BoostinChick's ZeeJay Fix-It Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > BoostinChick's ZeeJay Fix-It Thread

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 01-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
BoostinChick
1998 ZJ 

BoostinChick's ZeeJay Fix-It Thread

...really disguising a build thread

Borla Exhaust Install
Tune-Up Time!
KOR Steering Box Brace Install

Hey folks! Been lurking and posting where I can for some time now, just thought it would be an oppurtune time to show my ride. The original intention for this ZJ was to be my winter beater, and road trip cruiser to avoid racking up miles on my Subaru. I am also a fan of 4x4's, love mudding in the Pine Barrens, and camping. That's how these stories always start, right?

Pick up this 97' gem (saying this in the most sarcastic way possible), and paid good coin for it too -

Test drove it, and all and everything seemed fine. Drove it around town, maybe put 50 miles on it before I started noticing some pops and creaks. First thing I checked was the suspension and looky what I found -

Replaced with Moog parts, and thought I would be on my way. Then I remembered it's a Jeep, and found some nice ATF+4 leaks. I started joking with my Jeep friends that mine was just having a visit from Aunt Flow

Decided it was time to do routine maintanence

...also did front/rear diff fluid changes as well, and used Lube Locker gaskets.

I was not into the wood interior accents, felt it was a bit older than my tastes. PlastiDip cured this

Same with the grill, although this is not too custom

So, after all that still had ATF leaking and pinged my Jeep buddies about it. They made me aware that the rear output shaft seal is notorious for going bad. With their help to drop the transfer case, turns out they were right.

They also found out that the transmission was JB welded at the tranmission cooler port. FUN TIMES! Luckily, I was able to score a 42RE AND NP231 combo for cheap on Craigslist! NP231 was complete with shifter gate, linkage, bezel, etc.

When it was time to swap out the transmission, decided to keep the NP242. I feel it was better suited for daily driving in the New England states. I will hold onto the NP231 and rebuild if/when the NP242 decides to let go.

Also decided to thhrow these bad boys in

Just when I think everything is hunky-dory I start to hone in that rear diff howls. Do some research on JF, my rear diff is going. Had it confirmed by a shop. So now the plans for the Ford 8.8 rear start to forumulate.

My to-do list this far
Phase I:
- Replace cracked exhaust manfiold [ordered]
- 99+ Intake Manfiold [...on the hunt]
- Replace motor mounts [ordered]

Phase II:
- Lift it!
Still back and forth between OME HD + Bilsteins or the IRO 3.5" Benchmark kit with new rear springs. I have a couple feelers out for used kits, but if that falls through, will contact Kolak.
- Adjustable Track Bar
I am between IRO and KOR on this one. The KOR kit is pricey, but everywhere I read it's well worth the price. I am open to suggestions on other brands as well (JKS, RE, etc.)
- Adjustable LCA

Phase III:
- If my rear diff has lasted through this, let the Ford 8.8 build commence!

...also big shout out to F.A.S.T of West Chester (which just happens to be down the street from Quadratec )This shop has pretty much fixed all my mistakes, or got me out of a rut when I was stuck trying to figure out what the heck was wrong.

Oh! And the Scooby (Subaru) for anyone that bothered to stick with me in this thread for this long

Unread 01-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
BoostinChick
1998 ZJ 

Oh yea, so everyone now and again I got a CEL for "Emission Control Leak (gross leak)" and was all "WTF!" I was hanging around the front end while the motor was running with a propane torch (unlit) and no leaks. Stupid Jeep is stupid, thinks it has a leak....HA!

So, the other day while filling up with gas I saw a nice puddle as I was filling up. Got home, took the filler neck off and -

Stupid jeep not so stupid
Unread 01-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

Eek! Time for a trip to the junk yard! Might as well replace those hoses with new ones too. And if that crap disintegrated into the gas tank...

Also, Ill see about the shipping of the OME and Bilsteins this Saturday.
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
BoostinChick
1998 ZJ 

No problem, man! Take your time, I am away anyway. I actually found a replacement on eBay for under $50. It's been replaced already I removed the hoses completely and shook them out to get whatever I could. That reminds me, since all that was removed I decided it was a good time to get this done
Unread 01-20-2013, 08:54 PM   #5
BoostinChick
1998 ZJ 

So, looks like I will need to do do a Phase 1/2 Got a call from the shop and it looks like one of my axle u-joints has a good amount of play, and I need to replace the front brake/rotors. I won't pass the safety inspection without replacing these parts. Since I will be removing the axles to press out the u-joints may as well do a mini-refresh of the front end.

Phase 1/2 [COMPLETE]:
Spicer 5760X Axle U-Joints (non-greasable)
Timken Axle Hub Assembly
Wagner ThermoQuiet Ceramic Brake Pads
Wearever Front Rotors

Finished up getting these bits installed last week.
Unread 02-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #6
BoostinChick
1998 ZJ 

Front end now drives like butta', so decided to take it out during Snowstorm Nemo. You guys get stuck with my crappy cell pic since I forgot my good camera and tripod.

If the tax man is nice to me this year I may invest in a better lighting set up. PAFirefighter11 retrofitted HID's into the OE headlights, and hinted he would lend me a hand whenever I got the materials.

Teaser shot courtesy of JF Member: PAFirefighter11:
Linky: http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...HID-Conversion
Unread 02-10-2013, 02:28 AM   #7
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

That is a clean subura, I enjoy it! Good build plans also
Unread 02-10-2013, 02:30 AM   #8
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Oh, and for the wood trim, did the remove it first? And was it spray on plastidip, or paint on? I'm thinking of doing the same thing, wood trim is sorta not my style
Unread 02-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #9
BoostinChick
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GODMODEX View Post
Oh, and for the wood trim, did the remove it first? And was it spray on plastidip, or paint on? I'm thinking of doing the same thing, wood trim is sorta not my style
Plasti Dip from a spray can. The wood trim is attached to the glove box, so I just removed the glove box and taped it off. Didnt feel like popping, or possibly breaking the clips in attempt to separate it from the glove box. The other trim surround pieces around the dash just pop off.
Unread 02-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #10
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Coming along nicely Boostin..

I'm impressed with Ricks and the some of the other projector retrofits on this site, i'd like to eventually piece the kit together. I'll run my e-codes till then.
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 09:34 PM   #11
BoostinChick
1998 ZJ 

Phase I - Work in Progress

Finally had some down time to start working on this thing.

Phase I:

- Replace cracked exhaust manifold
- 99+ Intake Manfiold [...decided to hold off]
- Replace motor mounts

Took me about an hour to get down to this -

Typical exhaust crack -

IronMan4x4Fab Mounts vs. a semi-torn OE -

Getting the motor mounts back in took me longer than I would have liked (~3-hours), and it started to rain so had to stop here -

...will hopefully be able to button everything back up tomorrow and be on the road again. I was also debating whether or not to replace the freeze plugs since it's in front of me.

I also now have a transfer case leak I have to hunt down -
Unread 05-19-2013, 08:45 AM   #12
spidermonkey
1998 ZJ 

Fun, I had many of the same issues with mine when I bought it in 08. The trans seal leaked, cracked manifold, rear end growl, worn out motor and trans mounts. Good work.

My driveway build here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/spidermonkeys-98-zj-build-716209/
speedo reading x spd gear tooth count/gps speed = new spd gear for dead on accuracy
North Shore Wheelers www.nsw4x4.com
spidermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #13
BoostinChick
1998 ZJ 

Thanks! Coming along slowly, but surely. The weather decided to take a turn on me and rain all the day. Since I will be waiting for the weather to clear and more down time I decided it would be a good idea to replace the freeze/expansion plugs on the driver's side to be proactive. I figured for $20 would be good insurance for the mind. Went ahead and ordered these - http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...rm=freeze+plug

Dorman Part Number: 567-017
Unread 05-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #14
BoostinChick
1998 ZJ 

Went back at it today to replace the freeze plugs. Found out why I had a weird coolant smell. Whoever worked on it before saw the slight leak/crack in the freeze plug, and used JB weld to fix it. Must have worked just enough for them (JB Weld chunk on the right).

...did not have issues with the other 4, they came right out with a good whack o' the hammer.

All fresh! Put a light coat of Permatex Indian Head on the outer lip of the freeze plugs as some insurance. I also stuck the freeze plugs in the freezer for a few hours, and they popped right in during install. Just need a few light taps with a rubber mallet to get them seated flush.

This weekend is a Holiday weekend, so hoping to have this buttoned back up!
Unread 05-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #15
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

dang, you got a fixer there. Comin along nicely. I have an oil leak somewhere I gotta track down. Not looking forward to that

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.