The Billzcat1 Build Thread - Page 38 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > The Billzcat1 Build Thread

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #556
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Yup. Bathroom caulking. Plumbers putty. Teflon tape on brake lines. Spent a lot of time in junkyards pulling semi-valuable parts off of junked cars.

billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #557
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

If they had an emoticon for being appauled I would have used it in this reply.
Cirruslydakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2014, 09:12 PM   #558
towman92266
2004 WJ 

I just got done reading this whole thread.....Very Cool and Thanks for taking the time to write it.
Any updates?
towman92266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2014, 10:18 AM   #559
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Not much in the way of updates. The last 6 months have seen little stuff breaking on a monthly basis. Taken the Jeep camping a couple times, still hauling the family around. I am coming up on the 4 year anniversary and the Jeep has done so much for us but I am (again) considering replacement. Mild reliability concerns aside, it's getting too small for us to do the things we want to do. I put the roof basket back on for camping, but with the 4 of us (wife + 2 kids aged 5 and 2) it is a real struggle to fit everything we want to take camping. Just packing the rig up is a ton of work and my failing body doesn't like to deal with things like climbing up on the roof. As the kids get bigger it's going to be worse, and if we have another it's going to be downright impossible with the WJ.

The good news is that all of the aftermarket stuff I've done over the years has performed and continues to perform admirably. Still no sag from the BDS/Bilstein combination. The Fawkes MiniMax is still awesome and the powdercoat he uses is massively durable; it looks like the day it was installed and has been super handy for occasional winching and also putting a large, heavy trailer in a place it shouldn't logically fit. The Silent Armors are getting a bit worn for snow driving but they have almost 40,000 miles on them and still have plenty of tread overall, more than 1/4" all around. They've been very durable tires for me and worth the money. Never had a flat, popped a bead, and even with lots of wheeling on rocky trails the tread is in excellent shape. No chunking at all like I've seen on cheap A/Ts, just a few minor cuts in the tread blocks that don't affect durability or safety.

If I get a replacement family hauler, I don't know what I'll do with the Jeep. The body is pretty rough but the interior and mechanicals are good, I think it is worth more as parts than as a whole.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.