few months. Recently got ahold of a '98 ZJ and this last weekend turned it from this :

Into This :

This forum helped a lot, and the operation went fairly smoothly. I used IRO's F>R setup strait out of the box. Only issue I had with it was the 1/2 bolts they provided for the front sway bar were the wrong size, and I had to use some 3/8" hardware I had on hand. No big deal.

This is just the beginning, and I hope to update this thread over the coming months with all of the other crap I'll be doing. I'm a fairly experienced welder/fabricator, so I've got big plans I'm new to the Jeep/4x4 thing - but not the general car thing, so I'm excited to expand my envelope.

A few questions regarding what I've done so far:

Can someone help me figure out what speedo drive gear I need? Went from the stock 215/70/15's to 32s.

I still have to get an alignment - can anyone recommend specs for good street manners? Also, I called around today and the impression I got was that only the toe could be adjusted (and that makes some sense given the live axle and non adjustable control arms) - but I've got a noticeable amount of positive camber after the lift, maybe 1.5*-2*... any suggestions? I can't see how lifting a non IFS truck would mess w/ the camber, but I don't assume to know everything.

Recommended tire pressures? I'm running used BFG's w/ ~ 50% tread left.

I removed the rear sway bar when doing this... good idea or bad idea? I can easily throw it back on, and I've noticed a little bit of float in the rear when upsetting it cornering but nothing most people would even notice. I'd rather not have to screw w/ disconnects on the rear when on the trail.

Death Wobble! Get it pretty bad about 10% of the time around 45 mph. Hoping the alignment helps. I'll also be replacing the worn out stock SS as well as the sloppy drag link end I discovered while re-centering the wheel.

Thanks!

Bort62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 11:59 PM   #2
indredsnake99
1998 ZJ 

no clicky....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort62 View Post
Hello All. I'm fairly new here, and have been lurking for a few months. Recently got ahold of a '98 ZJ and this last weekend turned it from this :

Into This :

This forum helped a lot, and the operation went fairly smoothly. I used IRO's F>R setup strait out of the box. Only issue I had with it was the 1/2 bolts they provided for the front sway bar were the wrong size, and I had to use some 3/8" hardware I had on hand. No big deal.

This is just the beginning, and I hope to update this thread over the coming months with all of the other crap I'll be doing. I'm a fairly experienced welder/fabricator, so I've got big plans I'm new to the Jeep/4x4 thing - but not the general car thing, so I'm excited to expand my envelope.

Can someone help me figure out what speedo drive gear I need? Went from the stock 215/70/15's to 32s.

I still have to get an alignment - can anyone recommend specs for good street manners? Also, I called around today and the impression I got was that only the toe could be adjusted (and that makes some sense given the live axle and non adjustable control arms) - but I've got a noticeable amount of positive camber after the lift, maybe 1.5*-2*... any suggestions? I can't see how lifting a non IFS truck would mess w/ the camber, but I don't assume to know everything.

I removed the rear sway bar when doing this... good idea or bad idea? I can easily throw it back on, and I've noticed a little bit of float in the rear when upsetting it cornering but nothing most people would even notice. I'd rather not have to screw w/ disconnects on the rear when on the trail.

Death Wobble! Get it pretty bad about 10% of the time around 45 mph. Hoping the alignment helps. I'll also be replacing the worn out stock SS as well as the sloppy drag link end I discovered while re-centering the wheel.

Thanks!
2007 sahara 2 door wrangler stock bought 02/08/2011

Western Mass 4x4 KEVIN'S OFF ROAD IRON ROCK OFFROAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJones View Post
You'll learn a lot. I didn't know anything when I first joined this site either. (not sure if that's changed at all :laugh:)
indredsnake99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 12:04 AM   #3
tizzdizz
2003 WJ 

try again for no click

Quote:

Into This :

Thanks!
74 Nova - 2" drop and disc conv. Sold.
My videos
tizzdizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 12:26 AM   #4
tfgnt16
2009 WK 

I hope removal of that Obama/Biden sticker was part of the transformation
Unread 03-31-2009, 08:02 AM   #5
rugermack
1995 ZJ 

Looks good , nice stance.
95' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 148k, 5.2, NP242, 46RH, 4" RC lift, all new adjustable ca's(2 IRO front uppers and the rest RC adjustables), nitro shocks, JKS TB's, Jet Chip, Dynamax cat back, Magnaflow cat, GTP hood vents. 31" Pro Comps with Rock Krawler "D"s. Westin brush/grill guard with Hella 500s, 411's, Solid diff covers, detroit locker rear, power lock in front, SYE and Tom Wood's front/rear shafts, RE discos, BPE's, d-rings front and back, factory tc and rad skid, hitch, Sliders next.
03' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, (wifes Jeep) 99k, 4.7 5 speed auto, K&N, KYB shocks, drilled-slotted rotors, All the toys.
2000' Ford Superduty, F250, 7.3, 198K, 37's, too much to list.

Built Not Bought #257

Parts for sale d30 and d35 parts http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f126/...-parts-1004499
rugermack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 08:16 AM   #6
blackjack12982
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Looks really good. Looking at this is kinda making me rethink my 2.25" BB, and instead doing the F>R.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f130/...ights-2342649/
blackjack12982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 09:53 AM   #7
besthaticouldo
1994 ZJ 

looks good...nice lift man!

Greatest Thing You've Ever Seen
besthaticouldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 10:12 AM   #8
Bort62

Can someone suggest a steering stabilizer? Inexpensive is good, cheap is not.

Thanks.
Unread 03-31-2009, 10:46 AM   #9
besthaticouldo
1994 ZJ 

tenneco SS from IronRockOffroad.com

thats what i got, i have no problems with it at all. it does the job well.

Greatest Thing You've Ever Seen
besthaticouldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 10:51 AM   #10
DothanJeep
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfgnt16 View Post
I hope removal of that Obama/Biden sticker was part of the transformation
01'WJ Project Cheap fix.
DothanJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 01:09 PM   #11
Falcor
2005 LJ Wrangler 

My jeep looks exactly the same as this, except for it being stock . How is the gas mileage and power with the 32's?

(sold) 07 JK Rubicon Unlimited, 97 ZJ Laredo - 4.0L, 98 TJ Sahara, 78 CJ-7, 88 Grand Wagoneer
www.real4x4.iwarp.com
Falcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 11:51 PM   #12
Bort62

Update:

Got a few minutes to work on the bumper the other day.

Unread 04-21-2009, 12:18 AM   #13
theksmith
2003 WJ 

no clickity

Quote:
Update:

Got a few minutes to work on the bumper the other day.

theksmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2009, 11:23 PM   #14
zjzach
1993 ZJ 

bump for any progress on the bumper?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.