The Billzcat1 Build Thread - Page 33 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > The Billzcat1 Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 03-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #481
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

The last two alignments I had there both wound up with loose parts in the suspension - from two different locations, even. Be sure to go through and make sure everything is tight - especially the jamb nuts on any aftermarket suspension. I went back through and tightened up my JKS tie rod and track bar - they were flat out loose and clunking.

billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #482
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Well, still haven't washed her yet. It was on the docket for today but spent it engaged in other pursuits. Yesterday, did the every-two-months detail session on the VW (wash, windows, wipe down interior, vacuum). Started on the Jeep. Took out all the kiddie stuff and used it for a dump run. Vacuumed it out.

The current curb weight (according to the dump scale which is +/- 20lbs) is 4560lbs. Not a featherweight by any means.

And today's Jeep project was tie rod ends! Mine weren't "bad" but they certainly weren't good either. They were in the state of "tie rod rotates easily by hand" but not at the point where they clunked or moved up and down. Replaced all with Moog. Definitely impressed with the Moog parts, they were substantially more beefy than the OEM TREs. The worst ones were the two on the drag link.

Did a tape measure alignment. No wander, steering wheel dead straight, first try! And the driving experience is certainly improved - there's no more wander and the response is more direct. The wife had complained that the steering was too vague and it was hard to drive sometimes without steering too far and then correcting. So I made her feel the difference between the OEM TREs (wiggle easily by hand) and the Moog (won't even move by hand). Voila! Now the wife thinks it was money well-spent!

I'll probably get my wash on tomorrow and take pics of the new wheels.

Up next weekend is another stab at the power steering leak. Have new O-rings, new PS cooler (mine appears to be mostly blocked) and hoses all around. Except for the top high-pressure line. That one was spendy and there's no apparent issue with it.
Unread 03-30-2013, 09:40 PM   #483
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
Well, still haven't washed her yet. It was on the docket for today but spent it engaged in other pursuits. Yesterday, did the every-two-months detail session on the VW (wash, windows, wipe down interior, vacuum). Started on the Jeep. Took out all the kiddie stuff and used it for a dump run. Vacuumed it out.

The current curb weight (according to the dump scale which is +/- 20lbs) is 4560lbs. Not a featherweight by any means.

And today's Jeep project was tie rod ends! Mine weren't "bad" but they certainly weren't good either. They were in the state of "tie rod rotates easily by hand" but not at the point where they clunked or moved up and down. Replaced all with Moog. Definitely impressed with the Moog parts, they were substantially more beefy than the OEM TREs. The worst ones were the two on the drag link.

Did a tape measure alignment. No wander, steering wheel dead straight, first try! And the driving experience is certainly improved - there's no more wander and the response is more direct. The wife had complained that the steering was too vague and it was hard to drive sometimes without steering too far and then correcting. So I made her feel the difference between the OEM TREs (wiggle easily by hand) and the Moog (won't even move by hand). Voila! Now the wife thinks it was money well-spent!

I'll probably get my wash on tomorrow and take pics of the new wheels.

Up next weekend is another stab at the power steering leak. Have new O-rings, new PS cooler (mine appears to be mostly blocked) and hoses all around. Except for the top high-pressure line. That one was spendy and there's no apparent issue with it.
I did a big in-depth cleaning on mine as well today! The weather was perfect for cleaning. I did all four TREs over last year with the Moog units and was also thoroughly impressed. They have been holding up superbly. And I as well did my allignment with a tape measure, having noticed no abnormal tire wear and the steering is how I like it, I'm starting to wonder if a precise machine allignment on these vehicles is important. Perhaps an allignment check wouldn't hurt but I was able to save $70 and I think its been 3 years now since mines been on an allignment rack.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 12:37 AM   #484
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I've done enough TREs at this point that I have my technique down. The tally has to be approaching 50 at this point. On my last Audi I did them and went for an alignment (4-wheel independent suspension with toe affected by caster changes). The toe was correct with a tenth of a degree using my normal methods. I'll keep an eye on tread wear but to be honest I am pretty confident in my abilities at this point.
Unread 03-31-2013, 01:03 AM   #485
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Wow, the WJ is a heavy girl! I would not be surprised if I am right up there with all the tools and crap I carry around. Good to hear the Moog tie rod end install went well. Did you add a shot of grease to them after the install? How tight did you get on the castle nuts?
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 11:59 AM   #486
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Well, I'm only 200lbs over listed curb weight. With a ~50lb bag of tools, misc JKS parts, Rubi wheels, and the MiniMax up front. I didn't add any grease, they appeared to be pretty well greased already. I do a lube service with every oil change, I figure they'll be fine for the next 3500 miles.
Unread 03-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #487
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Oh that is right, WJJeeps has a variety of weights lifted for the different Trims and 2wd/4wd. It lists mine as being, round about 4000 pounds on the dot. But as it sits now, I for see it being another couple hundred pounds on top of that.

Yeah I saw that mini-max and it looks so awesome, I want one! They have a modular one now I believe where you can run a the tow bar and a bull bar. Would be pretty sweet.

Huh, alright. I was just wondering. I figured the grease in them was just enough from the factory to get by from rusting or something like that. Oh, speaking off, may want to slather them in grease or shoot them with some paint. After ~10 months there is a tiny bit of surface rust on them. I hit mine with a squirt of grease shortly after install. My rational being, "eh it can't hurt".
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 03-31-2013, 05:40 PM   #488
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Yeah, I have the modular one but I have no need/want for a bull bar so I have the plain version with the shackle tabs + hitch mount.

The TREs were plenty greasy (on the outside) and don't forget - we don't have salt here so nothing rusts.
Unread 03-31-2013, 06:42 PM   #489
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

I looked at the pictures again and I am really liking it. The Bar has the tabs for shackles which are perfect. Now I see how the brackets bolt to the frame and then the bar bolts to the brackets obviously. However, I was wondering what makes it modular... the fact that bar bolts to the brackets and is not one solid piece? Would a bull bar mount to the outside of the brackets?

I noticed some rust previous to the salt months. Just the rain in general seemed to kick start the natural process. I almost wish I painted them when I got them but, really is not a big deal.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 03-31-2013, 07:11 PM   #490
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Curse you and your lack of salt. I'm personally looking for a mounting solution for my two KC hilites I had to take off so I've been looking at small safari bars and the such. Don't want anything that comes up higher than the bumper and don't want it wide/wrapping around. My main worry about the safari bar by Westin is the brackets look like they murder approach angle. That and it limits the angles from which you can pull from the front tow hooks.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 09:06 PM   #491
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

The MiniMax solves both of those problems. No hit on approach angle and keeps all the options for recovery/bars/winch/whatever. The reason it is called "modular" is that the design philosophy allows multiple configurations with maximum flexibility. You have the base brackets, you can add mounts for a bull bar, you can add shackle mounts, and you can tie it all together with the crossover bar/front receiver. The previous version was all welded so from a manufacturing standpoint they were not flexible at all. This allows a cheaper price point with less overhead and more options for the customer.
Unread 04-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #492
04Overland47

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
My main worry about the safari bar by Westin is the brackets look like they murder approach angle. That and it limits the angles from which you can pull from the front tow hooks.
You are 100% correct. I had one on my red WJ for a while and the brackets do hang down extremely far. Wouldn't recommend it.

Youtube Channel
WJ Thread
04Overland47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 09:32 AM   #493
04Overland47

2004 WJ 

BTW billz, i envy your Overland

Youtube Channel
WJ Thread
04Overland47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #494
Fawkes
WJ recovery gear

2000 WJ 

Hopefully Richard doesn't mind me stepping in and giving further explanation. If you do, feel free to tell me to take it to IM, and edit this post.

The original MiniMax design was all welded, with two holes threaded for 3/8" bolts in each end for a bull bar mounting tab (they came from us plugged, but you could order the tabs separately and that way add them for cheap). Fairly early on, and after having a customer try to order just the tabs (thinking that they could use them to relocate a bull bar that way), we worked with our engineer to redesign everything so that the receiver/shackle tab combo cross-tube could be bolted to the mounting brackets with zero loss in strength.

With that redesign, we also designed shackle tabs that could be bolted on in place of the cross-tube. Each bolt-on is optional, which is what makes it a "modular" system. Once the standard brackets are mounted to the WJs uniframe, you can mix-and-match your choice of shackle tabs, bull bar relocation mounts, or the MiniMax receiver/shackle tab crosstube. You can do all that with no more than a $50 hit (+ shipping).

We're working on making different base mounts for WKs, WK2s, KKs, and KJs which would make the tabs, bull bar relocation mounts, as well the MiniMax truly a modular system for uniframe Jeeps in general. Those mounts took a back seat to getting our new stand alone shackle tabs for WJs up and going, but they are closer to the front-burner now.

In the mean time, and to clarify: There is a slight loss of approach angle with everything we make. There's just no way we can make a product that sticks out past the fascia to mount a D-ring or receiver-mounted winch plate without having a few degrees loss. We've done everything we can to minimize the loss of approach angle, but customers can feel free to bounce our products off of rocks if they need to...their warranty covers any structural damage to the product that might result. In the not-too distant future we expect to have a skid plate available that will help protect the radiator support as well.

Hopefully that answers the questions posed without interrupting Billzcat's build thread too much....

Click to order:
WJ Stand-Alone Shackle Tabs.
WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Kits.

Kris Fox
kfox@fawkesmfg.com
www.fawkesfab.com

Last edited by Fawkes; 04-01-2013 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Fawkes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #495
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post

My WJ wanders all over the place, gets really old. I checked the TRE's and they do rotate by hand. Based on your results, looks like I have a big RockAuto order to place...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.