BLACKzj52's Build Thread - Page 130 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > BLACKzj52's Build Thread

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 03-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #1936
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

So you still own a jeep?

Unread 03-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #1937
homer8613
1998 ZJ 

I just sat here and read the whole damn thing. Ive been at my desk since 7:30 this morning. I demand a update. Now.
98 zj 5.9 stock for now... 218k
homer8613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 08:52 PM   #1938
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well what the ****??
99XJ 4.0/AW4/HP30/8.25 build coming soon...
www.undergroundjeeps.net
CTeunuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #1939
SHAKEnBLAKE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

A lot of good wheeling in April. I dare ya...
Unread 03-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #1940
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

Sold it maybe?
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 04:52 AM   #1941
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaslug
Sold it maybe?
No one would buy that garbage.
Unread 03-15-2013, 07:53 AM   #1942
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

Sorry guys. A few ****ty things ( grandma dying, uncle dying of cancer, and now my mom has been diagnosed with cancer) have happened recently that have distracted me. I promise ill update this by Monday when Im back on a computer. Both Jeeps are doing well. Ill save the details for the real post with pictures and everything.

Bear with me guys
My Build Thead
Facebook
Senior at The Ohio State University
BLACKzj52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 08:08 AM   #1943
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Sorry to hear that John.
Unread 03-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #1944
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squashman702 View Post
Sorry to hear that John.
X2 John, that's terrible, just try to keep your chin up and be there for your family.
www.undergroundjeeps.net
Unread 04-18-2013, 12:44 AM   #1945
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

Alright guys, I've been busy with life but things have still progressed with my zjs.

With my Black ZJ...

I finished up the OTA trackbar bracket. Went ahead and braced the crap out of it and welded on the JKS extended sway bar mounts to clear the WJ steering.. And I braced the crap out of everything. Overkill is underrated!. pics..

Driverside sway bar mount welded up. It was a total pita to get these aligned perfectly with each other. Had to reinstall the axle partially, clamp them on, measure with an angle finder, reconnect with sway bar, etc. Oh well theyre done.

passenger side mount welded on and braced to bracket

close up

welds ground down

braced the driverside mount.

couple of the welds up close.

Installed! Can you say perfectly parallel trackbar and draglink? Hell yeah! I was very happy with the outcome.

so then I came across a factory TJ rear sway bar...

Nothing has happened with that swaybar yet, but I need to figure out some links and then get some brackets and weld them to my D44a. Whenever I drive my Black ZJ I can feel the back end just bouncing around - it drives me nuts. Definitely need a rear sway bar..

I then lengthened my rear uppers and pointed my pinion more towards my tcase which reduced my driveline vibes some more. I think now another 1-2* adjustment will do it.

Then one day I got bored and took some pics.

then I went on a test drive

Another

So I've put some miles on it recently, somewhere in the 30 range. Yeah I know not a lot but like I said I've been busy. I've gotten it up to 65mph as well and it vibrates a little bit. Had a couple buddies ride along with me and I think we have determined that I need to yank my MT/R's off and get them balanced better as they are vibrating. And IIRC first production run MT/R Kevlar's sometimes suffered from hard-to-balance issues and/or out of round problems. But other than that its been driving pretty well. Just need more time to drive it more AND need to get the tags reregistered and get it insured once again
My Build Thead
Facebook
Unread 04-18-2013, 12:45 AM   #1946
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

On to teh 5.9

Long story short, the 5.9 has been stealing some of my attention recently but its ok.

About this time last year I parted out a slate niner (some of you may remember that) and sold off the LSD D44a that was completely rebuilt. Well I tracked down the guy I sold it to and ended up buying it back. So I installed that in the Niner because the one wheel peel/lack of traction was getting old. I also swapped in a 242 tcase at the same time and adjusted the linkage perfectly and also replaced all the little rubber bushings that go in the linkage. I DID have pics but the SD card on my phone decided to delete itself for some reason........

I have this though...

After I installed that tcase on the niner I began noticing some vibrations at 75mph that eventually grew to really piss me off. I first rememembeed the wheel bearings on that rebuilt 44a needed replacing so I replaced them.

That got rid of the growling I had at highway speeds but no the vibrations....

So then I noticed the tranny mount was loose on the niner and also figured Id replace the rear uppers sooo

Then we got a good amount of snow so I decided to go out and dick around a little bit. No really good pics but heres some generic in-snow pics

ended up dumping like 8 inches in one night. Hell yeah

So then it was time to install the rear uppers

That didnt rid the vibes.....

I also knew the front trackbar was bad, so I replaced it with a MOOG Problem Solver

So one day I was fed up with the vibrations and decided to get underneath the niner and figure out wtf was wrong.. Came up with the conclusion that the shortened driveshaft I swapped in was too short (not enough spline engagement on the tcase output shaft) and a ujoint had play in it. So I took another niner rear shaft I had and got it shortened 1" and got two new 1330 joints installed and boom, no more driveline vibes. I took a test run...

no vibes whatso-freaking-ever

Finally the weather got a bit warmer, so the niner got a good bath

yummy

I then noticed that the balljoints on the niner are trashed, so one call to XRF and $130 later I had two uppers and two lower balljoints shipped to my house. I also started hearing my front brakes so off to Jegs it was to get some Hawk Performance Ceramic pads. I also knew my plenum gasket was leaking so I got myself a spare intake manifold at the junkyard to port and polish. Also obtained two 52mm throttle bodies and a plenum plate through a trade. In addition, I called up Rough Country telling them about how the bushings in my 4 lower CAs are bad. They had sent me some replacement flex joint bushings back in november but they didnt fit correctly. I mentioned this to them and they told me they would send out the correct bushings. I had also asked for some replacement axle side bushings (the old two piece ones from their older style flex joint arms). So my mom tells me theres a long rectangular RC box at home one day and that it was heavy.. that struck me as odd and then she sent me a picture... It looked like a box for control arms.. I was puzzled and had a sneaking suspicion in my mind. My suspicion was correct. Pics will explain...

Heres the XRF balljoints

Two 52mm TB's and Plenum Plate

AAAAAAnd here is the RC package contents.......

Boom.. They sent me a set of brand new lower control arms for free.. Wow. I think that is freakin awesome. My only concern is, I didnt get bushings to replace those in the rear lowers I have.... I might have to call them....

So that should bring you guys up to speed with everything that has gone on recently. I will install the bj's and brakes very soon because they are desperately needed. Then I will replace the intake manifold with a modded one with some goodies. Then I will get around to doing the rear main seal and oil pan gasket. Im done with finals on the 29th

Anyways, there you go guys. Sorry for the delay in updates. Like I mentioned in another post there have been some crappy things going on. My mom has been receiving radiation treatments for the last month and then just started chemo 2 weeks ago. Luckily she is going to the James Cancer Hospital here at Ohio State which is one of the best Cancer Hospitals in the country. People fly in from all across the country to get treatments done there. In fact there was a family from LA and Vegas that flew in just last week to get treatments done. Kinda cool. So hopefully she will press on and beat this ****. Shes the strongest woman I know and I believe she will kick its ***.
My Build Thead
Facebook
Unread 04-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #1947
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

It is great to see your updates. Sorry to hear about the family, best wishes for your mom!
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 04:45 PM   #1948
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Good to hear your mom is doing well John, hopefully all goes well with her treatments.

The ZJ's are looking good man! I'm jealous of how clean they both are, but get the black one out there and change that!

It's a little late now, but Dave(squashman) had **** luck with those XRF's, IIRC he got less than a year out of them. Hopefully they turn out better for you.
www.undergroundjeeps.net
Unread 08-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #1949
Wharf Rat
1996 XJ Cherokee 

What track bar do you run on your ZJ? Did you fab your own? I too run the WJ setup with the IRO track bar and need to do the OTK soon, so I will need a new track bar.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #1950
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
What track bar do you run on your ZJ? Did you fab your own? I too run the WJ setup with the IRO track bar and need to do the OTK soon, so I will need a new track bar.
I called up IRO and asked for a custom bar that was perfectly straight with the same bushing size and everything. Gave them my estimated length at ride height and told them to set it there and give me some equal adjustability both ways.

It appears I have not updated this thread in awhile... Jeez, I've got some work ahead of me as far as updating this.... I think I will still update both ZJs here until I go and make a separate build thread for the niner..

So for the spring/early summer months the niner stole the show for a bit. I was set on getting it to a certain point where it was mechanically sound and I was to a certain level of satisfaction with it. I have suceeded.

Lets begin:

So it appears I had just gotten my ball joints in when I last posted so we will start with all the brake and front end work I did on the niner.

I went with XRF BJs, Hawk HPS pads, painted everything, etc etc

Pics

starting point

Now I said my balljoints were bad right? Well they were.........very bad.....had some serious play in them. I will allow the next two pics to illustrate my point

next..

can you say yikes?!

Anyways

new BJs in, new CA's in, and new passenger side axle control arm mount welded on, because somebody managed to mangle the old one up pretty well..

At this point I began a color scheme for the niner..... For the Blackzj the has a color scheme of black on black on black with some red accents.... For the niner, it is the body color (Bright Metallic Platinum) and anodized blue. My wheel spacers are what convinced me....

So needless to say, the brakes were getting some anodized blue treatment. Not they were not actually anodized (duh, theyre not aluminum), but VHT makes a paint that works quite well when painted over some shiny silver....

Vanco knuckles painted flat black, brakes, and brake brackets painted up anodized blue.... mmmmm sexy

pistons removed, cleaned up, and brand new seals and orings installed in the calipers.

pistons in

^definitely like these pads

everything back together. And I must say I was rather proud at how well the calipers (an amateurly painted anodized blue) matched up to a true a true anodized aluminum blue wheel spacer...

lighting didnt completely work out in this pic but you get the idea
My Build Thead
Facebook

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.