The Billzcat1 Build Thread - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > The Billzcat1 Build Thread

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 10-20-2011, 01:45 PM   #76
snobrdrkid07
2004 WJ 

Oh you are welcome! Ride is still pretty decent on stock arms at about 2 inches?
I am going to run this once all the parts are collected:
1. OME Heavy Springs
2. JKS Adjustable track bar
3. Bilstein 5100's
4. Whatever else I need/goodies
I am hoping that this combination will give me a really nice combination of: on road handling, comfort, and off road.

I like the terminal setup too. I did some research and it looked like those were called "Automotive to Marine Terminals" something like that. But using that wig-nut you can attach more then one cable.

How have you avoided corrosion? I have to spray that red liquid/goo on the terminals to prevent corrosion.

~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 01:52 PM   #77
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

That should be a pretty good setup. I found that getting the sway bars dialed in just right helped a TON with ride quality. Extended links in the rear were the key, as well as modding the RC Quick Discos up front about 3" shorter than their original length. But yeah, ride and handling are both very good with this setup. Yes, it's still an SUV and it still has solid axles and you can tell, but very comfortable as a DD, road trip, and wheeling rig.

Those terminals are called "Marine-type" terminals, they have them at most auto parts stores. I got these ones from an automotive/marine 12v wiring store near a marina. They were like $3 each and are epoxy-coated. No corrision whatsoever, but then again I also have a brand new battery (which helps) and don't have salted roads (also helps).
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 02:01 PM   #78
snobrdrkid07
2004 WJ 

Thanks, I am hoping it will be pretty nice all said and done. Also, I do not have much intention of going any bigger on lift at the current time for various reasons. I guess I will have too add sway bar links to the list of things. (Costs so much dang money to do anything too!) I was also wondering about the real ball joint too along with my front axle. Freaking out that something is just going to be enough out of whack after the alignment to get some DW action.

That is what they are called, I was close! I will pick up some of those when I get my new battery. Need to find a battery too. Probably going for something with around 850-900 CCA. I will see if I can get to boatersworld or bass pro too look for those epoxy coated terminals.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 02:42 PM   #79
4Doors
1999 WJ 

Love your build and very much appreciate the wisdom you pass along. Thanks for everything.
4Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2011, 03:41 PM   #80
piraterig
2004 WJ 

super thread!!!!! i will be ordering the bds 2" coils, 8 isolators, bilstein 5100s. id like to have discos but i cannot handle rattles, clunks or sqeaks, (my xj drove me nuts) Id like to have the tie rod and track bar from jks as well before i buy tires. also have you or anyone found a rear sway bar 2" extension yet? i can have my buddy fix up my oem one if not. i figured on hitting up kolak for the shocks first and see what hes got

love the wite ups, pics and the jeep !!
piraterig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2011, 11:41 PM   #81
=KZ=
2000 WJ 

So just so I understand it, up front you have the QD's. Do you wheel with your rear bar connected, or are they just easy to disconnect and rear QD's arent needed? In my case I have a addco rear bar

Also do you recommend, in hindsight, doing what you did with the RC links or is there a better solution, like you this is my DD and I would rather not have any clunking?
Unread 11-21-2011, 12:32 PM   #82
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

That is correct. I wheel with the rear sway connected. I have tried it both ways and I like it best with the rear bar connected, keeps the body more stable.

I definitely recommend modding the RC links. They have been completely clunk free since modding them. The only downside to the mods is that they are a little harder to get on and off (need to use a screwdriver) and no longer have a retaining post since they are too short to reach the post. I just zip-tie them up out of the way and the zip-tie the bar to the top coil on the front spring.
Unread 11-21-2011, 06:20 PM   #83
rockcrawlernut
2004 WJ 

The Jeep's lookin good, keep it up. Can't wait to see what's next!
[/CENTER][/SIZE][/FONT]

[CENTER][FONT="Impact"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-rock-dog-1284108/"]*--->Rockcrawlernut's Build Thread<---*[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
rockcrawlernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 07:50 PM   #84
=KZ=
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
That is correct. I wheel with the rear sway connected. I have tried it both ways and I like it best with the rear bar connected, keeps the body more stable.

I definitely recommend modding the RC links. They have been completely clunk free since modding them. The only downside to the mods is that they are a little harder to get on and off (need to use a screwdriver) and no longer have a retaining post since they are too short to reach the post. I just zip-tie them up out of the way and the zip-tie the bar to the top coil on the front spring.
So is there a huge difference in work to disconnect?

I have been largely convinced about extending end links by you and am considering a good way to go. It seems like a fair bit of work to get your final result and i am trying to average it against how many times I would actually disconnect them in a year. Probably twice or 3 times. I have noticed that since i did my lift the steering on the highway can be a little sloppy despite having a brand new steering system with no play. When making a turn at speed, it feels as if the weight suddenly shifts over forcing me to have to correct at regular intervals, opposite of confident if you follow. and thought that too short end links may be the cause.
Unread 11-21-2011, 11:46 PM   #85
Upside
2002 WJ 

I have the same feeling since installing my BDS springs with new spacers. I suspect my stock track bar is the problem although the short rear sway links are causing some odd head bobbing. The rear links will be extended next week as detailed by billzcat and I'm installing a JKS track bar up front. I think having the suspension centered with the stiffer track bar will help the sloppy feeling KZ describes. My WJ feels "tippy" compared to the lifted ZJ I had and I suspect it's the track bar.

Bill how did you do the measurements for installing your adjustable track bar? I was thinking of running a plumb bob off the top of the fender on both sides before hand to measure to the wheel face and find out how off center the axle might be. Taking that measurement I could WAG the track bar length as a starting point.
Upside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 12:47 AM   #86
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The rear bar may toss heads around but damn I couldn't be happier that mines back on. No seriously if you think highway handling is unstable now try doing it without the rear bar at all, I've been running that for 5 months up until now when I finally took some brute force out and drilled out a bolt that snapped into the axle bracket... Night and day difference no bar you will start fish tailing of you twitch the wheel on the highway . With rear bar your bank into your twitch

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 12:52 AM   #87
=KZ=
2000 WJ 

they dont recommend track bars till 3" so I thought I was safe at 2.5" or 20 1/2" up front .Damn there goes more money.
Unread 11-22-2011, 12:06 PM   #88
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

oopsies! I was really tired last night, I thought we were talking about the sway bar. Yeah the rear sway bar is a problem @ any more than 2" but I think the front trackbar is fine up until 3 like you said.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 02:35 PM   #89
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I did the track bar and tie rod at the same time and it really firmed up the steering. There was a surprising amount of bind on original track bar at just under 3" of lift. While I wouldn't go as far as to say that track bar is strictly needed at 2-3", it certainly is nice to have if you can spare the cash. It also allows the axle to droop a bit more easily since the bushings at the ends no longer bind up, rather you have sleeve that rotates in a poly bushing.

I've spent more effort than most on tuning sway bars. The amount of work I put into sway bar end links has been more than the entire rest of the lift. However, it has made a night and day difference in ride quality and handling. And then I post it here so people can see my conclusions, see what works/what doesn't, and skip all the extra work.

When the sway bars end links are out of whack, the weight transfer in corners feels unnatural and suspension travel can reach a binding point at odd amounts of travel, as if you had a bump stop or a limiting strap that you hit when you're just driving on the street.

As for work to disconnect with the modded front discos - it's no more work at all, just a tighter fit as the end link pivots. Just pull one pin on each side, stick a screwdriver in there and pop it em off. A little grease helps the bushings slide more easily over their mounting posts.

Upside: I did the measurements from tire to frame rail using a specific point on the rail and tire tread that made sense. Unfortunately I can't really describe what I did more precisely than that. It just made sense when I was in there and it worked. I did before and after and the axle shifted over about 3/4" IIRC with the JKS track bar and the axle fully centered.

As for what is next? Not much, I'm pretty happy with where I have the WJ. Getting a new winch mount up front, should have an update next weekend. I have ordered two ProMark mounts and both had manufacturing defects, hopefully third time is the charm.
Unread 11-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #90
=KZ=
2000 WJ 

So I was outside and had a good look at the relative position of my front tires to the wheel wells and the axle is out of position around 1/4" to 1/2" I would say I guess I will be emailing Kolak. Thanks for the reply billzcat. I think I will basically copy what you did

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.