The Billzcat1 Build Thread - Page 35 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > The Billzcat1 Build Thread

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 04-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #511
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Got the Rola on, that was easy. Used black RTV on all of the joints and bolt holes. Perfect size for the roof of a WJ! I mounted it on the cross bars as a trial and it is actually quite low and quite sturdy. I was thinking that it might need some fancy brackets but it sits very nicely as-is.

Also, I may have finally solved my PS leak for good! Replaced the high-pressure line from pump to hydraulic fan. The fitting on the pump may have been the leaker (although it was not leaking when under pressure/running). Of course, immediately after I do this (and put a fresh Napa pump in for ****s and giggles), the pump completely fails and I have no power steering at all.

billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #512
roughknight69
1995 ZJ 

No pics of it installed!? :tisk:
Unread 04-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #513
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

No pics because the Jeep wasn't leaving the garage again with broken power steering.

Power steering appears to be fixed. Back to a known-good OEM pump and with the new high-pressure line in it seems to be more or less fluid-tight. Wash and photos coming soon!
Unread 05-01-2013, 11:17 PM   #514
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

So far, so good on the power steering. No leaks. Hallelujah! I fought that beast for months. MONTHS. And spent about $600 too much "fixing" it. At least I have all new hoses and cooler, for whatever that's worth.

And of course, I began my scheduled unemployment yesterday. 100 days off work as required by Microsoft as a contractor. The good news is I have a guaranteed job and a promotion after my 100 days are up! But for now, I have lots of free time!

So I washed the cars today, began waxing. Waxing the Jeep is kind of pointless with all the passenger side damage but the rest of the horribly-scratched paint could use it. If nothing else, it makes the truck much easier to wash when it's waxed. The headlights were a little cloudy so I polished them up. They're getting a little worse but they aren't bad enough to worry about yet. Also waxed the TDI today, it always seems to pick up about 5 mpg when I wax it. AND since we are having such a beautiful spring, I finally TOOK SOME DAMN PICTURES with the new Moabs and the Rola installed.

Fqtr

Dead Front - I love this view

Distance

Rack - pretty low to the rails, I'm happy with it.
Unread 05-01-2013, 11:31 PM   #515
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

That is how every WJ should have rolled off of the factory line: Clean wheels, and shackles on front. Looking good!
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #516
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Looks great! Everything coming together, rims, rack, minimax and lift! Although the one shackle on the left is a little crooked in the front view picture, going to have to subtract a few points there. The rack only seems to add about ~6" to the clearance, which isn't as much as I had thought originally. Happy to hear that the power steering is now holding the fluid inside the system now.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 03:10 PM   #517
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
Anyone reading this thread and interested in a Rockauto discount: got this discount code in my email: 142820595176324

"The discount takes 5% off our already-low prices. There's no limit on order size or the number of orders. Use the code for your next order, and share the code with friends, neighbors, relatives, the guy at the corner garage--anyone you know who works on cars or trucks.

This discount code expires on June 9, 2013; so don't wait!"

Just ordered a Transmission Filter/Gasket for my WJ and a Filter/Gasket along with a secondary Pan Gasket for Mom's 01 Trooper!

Thanks Richard!

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #518
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Any updates on wind noise on the rola? Negative effects? Thanks
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 05-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #519
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

It's pretty quiet up to 55 mph. After that it gets a little loud. Bear in mind I have the full-length version and I only hear it right above the sunroof; the standard version may be quieter as it's positioned only above the metal roof.

Also, it got a lot quieter when I put stuff in it to go camping. Kind of surprising! Also, there seemed to be very little effect on fuel mileage. My last highway trip returned 16.5 mpg but it was not the normal highway cruising like on the interstate - it was mostly very curvy, hilly roads with 35-45mph speed limits and tons of hairpins, heavy braking, and 15mph-max corners. This was with 4 of us in the Jeep, loaded to the roof, with the roof rack AND hitch cargo rack full of stuff to boot.

Some pictures from the trip:

Packed to the gills

Making it work with car seats...

The total package... on the roof are the tables, chairs, and Pack-N-Play for Marcus, on the hitch carrier is all the firewood.

On the way - we're on the Washington Peninsula, looking over the Strait of Juan de Fuca at Canada.

Hiked out to Cape Flattery - the northwestern-most point of the continental USA.

My family at the point

Me and "The Boy". The Jeep baby-carrier is awesome, BTW. Yes, I had a split lip and a badly-burned mouth for this trip but I still had an awesome time!

We camped next to our friends' RV so the site wasn't awesome (new tent was amazing BTW)

...but this was the view we had.

Unread 05-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #520
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Thanks for the update, I found it for 125 and free shipping so its a pretty tempting buy.

Looks like you had one awesome trip as well too. Jeep was definitely loaded down and looks like it took the weight well!

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 05-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #521
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Yeah, it was a good trip. All that stuff is bulky but not that heavy. I also took 32 2-cu ft bags of bark the other day and moved around the new 8x16 trailer, fully loaded. Now that was a bit of a workout for the Jeep. Approx 7000 lbs, estimate 800lbs tongue weight, just to move it around and park it in a tight spot in the driveway. Wound up using the front hitch for the final maneuver into the corner. Towed the same trailer with a bit of furniture (but no brakes!) around town, did fine.

It almost makes me feel guilty that I've been shopping heavily for HD truck tow rigs.
Unread 05-29-2013, 05:22 PM   #522
narnwv

2000 WJ 

stay safe out there buddy. ratmonkey (Tyler) passed away last night in a car crash. (in case you haven't seen any of the other threads about it)

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #523
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I haven't spent too much time on JF lately, been busy with other things. That's horrible news. He was an asset to JeepForum and I am sure to his local community as well. He will be missed.
Unread 06-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #524
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Nothing new to report on the Jeep "build". I got some new hardware to snap my cargo net in the back. Exciting stuff...

But we did take a camping trip! Tried a different layout in the Jeep, didn't need the cargo carrier on the hitch this time. Pics from the trip.

This area is about 2 hours from home; east on I90, then go to Roslyn and just keep going until you run out of road.

I think this is Huckleberry Mountain

On our way up, saw a Sage Grouse and about 12 babies crossing the road.

This is up a FS road 139, we were looking for some dispersed camping, found very little except beautiful views and steep cliffs

There was one great campsite up about 3400ft, but it sat right on a bluff that looked decidedly un-kid-friendly.

Mandatory Jeep Content

Came down the mountain back into the Cle Elum Valley, found a campsite on the ideally-named "Camp Creek"

Camp Creek

Me and "The Boy"

Went hiking up FS Road 221, found some relics

Some deer...

And a collapsed mine adit

All in all, a good Jeep trip, just wish we had more time.

Also, the Jeep returned a dismal 12.5mpg for this trip, but that includes a lot of poking around exploring FS roads trying to find a site.
Unread 07-01-2013, 12:02 AM   #525
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

You're a lucky guy. A nice family, a great Jeep, and beautiful scenery all around both where you live and not too far to travel. I'd love to live in an area like that. Never forget how blessed you are. It's a good life, and I'm envious. I always find myself striving for more after viewing your thread here. I know that may sound lame, but it's true.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.