Body protection, exoskeleton tubing size. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Body protection, exoskeleton tubing size.

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-02-2013, 10:32 PM   #31
Trick440
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
With that kind of setup you're still going to run the possibility of dents and it won't keep tree limbs and branches off the body.
I understand this. This is only going to stop 90% of the dents, thats a percentage I can live with. Scratches I have a ton already.

Trick440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #32
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Conduit is not DOM. DOM has more strength under load before failure or deformation.

As for your comments, weren't you asking about identifying lifts and how to set up a 5.5" lift 6 months ago? Then paying someone $60 to adjust your drag link?
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #33
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

If you would have provided that example picture in the first post, we probably would have had a better idea of what you were talking about. Either way, sounds like you've already made up your mind.

I suggest taking this question over to Pirate and seeing what their opinion is.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 10:46 PM   #34
Trick440
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
Conduit is not DOM. DOM has more strength under load before failure or deformation.

As for your comments, weren't you asking about identifying lifts and how to set up a 5.5" lift 6 months ago? Then paying someone $60 to adjust your drag link?
I didn't say dom, I said steel tubing. Dom is more strength under load because its one piece with no welds, other tubing is joined by a weld.

Yup I asked about lifts, not sure about the drag link, never paid anyone. Not sure how thats relivent either, unless your trying to imply I couldn't possibly know anything because 6 months ago I asked a question. I read a lot and tend to have great ideas frequently. This is also a new hobby, but just like every hobby before it, I go all in and become proficient quickly. I'm kinda a baller like that.
Unread 06-02-2013, 10:48 PM   #35
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_WJ View Post
I suggest taking this question over to Pirate and seeing what their opinion is.
Actually, do this. No one on this site wheels, certainly no one in this thread.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 10:54 PM   #36
Trick440
1994 ZJ 

I'm staying here you guise make me feel smart.

Edit: Jkjk, i'm stopping at this point i'm just trolling for my own amusement.
Unread 06-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #37
sandman92k
1998 ZJ 

any time your in california, send me a PM i would love to take you wheeling and show you some very interesting trails, just make sure you bring a trailer to put your rig on so you can get it home.
sandman92k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 08:25 AM   #38
Trick440
1994 ZJ 

I always trailer the jeep. If you come to michigan I'll extend a similar offer. We have the huge rocks and the tight trails take your pic you can get stuck on either.
Unread 06-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #39
sandman92k
1998 ZJ 

that sounds cool, if your refering to my profile pic, thats my backyard.
sandman92k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 09:57 AM   #40
biggoofy
1996 ZJ 

This brings the lulz that's for sure you can't fix stupid!!!

96 ZJ HP44 / 9"
90 XJ on 33s
RIP Troy aka BigBlueZJ94

FroBot Fab FTW

[URL="http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?22776-Biggoofy-s-96-ZJ-build!-**Building-axles**"]My Build[/URL]

Need quality parts call Andy at Ironman4x4fab!!!!!
[url]http://ironman4x4fab.com/index.html[/url]
[/CENTER]
biggoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 11:09 PM   #41
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

As others have said, it seems like you already have the idea you want. This type of tube sounds similar to HREW. I've seen bumpers made of it. Its cheaper, but not as strong as DOM because the welded seam.

I wheel nearly once every other week. If not more. With some local trails, Rubicon and fordyce aren't far.

That tube will still bend on hard hits. I've dented my DOM sliders. And they weren't even really hard hits.
Unread 06-04-2013, 12:00 AM   #42
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
It's not just seamless/ welded tube that makes the strength difference, there's a lot of different types of steel manufactured. DOM tubing is typically higher quality steel than HREW or some other crap quality steel tubing.

OP, as for the body protection why don't you fab tube fenders? Make 'em wide enough on the front to cover your tires and you've provided protection for the front fenders. Rear is a different story unless you make the tube fenders or exo- cage stupidly wide, which makes 'em look like crap. Building an exo cage/ half- exo like on the Wrangler pic you posted, you're going to be denting the roof area anyways when hitting a tree. There are a lot of tight trails around here with big trees and slippery mud, there's really no way to avoid dents if you try wheeling on trails like that unless going very slow and winching all the time because of that.

I agree with others, if you're looking to avoiding dents on either your doors or rear quarter panels, you need rolled mild steel plating to protect them. If you're looking a t keeping the weight down, use thin abrasive- resistant steel plate and bend them to follow the body lines. 0.088 or .125 is plenty thick if you get high quality steel and it'll keep the weight down. using tubing the weight increases suprisingly rapidly, and does not give you the protection you're looking for.

I've built tube fenders on my ZJ (check my build thread), I've got box steel rocker replacement with rocker tubes - and I've got dent on both of my rear quarters. You're talking about fitting on tight trails, and looking at widening your ZJ by at least 1.5" in the rear on both sides if you want to keep the panels away from trees with the tube. Something doesn't match here, right?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #43
fast540
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick440

Says right in the first post, from the bumper to the rock slides. Let me guess someone is going to ask how I plan to mount it to the front bumper?

You guys do realize I wheel this thing every 2 weeks and we go pretty hard. Is there even anyone posting in this thread that wheels even once a month yr round? Even the hard core wheelers around here only average 6-8 trips a yr.

This is basically what I'm doing, except a lot less yellow and preferably not so ugly. Mines gonna be tied into the sliders way smoother, no gaps. You guys act like I invented this idea. ..
I was just playin with ya. I get out 8-9 times a year with a few romps in the local woods thrown in and kinda sacrificed the body work in process so connecting my bumpers sliders ect would be pointless but I still smile picturing your wj wraped in bubble wrap and romex :-)
fast540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #44
roughknight69
1995 ZJ 

Why not just do something like this for the rear? Seems alot easier then what your trying to do
image-1289760666.jpg  
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:35 PM   #45
Trick440
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughknight69 View Post
Why not just do something like this for the rear? Seems alot easier then what your trying to do
Is there a link to this?

With a few design mods I could like that.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.