BLACKzj52's Build Thread - Page 133 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1981 of 1985 Old 02-14-2015, 11:27 PM
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

It was quite entertaining. I feel inept with all things mechanical now. You are just so far ahead of me. You have a great aptitude for this stuff. Even if you're not sure of yourself or what you're doing, you're willing to give it a try. I admire that, as well as your perseverance. Here's hoping you're able to get the vibes to go away with the transmission work. It's rather interesting. I never realized it could cause those types of problems. Of course, it usually is the last thing you want to deal with that's the actual problem. I had a starting problem with my ZJ and didn't want to believe it was the fuel pump in the tank. So I replaced so many things before finally resolving to change that. And....it had been the issue all along. Of course, your situation is entirely different. One usually doesn't immediately think of the transmission when it comes to vibes.

Best of luck with your pair of ZJ's. I hope you can get the black one 100% soon so you can drive it. It seems that Roger's 'golden' Niner isn't everything he made it out to be after all. Underneath all the good is a bucket of rust? That is unfortunate. So what is Roger up to these days anyhow?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 1985 Old 02-19-2015, 06:54 PM
Ricochet88
1993 ZJ 

Sweet glad you finally got that thing running again! What are you doing with your cracked headers? ;-)

Rick "woody"
93 zj wagoneer pkg, 5in iro lift, 33/10.5/15 bfgoodrich km2
my build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P. TROY EDWARDS "bigbluezj94"
post #1983 of 1985 Old 03-16-2015, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard View Post
It was quite entertaining. I feel inept with all things mechanical now. You are just so far ahead of me. You have a great aptitude for this stuff. Even if you're not sure of yourself or what you're doing, you're willing to give it a try. I admire that, as well as your perseverance. Here's hoping you're able to get the vibes to go away with the transmission work. It's rather interesting. I never realized it could cause those types of problems. Of course, it usually is the last thing you want to deal with that's the actual problem. I had a starting problem with my ZJ and didn't want to believe it was the fuel pump in the tank. So I replaced so many things before finally resolving to change that. And....it had been the issue all along. Of course, your situation is entirely different. One usually doesn't immediately think of the transmission when it comes to vibes.

Best of luck with your pair of ZJ's. I hope you can get the black one 100% soon so you can drive it. It seems that Roger's 'golden' Niner isn't everything he made it out to be after all. Underneath all the good is a bucket of rust? That is unfortunate. So what is Roger up to these days anyhow?
Hey thanks a ton man. And don't feel inept. When I got my Black ZJ at 16 years old (I'm 25 now - can't update my sig because it has TOO MANY CHARACTERS!), I knew next to nothing. Back then I remember feeling brave one day because, get this, I used the factory jack to jack up my front axle on one side and take of the tire just to look at everything from a different perspective To top that off, my mom called me right in the middle of me cranking the lug nuts off and I was panting (granted this was mid soccer season so I was well in shape) because they were so tight. She goes, "Why are you panting...."...... "no reason..." ...."ok...."...."don't worry about it"... I didn't want to tell her because I was slightly nervous but told her after she got home when I was done and put it back together! haha oh memories
Anyways, moral of the story is everybody starts somewhere, do your research (which I do a TON of) and take your hand at doing your own work. Granted I have been somewhat mechanically inclined since I was a young boy but still.

And I can't help but laugh at your fuel pump situation. Not that I am laughing at you, but because I went through the EXACT same situation. Lost a ton of power and fixed CPS, Fuel Filter, Spark Plugs, Plenum Gasket, Dist Cap n Rotor, but I always knew in the back of my head it was the fuel pump. I can empathize with you on that one!

And the niner, yes, not as golden as it was made to seem when Roger had it. Granted I think it declined in condition when he bought it back and basically got over it and didn't take care of it. Last I knew he was joining the police force at a smaller local PD nearby him (he lives about 1.5-1.75 hours from me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet88 View Post
Sweet glad you finally got that thing running again! What are you doing with your cracked headers? ;-)
Thanks man!

Sadly enough, the cracked headers are still on the niner. I have meant to swap Black's old DTs onto the Niner but havent gotten around to it yet. Need to do it soon so I can refill my AC for this summer - long story short had to have the AC drained last summer because a connection was loose when trying to swap headers...

After that though, they may be up for grabs. Gotta say though, a couple of the welds will be tricky for somebody, but may be able to be done. If you are interested I can send you more pics when the time comes and we can go from there.

Small update:

Got parts for the Tranny bearing swap..

Just finished swapping the bearing and replacing the shift shaft seal on Sunday.

Swap was pretty easy. Pictures may look discouraging (or not). Forgive the saturation of light in a few of the pics. I had my 1000W halogen "heated" work light on.

Tranny out

OD housing removed

First set of clutches removed, and OD "core" unit removed. That is the bearing in question that you see. It's huge! like 4.5" (?) in diameter.

Empty OD Housing

Using 3" ABS plastic pipe to compress the OD spring (~800lbs of force). Worked just fine. Did not even buckle, creak, clunk, nothing. Wouldn't doubt it, but if you did these OD housings on a regular basis at work then the official tool would be worthwhile.

Most of the OD parts laid out

Parts I bought

Sawed off intermediate shaft to use for alignment, Nachi bearing, Koyo thrust washers/bearings, snap rings, gaskets, seals, transgel goo, etc.

Valve body removed to replace the Shift Shaft Seal. VB removal is actually pretty easy. Something like 9 or 10 bolts. No check balls fall out with simply removing it. Now they do if you take it apart.. But for my purposes I did not need to take it apart.

Shift Shaft Seal Replaced

OD unit put back together

The removed valve body

Valve Body reinstalled

Pan back on, OD housing reinstalled

All put back together. I REALLY wanted to grind down and paint those rusty brackets but no time because I have so much else on my plate.

I am on my last Spring Break this week, however, I work Monday-Wednesday at my one internship (the company I want to work with when I graduate in December). But I have Weds night, Thurs, Fri, and Sunday to get the tranny back in, test for vibes, and a few other things. I will report back with my findings as far as the vibes go.

Moving on to something else.

Long story short, I tossed my chrome/crystal/euro turn signals into the oven to remove the lense covers to clean the inside as some muddy water found its way in awhile back. Well, they warped. And I am PISSED.

Anybody remember these headlights? They were on Ebay constantly from about 2006-2009ish. If you have a set, or even any pieces of the set (pairs of course), I WANT THEM!

And no, I do not want the newer euro style ZJ headlights. They are not the same and do not look nearly as good.

I plan on putting my FXR 3.0 Projectors into these housings so I would like another set (full set if at all possible).

Here is a picture of what I am talking about. THIS EXACT STYLE.

If you have a set, PM me on here or email me at BLACKzj52@gmail.com
I am willing to pay up to a certain amount for these but will not be taken advantage of.

MY MAIN PRIORITY IS THE TURN SIGNALS! If necessary, I can source the headlight itself and corners elsewhere but can't find the turn signals. But like I said, I am willing to entertain any offers.

Forgot to mention, I have a full set of the black version of these housings that I would be willing to trade.

Comparison between Chrome and Black Style (chrome DS, black PS)
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...-34-00_213.jpg

All Black

I would be willing to trade my entire set of black housings for JUST THE TURN SIGNALS if somebody was willing. Or just a straight up trade for an entire chrome set. I also have a set of the black smoked fog lights that were on ebay awhile back that I could throw in (that have a surprisingly good beam pattern).

PLEASE, I want these turn signals. My dumb a** warped them in the oven when I was trying to open them up to clear some muddy water out of them (damn permaseal glue....)

Thank you,

John

- John - 23 and learning <-- ORIGINAL
- 1996 Black ZJ Limited: 5.9 swap, LA's, axles, absolutely built to hell
- 1998 Platinum 5.9 Limited: DD with some lighter modifications

Senior at The Ohio State University

post #1984 of 1985 Old 03-24-2015, 01:42 PM
Ricochet88
1993 ZJ 

Yea let me know when your getting rid of the cracked set does it have the carb plate on it too?

Rick "woody"
93 zj wagoneer pkg, 5in iro lift, 33/10.5/15 bfgoodrich km2
my build thread

R.I.P. TROY EDWARDS "bigbluezj94"
post #1985 of 1985 Old 04-25-2015, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTeunuch View Post
It's a little late now, but Dave(squashman) had **** luck with those XRF's, IIRC he got less than a year out of them. Hopefully they turn out better for you.
AHHH I hate you! Niner recently has been vibing (go figure) and i tracked it down to the front end. BOTH upper BJ's are bad.. WTF XRF! That and the DS hub bearing is le'gone (le is in how a Frenchy would say that ). All that mess gets fixed tomorrow...

Back to Black Magic....

Got good news and I've got bad news... Although the bad news isn't too terrible.

The OD bearing did not cure the vibes, HOWEVER, it definitely helped - there is no doubt there.

I've been taking detailed vibration notes when conducting my tests... Ill jot down what all I've got from recent tests.

3/31/15 - After replacing tranny (OD) output bearing and installing Poly Tranny mount

NO DRIVESHAFTS INSTALLED FOR TESTING
- Poly Mount does not help at all. Makes for a constant vibration (well duh) and makes things harder to judge.

However,
- Pulsing at 65mph (instead of the original 55mph) and much less vibration
- Pulsing better at 70 than 65
- Pulsing again more intense at 75-80 BUT my mirror doesn't bounce anymore...

So I swapped out the poly tranny joint with a used rubber one I had laying around NOTE: not in great condition..

NO DRIVESHAFTS, RUBBER TRANNY MOUNT

Slight (subtle) vibes at 40..
Pulse from 55-65mph (Reduced intensity)
Pulse increases 67-75mph (still less than it was)
Slight mirror bounce at 75mph+

Conclusion: OD bearing DEFINITELY helped.

4/14/15 - Replaced Poly Motor Mounts w/ cheap Anchor rubber motor mounts

NO DRIVESHAFTS

- No vibes through 65mph!
- Only slight vibes 65-70mph
- 70-80mph Noticeable pulsing vibration but even less than before. Vibe feels like its coming from up front..

Suspects:
- Harmonic Balancer (although it spins fine, and I feel like it hasn't spun on itself..)
- Spark plug wire routing (aka the ol' TSB about not crossing wires from way back)
- Shot rubber tranny mount
- Fuel pump? should get a guage and double check idle and on throttle PSI

Also, even with the rubber motor mounts, I can see the engine bounce around a little bit. And I can feel a slight vibration at idle.

I'm tracking this bit** down!

And just because I feel I have to post pics:

This is how I conduct my testing... although recently I've left the tires on since I have the driveshafts removed.

Oh and also, I decided I really don't like my black headlights. Going back to chrome! And look what I found, the matching chrome corners! And I bought another set of the old (better) style chrome housings... Projectors soon fools...
Unfortunately I trashed my chrome turn signal when tossing it in the oven to remove the lens (to clean it).. ******* Eagle Eyes used that permaseal crap to seal the turn signals and corner markers while using traditional butyl on the headlight portion. What the hell?

Pics:

I will be removing the black corners, cutting them off, and having them shipped out to be vacuum metalized which is the process of applying the chrome/polished reflector coating (for those of you unaware). I spoke with a company here in Ohio and sent my trashed chrome housings up to him to practice on. If all is satisfactory, I will have him do my black turn signals and maybe black headlight housings as well.

Also, its time for me to get back to work with my projector housings. Just got my tax return and will be placing a nice order with TheRetrofitSource to nab the rest of the parts i need.

It's coming around guys, I promise. I can feel it in my gut. Black Magic while be reincarnated!

- John - 23 and learning <-- ORIGINAL
- 1996 Black ZJ Limited: 5.9 swap, LA's, axles, absolutely built to hell
- 1998 Platinum 5.9 Limited: DD with some lighter modifications

Senior at The Ohio State University

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.