Black Betty's Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Black Betty's Build Thread

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 04-13-2009, 05:31 PM   #1
ANGJetMech
2001 WJ 

Black Betty's Build Thread

Heres my 2001 Laredo, bought it about a month and a half ago. It was love at first drive.

115,000 Miles
4.0L
Special Appearance Group

Bone stock, the day I brought her home

First Addition, Westin Brush Guard

Then Polar Bear tail light guards (Which are crap, never buy them )

Here comes the IRO 3" kit! (And running board removal)

I got a smokin' deal on some 31" Mickeys

There she is so far, I have some sliders that are going on soon, and planning on putting some driving lights on the brush guard, then who knows what will happen after that!

[SIZE="3"]"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post"
[/SIZE]

[COLOR="Blue"]Air Force Jeep Club- Tail# JF064NG[/COLOR]

[SIZE="4"][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Black Bettys Build Thread[/FONT][/B][/SIZE] -----> [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=752646[/url][SIZE="4"][/SIZE]
ANGJetMech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2009, 07:11 PM   #2
05Roadglide
2002 WJ 

Looks real good, better without the runners, plus the sliders needed somewhere to go.

So what shocks did you go with?
Unread 04-13-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
volvite
1999 WJ 

Looks really good. What sliders are you going with? That's my next project. On the grille gurad, watch the welds on the very top bar that goes above the Jeep symbol. I had a westin guard and at the welds, it started to rust within the first 2 years. I had it replaced but being on back order I went with Polar Bear. It seems to be holding up better. I need taillight gurads, but haven't heard that the polar bear taillight gurads are crap. Why is that? thanks.
volvite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2009, 07:19 PM   #4
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

What does the designation "special appearance group" denote?

Nice WJ
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2009, 08:58 PM   #5
PitBull4X4
1989 MJ Comanche 

Looks really nice. Keep the parts and pictures comeing
Unread 04-14-2009, 03:51 AM   #6
sandman
1993 ZJ 

drink that beer before it gets warm.
Unread 04-14-2009, 06:10 AM   #7
ANGJetMech
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Roadglide View Post
Looks real good, better without the runners, plus the sliders needed somewhere to go.

So what shocks did you go with?
I didnt upgrade and stayed with the rough country ones that came with the package. They definitely hold up to their name... they ride pretty rough, but its not too big of a problem for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvite View Post
Looks really good. What sliders are you going with? That's my next project. On the grille gurad, watch the welds on the very top bar that goes above the Jeep symbol. I had a westin guard and at the welds, it started to rust within the first 2 years. I had it replaced but being on back order I went with Polar Bear. It seems to be holding up better. I need taillight gurads, but haven't heard that the polar bear taillight gurads are crap. Why is that? thanks.
Luckily i grabbed some sliders that were discontinued from turbocity.com (?) on ebay, I dont think there are any more though

The polar bear tail light guards: The tabs that hold the screws that go into your housing werent bent right. You can kind of see that the guards sit ON my housing instead of around it. Also one of the tabs on the drivers side one was welded about 3/4" too high, so i had to drill my own holes in the housing. And lastly, im having the same problem you did with your guard... Thye are starting to rust after about a month...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraser1986brown View Post
What does the designation "special appearance group" denote?
"Laredo Special Appearance Group, new, includes 17x7.5 inch 7-spoke wheels, color-keyed cladding and fascias, body color license brow and liftgate handle, bodyside stripe, fog lamps and leather seats"-from wjjeeps.com

Thanks for the good comments!
[SIZE="3"]"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post"
[/SIZE]

[SIZE="4"][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Black Bettys Build Thread[/FONT][/B][/SIZE] -----> [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=752646[/url][SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

Last edited by ANGJetMech; 04-14-2009 at 08:11 PM..
Unread 04-22-2009, 05:07 PM   #8
ANGJetMech
2001 WJ 

Picked up some KC Daylighters!

[/SIZE]

Unread 04-22-2009, 06:52 PM   #9
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Nice mallcrawler, now ditch the brush guard, get some recovery and skids and wheel it.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2009, 10:59 PM   #10
05Roadglide
2002 WJ 

So its been a few weeks now, whats your latest thoughts on the lift,......nice KC's too.
Unread 04-24-2009, 05:25 PM   #11
ANGJetMech
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Roadglide View Post
So its been a few weeks now, whats your latest thoughts on the lift,......nice KC's too.
I still love it. Especially finding a stock WJ and parking beside it in the parking lot. I still highly recommend IRO, I dont think you could go wrong with them
[/SIZE]

Unread 05-12-2009, 07:23 PM   #12
ANGJetMech
2001 WJ 

Getting my Kolak exhaust system installed tomorrow. Great deal, great product, great guy. Thanks Kolak!!!

[/SIZE]

Unread 05-12-2009, 09:52 PM   #13
05Roadglide
2002 WJ 

Cool man, getting them mods going, all ive done is new tweeters, jeepforum sticker on, and i de-badged her, and a new shorty black antenna, ....are you installing the exhaust yourself?
Unread 05-12-2009, 09:53 PM   #14
97DCZJ
1997 ZJ 

i'm getting the 3.5" IRO for my ZJ and then ordering Black Diamond Shocks. i've heard BDS are amazing and have a real smooth ride.
(Sold) 1997 Grand Cherokee Limited: V8 5.2L, 2" BB, 31" Dick Cepeks.
(Sold) 1999 Grand Cherokee Laredo: Build Thread; V8 4.7L, Stock.
(Sold) 1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo: Build Thread; V8 5.2L ,3.5" lift, 32" Tires
97DCZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2009, 09:51 PM   #15
SportsJeep01
2000 WJ 

Man I love the Jeep. Looks good. How doeos that exhaust sound w/ the FW and the cat? have the same engine and thinking about doin the cat!
'00 WJ 4x4, 4.0L I6, 4" RC coils, a-arm spacer, adjustable front lowers CAs, and discos, IronMan4x4 Fab fixed front uppers, JKS Adjustable TB, and RE shocks, 255/85R16 KM2, soft 8s, Rola roof rack, bull bar w/ 2 hella's, Flowmaster series 40 muffler w/ Magnaflow High-Flow Cat.
SportsJeep01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.