The Billzcat1 Build Thread - Page 37 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > The Billzcat1 Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 12-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #541
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Had I known how cheap these damn water pumps are, I would have done it while I had the whole cooling system apart a couple weeks ago. $55 would have been cheap preventative maintenance. Looks to be an extremely easy job on the 4.7 with the hydraulic fan assembly. Just remove belt, 7 bolts, and scrape the gasket surface.

billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #542
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Theres no gasket for the water pump for the 4.7 is I remember correctly. Should just be an o-ring.
Rockauto had a NEW Gates water pump for $28 for my 4.0. Dealer wanted $144 for theirs.
Cirruslydakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #543
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I don't have time to wait for a mail order, got a Murray pump (new not reman) for $55. Looks like the gasket is actually a formed rubber o-ring. Still replacing it, I know how those things can get with age. But a lot easier than scraping off paper.
Unread 12-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #544
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

I know what you mean. My job involves that on a daily basis especially with the older engines. I'm pretty sure my blocks gasket surface isn't nearly as clean right now as I'm going to make it. Funny thing is I ordered those parts from rockauto Thursday and they were here Friday afternoon since they came out of New York. I wanted a good name brand new pump and advance auto nor auto zone could step up to the plate there.
Unread 12-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #545
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Well, I did the job last night in 29° weather in a liquor store parking lot... and my head-lamp broke so I had a choice of minimal light or single-handed operations. Kinda froze my butt off a little but got the job done. Got home to find the f-ing furnace is broken (again). It's a like a Greek tragedy around here.
Unread 12-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #546
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Reminds me of when I had to repack bearings on my old F-150 during a snow storm under my parents carport. Sucked. Balls.
Unread 12-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #547
inthefive555
2001 WJ 

Sucks about the water pump, but glad you were able to r&r a new one safely. I had to do that twice in 5 years in the 540 and let me tell ya, it was downright embarrassing (not to mention expensive). One new cooling system, water cooled alternator, multiple breakdowns (the leave you stranded in dangerous areas kind), one baby, and thousands in parts later, the BMW is gone.

What did I replace it with? I couldn't decide from our last conversation so I got a WJ, 4runner, and an FZJ80. Wife is making me decide soon so I'd have to thin the herd, but for once it's nice knowing you could go into any parts store and chances are high that they'll have what you're looking for instead of having to special order basically everything in the book.

Tl;dr - glad you made it back safe.
Greek tragedy or divine comedy? :shifty
inthefive555 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #548
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

[edit] - glad to see you got out of that 540. Such capable, comfortable, stylish cars. A pity they aren't reliable in any sense of the word. My other 2 BMWs were great, that e39 was a wallet killer.

Dude, it's great having a common car. Friday night - alternator goes out. Start working on it Saturday at 6PM, have a new one in hand by 7:15 for $120. Same for the water pump - I mean failure is inevitable but it's nice to be able to walk into a chain store in a small town, be it Monroe or Missoula - and they have the alternator/water pump/radiator hose on the shelf for you. I've had my share of sporty, rare cars. Like a 1990 Audi Coupe Quattro - sold here for 1 years, a total of 1730 imported. Everything is special order and the windshield was discontinued (can't even get from dealer). Fuel injectors $220 each, parts gradually becoming NLA. And a 1970 Audi 100LS 2-dr sedan. One of an estimated 4 left in the country. But when things break you are screwed until something NOS shows up on ebay and then all the 100LS guys get in a bidding war because that CV joint is just too valuable and rare not to have a spare one. Even brake pads were near impossible to get for that thing. I'm glad that's all over. I wouldn't be averse to another car like that, but never as a daily driver. Regrettably, the good times don't outweigh the bad.

Sounds like you have a pretty cool fleet of SUVs lined up there. If I had to pick just one from that group it would be a tough choice. I suppose if I had to tow anything I'd take the WJ. No towing I'd take the FZJ80. It's built a bit better than the WJ and obviously bigger but a bit down on power if you need to haul stuff.
Unread 12-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #549
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

That's what I love about the WJ 4.0 engine combo (dealer listed my timing set fitting every 4.2/4.0/2.5 from the early 1960's to 2006!). Any parts store should have everything you need without a trip to the dealer parts counter. My mazdaspeed on the other hand is special in every single way and requires dealer only items, special oil, spark plugs, coolant, struts, etc. Despite that I still love the car and it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it so its worth it.
Unread 12-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #550
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Yeah, the 4.7 is a *little* picky and the WJ in general isn't as shamelessly generic as say, a Mustang. I mean, special T-case fluid, gear oil (somewhat) and somewhat-unusual coolant/power steering fluids are about all I can think of that's "special".

Anyway, I'm glad the water pump worked out. I was even so bold as to go to Jeep.com and look at JK-Us after this incident...
Unread 12-19-2013, 03:10 PM   #551
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
I was even so bold as to go to Jeep.com and look at JK-Us after this incident...
If the fuel mileage was a little better, I could probably talk RJ into trading in her TJ in for a JKU. She likes the look of the JKU when larger tires are installed. She also doesn't ever want to sell her convertible. I think the JKU would be a good compromise between a TJ and a baby hauler! I can't say things like that though...
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 10:56 PM   #552
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Did my water pump tonight. Gasket sealing surface consisted of rtv and some gasket on a corner. Looks like it had been off before and someone glued it back on. Have to love shade tree mechanics sometimes...
Unread 12-20-2013, 10:48 AM   #553
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

At least it was RTV. Could have been bathroom caulking...
Unread 12-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #554
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

News here - finally got some snow. And ice, lots of ice. My Goodyear Silent Armors are a bit over half worn and really struggled on the ice. No problems to speak of where I could drive on snow... but it was an adrenaline-packed reminder that even the best all-terrains are not real winter tires when it comes to ice performance.
Unread 12-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #555
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
At least it was RTV. Could have been bathroom caulking...
Please tell me you haven't encountered that in your mechanical adventures...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.