Body protection, exoskeleton tubing size. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Body protection, exoskeleton tubing size.

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 06-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #16
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

ok, listen up. Senior members who kick my a** up and down this forum have all commented. Your question has been answered and we've given better options trying to help you with your jeep. Take it or leave it. But yes, you're being a punk a** and showing no respect to the rest of us when we're trying to help.

Most of us having driven on everything from moab to northeastern wood trails to the everglades. There's nothing someone else hasn't seen or been on. Take the gracious knowledge they give both you and I (which I try and relay what they've given me and I've learned) or don't, honestly, hope you flip your jeep and dent your jeep to he*l and back after all the advise you've given and have ignored.

Unread 06-01-2013, 11:19 PM   #17
kodenz
1997 ZJ 

x2

Tucson is right, they tried to help, you sound like a *******, sorry but every one takes forum posts and anything written in text differently(if you have a wife or girlfriend you should know this).
Also from lurking for a few months many people here don't take kindly to looking "pimpin" and anything that is a waste of time

sent from: somewhere
Unread 06-01-2013, 11:32 PM   #18
a70eliminator

To me the lifted cool looking most rugged jeeps are the ones with all the dents and scrapes, badges of honor. I saw one I swear didn't have a panel on it that wasn't dented and it looked really tough as if all dented panels somehow strengthened it.
I can't imagine conduit being anything more than trail debri as it gets torn from the vehicle, what would you affix it to anyhow? the galvanized stuff doesn't weld very good, steel pipe would be a better, I hate conduit. Are you a commercial electrician?
a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #19
Trick440
1994 ZJ 

The advice I got was 'use steel plates" & "get rock sliders" or "what you gonna do where the is no 1" tubing?" .. come on. This is advice I can get from almost anybody off the street with zero wheeling experiance.

You guys are trying to act like an exoskeleton is never used to protect sheet metal and it is all the time.

The "conduit" I ended up getting was, DOM 1.25 od, .120 wall. Its sweeter than I than the ridged conduit thats only a .060 wall.

I think this is a case of people with less clue than me giving advice. If you don't know the difference between DOM and ridged conduit of both the same size and thickness you should surrendered to this being a subject out of your league.
Trick440 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 07:14 AM   #20
kodenz
1997 ZJ 

If you have the answers, why ask the questions??

sent from: somewhere
Unread 06-02-2013, 07:38 AM   #21
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick440 View Post
The advice I got was 'use steel plates" & "get rock sliders" or "what you gonna do where the is no 1" tubing?" .. come on. This is advice I can get from almost anybody off the street with zero wheeling experiance.

You guys are trying to act like an exoskeleton is never used to protect sheet metal and it is all the time.

The "conduit" I ended up getting was, DOM 1.25 od, .120 wall. Its sweeter than I than the ridged conduit thats only a .060 wall.

I think this is a case of people with less clue than me giving advice. If you don't know the difference between DOM and ridged conduit of both the same size and thickness you should surrendered to this being a subject out of your league.
I'm not a steel expert, but go read my previous statement again.

Reason why we suggest these things is they've been done and proven to work. Like steel plating rolled to match a body panel.

If you claim to be a "real offroader" take the advice, put in a rollcage on your "real wheeler/crawler" and don't worry about how she looks. Offroading can and will give you dents and bumps. If it's not a street queen and you're trying to look "pimp", well there's a whole different set of issues.

People with MORE wheeling experience from you and probably more technical experience on these jeeps gave you advice. If it's used all the time, then follow their lead, we don't care what you do to your jeep. But if you come in asking a question and get answers on how to BETTER your build, and choose not to listen and throw a hissy fit, you should surrender.
Unread 06-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #22
Trick440
1994 ZJ 

No hissy fit just exchanging ideas. We can agree to disagree.

Theres benefits to exoskeleton or sheet metal. I think the exoskeleton benefits far exceed this sheet metal protection. Ease of install and the amount of protection offered puts an exoskeleton a better option.

Now there is quite an argument as why not to make this a roll cage. It could be a bad decision not to fully roll it, but.. I like being light weight and as of now its just fender protection.

Anyways I was just asking if 1.25 was big enought and I think with a .080 wall and better it is.
Unread 06-02-2013, 05:03 PM   #23
fast540
1999 WJ 

You should just wrap the jeep in ac (flexable steel conduit) and spare lengths of romex then shrink wrap it thus providing all the soft armor a man of your caliber could ever need
fast540 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #24
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

If you're going to be using it for just fender protection, then it should be good. But don't be under any illusions about it saving sheet metal from getting scraped and dented.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #25
sandman92k
1998 ZJ 

Is it friday again or what
sandman92k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #26
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

And where might this "conduit" be anchored to?

I'm under the impression you're trying to make some sort of halo...

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 08:58 PM   #27
sandman92k
1998 ZJ 

R we using this to run wires
sandman92k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 11:13 PM   #28
Trick440
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_WJ View Post
And where might this "conduit" be anchored to?

I'm under the impression you're trying to make some sort of halo...
Says right in the first post, from the bumper to the rock slides. Let me guess someone is going to ask how I plan to mount it to the front bumper?

You guys do realize I wheel this thing every 2 weeks and we go pretty hard. Is there even anyone posting in this thread that wheels even once a month yr round? Even the hard core wheelers around here only average 6-8 trips a yr.

This is basically what I'm doing, except a lot less yellow and preferably not so ugly. Mines gonna be tied into the sliders way smoother, no gaps. You guys act like I invented this idea. ..
Unread 06-02-2013, 11:23 PM   #29
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

With that kind of setup you're still going to run the possibility of dents and it won't keep tree limbs and branches off the body.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #30
Trick440
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman92k View Post
R we using this to run wires
This is the type of guy who thinks you need race car spec dom on a wheeler. Also I'm sure doesn't realize steel tubing and conduit are exactly the same except ones sold by OD and the other by ID, other than that its exactly the same. :/

I think for most you guys the last obstacle you wheeled over was a parking block at the mall.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.