The Billzcat1 Build Thread - Page 31 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > The Billzcat1 Build Thread

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #451
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Hmm, somehow I missed the reply here. There was a couple weeks I wasn't getting my notifications via email.

I haven't addressed the magnet issue. I was thinking of using a small rare-earth magnet and then just drilling and tapping the cover and bolting the magnet down. Sure, it probably wouldn't move on its own, but if it did and got chomped up into the diff somewhere, I'd be kicking myself trashing a $500 diff for the lack of a $0.50 bolt. Hopefully these thoughts aren't too late to be helpful.

billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #452
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Build thread update (the real reason I came to my own build thread).

Since doing a deep charge on my Autozone Gold (and no other repairs or diagnostics) I haven't had any more no-start or slow-starting issues, even parked for a week. So, it seems like some fluke thing that was causing my issues before. I am sure IOD is still too high but its not showing any actual symptoms.

For Christmas, I went and drove over the passes, picked up my 4 brothers-in-law and brought them over for the family dinner. Took them all back the next day in the snow. "Chains Required" on the passes, drove over 150 miles in the snow. There were a few hairy parts - I was running over-inflated on my Silent Armors for better freeway mileage with 1000lbs of humans + gear, so when I was driving back with just myself, there was a definite lack of traction. Nothing that couldn't be handled with cautious driving though. The only really dangerous times were when someone spun out on the freeway 2 cars in front of me, and when I started crabwalking down a hill on a sheet of black ice. Nothing you can do on ice without real winter tires, studs, or chains.

And the WJ got something for Christmas - a 500lb hitch mount cargo carrier. I've been wanting one for a while, so the wife picked one up for me. I had to grind just a little on the main tube, but in doing so I can now fit it either in the rear hitch or the front hitch. Paint it up, and voila! It fits 2 of our large camping totes and 2 of the medium totes easily, so that will open up a HUGE amount of room in the WJ when we want to go camping. Plus I can use it for hauling stuff I don't want to store in the Jeep like bags of dirt, bark, sand, etc. I'm pretty stoked about it.

I've also been researching and shopping for other SUVs.

Gasp!

We have 2 kids and my wife is watching a a few others for in-home daycare. So we are looking for a people hauler. And of course we have situations like the above - where I hauled 5 adults in relative discomfort, packed into a WJ like sardines. But! We don't want a minivan. We are also considering something that has high towing capacity (travel trailer) and something that has a lot of cargo room when seating 4 (again, thinking camping with the kids). There are tons of 1st-gen Ford Expeditions on Craigslist under $4k, but then the 2nd-gen are very appealing with their independent suspension and much nicer interior. But since we're talking about only occasional use, not using as a daily driver, the cheaper option is probably the smarter bet. The 1g Lincoln Navigator is basically the same truck as the Expo with a DOHC 5.4L, an extra 40hp and 8500lbs towing capacity, so that's another thought. In researching, the 5.4L spark plug issues seem to be a total non-issue on the DOHC version of the engine - which is a very close relative of the Ford Lightning engine as well as the Mustang Cobra R/Shelby Mustangs... just not supercharged.

One thought we had was filling the Expo and WJ full of gear, then trailering the WJ up to the mountains. Set up a base camp, and take the now-empty WJ wheeling.

If anyone has any thoughts on a full-size SUV that isn't terribly pricey, I'd love to hear it. What is off the list - GM and Toyota.
Unread 01-01-2013, 10:55 PM   #453
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Good to hear that battery issue has been taken care of from what is sounds like!

SUV's - So you are looking for the Full Size like you said. Now I can spout of a ton of Full-Sizes but probably out of budget. Based on what you said about the 1st Gen Ford Expedition, could one assume a budget of around 10k-15k? For that you could pick up a high mileage LR3, but since Land Rover's are known for their reliability... It will seat 7 but, its actually small compared to other Full Sizes.

Any reason why GM is out? Yukon XL's or Suburbans? My buddy just picked up a 2002 3/4 Ton Suburban with the 6.0 for cheap. If you do go with a first gen Expedition, don't get the 4.6! Not a bad idea with the first Gen of the Lincoln Navigator either.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 10:59 PM   #454
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
Build thread update (the real reason I came to my own build thread).

Since doing a deep charge on my Autozone Gold (and no other repairs or diagnostics) I haven't had any more no-start or slow-starting issues, even parked for a week. So, it seems like some fluke thing that was causing my issues before. I am sure IOD is still too high but its not showing any actual symptoms.

For Christmas, I went and drove over the passes, picked up my 4 brothers-in-law and brought them over for the family dinner. Took them all back the next day in the snow. "Chains Required" on the passes, drove over 150 miles in the snow. There were a few hairy parts - I was running over-inflated on my Silent Armors for better freeway mileage with 1000lbs of humans + gear, so when I was driving back with just myself, there was a definite lack of traction. Nothing that couldn't be handled with cautious driving though. The only really dangerous times were when someone spun out on the freeway 2 cars in front of me, and when I started crabwalking down a hill on a sheet of black ice. Nothing you can do on ice without real winter tires, studs, or chains.

And the WJ got something for Christmas - a 500lb hitch mount cargo carrier. I've been wanting one for a while, so the wife picked one up for me. I had to grind just a little on the main tube, but in doing so I can now fit it either in the rear hitch or the front hitch. Paint it up, and voila! It fits 2 of our large camping totes and 2 of the medium totes easily, so that will open up a HUGE amount of room in the WJ when we want to go camping. Plus I can use it for hauling stuff I don't want to store in the Jeep like bags of dirt, bark, sand, etc. I'm pretty stoked about it.

I've also been researching and shopping for other SUVs.

Gasp!

We have 2 kids and my wife is watching a a few others for in-home daycare. So we are looking for a people hauler. And of course we have situations like the above - where I hauled 5 adults in relative discomfort, packed into a WJ like sardines. But! We don't want a minivan. We are also considering something that has high towing capacity (travel trailer) and something that has a lot of cargo room when seating 4 (again, thinking camping with the kids). There are tons of 1st-gen Ford Expeditions on Craigslist under $4k, but then the 2nd-gen are very appealing with their independent suspension and much nicer interior. But since we're talking about only occasional use, not using as a daily driver, the cheaper option is probably the smarter bet. The 1g Lincoln Navigator is basically the same truck as the Expo with a DOHC 5.4L, an extra 40hp and 8500lbs towing capacity, so that's another thought. In researching, the 5.4L spark plug issues seem to be a total non-issue on the DOHC version of the engine - which is a very close relative of the Ford Lightning engine as well as the Mustang Cobra R/Shelby Mustangs... just not supercharged.

One thought we had was filling the Expo and WJ full of gear, then trailering the WJ up to the mountains. Set up a base camp, and take the now-empty WJ wheeling.

If anyone has any thoughts on a full-size SUV that isn't terribly pricey, I'd love to hear it. What is off the list - GM and Toyota.
Excursion Diesel

Suburban k2500 diesel
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #455
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Excursion is too big, my wife is already concerned about the size of an Expedition. The K2500 Diesel with the 6.5 might be a good one to check out though. Seems to be hard to find in the 94-99 range. Not interested in the older body.

And sorry Michael -- I wish I had a $10-15k budget for an occasional-drive vehicle. More like upper limit of 9 and really don't want to spend more than $5k. 1g Expo/Navi still looking pretty good for the money. We'll see. Still researching.
Unread 01-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #456
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

I didn't know, just was spit balling there. Well, I've got some first hand experience on a 99 Expedition with the 4.6 and the rear auto level air suspension. (It is owned by one of my close friends since brand new, he is also very car savvy. I can ask him for repair/maint things that he could think of.)Air bag went at 170k and the 4.6 Liter sucks. Rear diff fluid is a pain in the butt to change. Lol.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 01-02-2013, 05:32 PM   #457
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Yeah, I've been reading up on failures of the air suspension. It's one of the only trouble spots I've found There are complete kits to replace the air suspension systems with coils and shocks/struts starting at $200 for basic Monroe stuff to $600 for Strutmasters stuff which appears to be Eibach springs and Unknown shocks. And the 4.6L is just too small for what we want to do with it, for sure with a 5500lb+ curb weight. Makes my Overland look like a sports car!
Unread 01-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #458
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

He was able to get the air bag for around 100 dollars and replace it himself. If you are wanted to count out GM and Toyota, there isn't much left other than Ford products. There is not all that much to the Expedition that he has at least, so I figure there is probably less to go wrong with them. Psh, the 4.6 Expo makes my 4.0 Jeep seem peppy.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 01-02-2013, 05:45 PM   #459
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

That GM 6.5 diesel is a dog, stay away and get a duramax if you can. As far as large SUVs go its hard to beat Ford and GM (the 2nd gen dodge durango is awful but the Chrysler aspen clone is better, but not by much.). The spark plug spitting problem isn't on the Lincoln navigator due to the dohc heads but the 2nd gen ford suvs and trucks with the 3 valve heads have their issues with the plugs breaking off in the heads due to an idiotic 3 piece design. This was fixed sometime around early 08 so if it hasn't had its plugs changed before 100,000 miles you might be in for a world of financial pain. Honestly I'd probably pick a GMT900 with the tried and true Chevy small block, they're newer, more powerful, and have nicer interiors. Go for a 6.0 or 6.2 in GMC guise, they're honestly quite handsome. Also, stay away from the 5.3, its pure weak sauce in these.

Just don't get an escalade, I'd make fun of you forever if you did.

Sent from inside my 4.0.
Cirruslydakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #460
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I could stand by the GM trucks to an extent, my mom had an 01 Suburban with the 5.3 Vortec that just kept going and going. After 160k of soccer mom duty it needed.... balljoints. Her 07 Caddy has been quite maintenance intensive and I dislike the way it drives (not the way it rides). The power of the escalade is more than sufficient (6.2L of awesomeness laughed when I used it to tow my boat) and the interior comfort is quite redeeming, but I wouldn't want it as a people hauler, especially for little children. Ask me how I know, fixed many a broken interior piece due to one of my little brothers (oh and bet you wouldnt guess how much an interior door handle costs!). Moms boyfriend's 04 Denali actually rides quite nice (well it only has 40-50k on it) with the air suspension. Weird electrical issues on that vehicle though such as the speedo and oil psi gauges dying out. Anything else GM and it doesn't really have my blessing. I don't particularly care for lower priced Ford vehicles because that puts you in the 90-early 2000s era. I really disliked Ford's styling cues during those times and the cars felt very cheap and things like the knobs and collumn shifters on some of their trucks from that era made me feel like I was playing with a cheap plastic spaceship. Oh and I agree please stay away from the minivan if you can, I've never driven a single one that I can claim was borderline pleasant. As far as the expedition goes, they don't really seem to die but I don't see it as a pleasant car to drive around. I rode in a Navigator once and felt like a midget in the seats and as though every turn was like maneuvering a yacht into port. That was just my perspective from the passenger seat, I don't imagine it was much more fun to drive than would be an RV. Toyota, ehhh I still have a bit of 'Murica in me so I don't like them but I don't have much more ground to stand on than that. Out of principle I don't care for Honda vehicles after seeing several painfully underpowered vehicles made with plastic in areas even a logistical engineer would have put metal.

So TLDR my oppinions are I don't stand by GM but their trucks have never left me with much to complain by
I do not like Ford anything pre 2005 when they restructured their vehicles and got their acts together.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #461
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Gm vortec Gen I engines are 4.3, 5.0(305), 5.7(350), 7.4(454). Gen II are 4.3, 4.8, 5.3, 6.0, 6.2. Stay away from the built in Mexico 5.0, they're crap.

GM never quite got DOD (displacement on demand) right on these compared to the hemi MDS which is far better. Ford large SUVs are biased of the F series trucks until their second generations. They're tough but their truck roots show through in the sloppy ride and interiors made from playskool plastics. Engines are the 2v 4.6, 5.4, and in excursions 7.3, 6.0, 6.4 diesels. Stay far away from the 6.0 as its total crap and the 6.4 is a marginal improvement at best. The 4.6 2v is a real dog (it should have been in the explorer replacing the 5.0) in these with the 5.4 not being much better. Either way both are thirsty but still haul a lot if you don't mind the gas bill.

Next up is the Lincoln aviator/navigator with 32v intec 4.6/5.4 engines which are better but the SUVs surrounding them have issues. Pray you never break anything or those ford hid headlights never need replacing since they're pricey.

The Chrysler camp holds the durango/aspen. Revised 4.7 and 5.7 hemi. That's about all that's good with them. They're ugly (subjective), interiors are awful (subjective), but I bet you could get them for cheap since they're the prime example of everything that was wrong with the Mercedes takeover of Chrysler. Since you're already familiar with Chrysler stuff anyway that shouldn't be too much of a change from the WJ. Personally I'd get the aspen if I had to look at it every day, the gen II durango was vomit inducing and this is coming from a diehard Chrysler guy. Plus you get a lot of fancy luxury options that aren't on the durango.

P.S. Just stay in the Jeep family and get a grand wagoneer already.

Sent from inside my 4.0.
Unread 01-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #462
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

That is great feedback; just what I was looking for! I started looking outside the Seattle area and found that there are a lot more vehicles in my price range once we get out of the Washington markup. Nearly-identical vehicles are about 40% cheaper in Portland, OR.

Your feedback brings up a good point though - I forgot about the 1st Gen Durango entirely. 2nd gen is just too ugly for words. It sort of reminds me of the MB R350 minivan. First gen Durango is in the right price range, has 3rd row seating, and has the advantage of being Mopar. I'll look into that more.

I'd love a Grand Wagoneer. We had one when I was growing up, I think it was a 79. Cream with wood trim exterior and orange velour and shag-carpeted interior. It had a rear-mounted air conditioner that chilled the backseats to arctic conditions while the driver cooked. Sadly, I don't think that an FSJ would pass the wife test.
Unread 01-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #463
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Id love to get my hands on a well taken care of Durango R/T with the 360, special ecm, cam, and hot 5 spoke 17" wheels. The Durango and Dakota were just "right" when they came out. You could always pick up a regular one with the 4.7 and have the same inventory of parts for that and the WJ to help consolidate costs. Then again a nice exhaust on the R/T sounds amazing.

Sent from inside my 4.0.
Unread 02-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #464
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

A few updates!

We went out to Tahuya State Forest during the Super Bowl... with the idea that the place would be deserted. It still had about a dozen rigs there, but not too bad overall. Most of them were at the Mud Lake anyway. No breakage to report! No crashes. New equipment performing well. It was just the two of us: WJ + Disco 1, so there aren't too many pics. Here's a few:

Pulled up on a stump. Poser shot? Yes. Also checking for where the bump stops hit.

Here's what sway bar disconnects do for you:
WJ with short arms, 3" lift, 30s, and sway bar discos

Disco with long arms, 3" lift, 32s, cut fenders, and sway bar connected:

The disco on a narrow hillclimb:

The disco getting crossed up. Watch for dangling tires!
Unread 02-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #465
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep looks good! Love that first pic from the rear of the Jeep with the flex going on there, Jeep looks very surefooted. Also, I love your buddy's disco, from the utilitarian bumper to the steelies that thing just looks rugged!

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.