The Billzcat1 Build Thread - Page 27 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > The Billzcat1 Build Thread

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 10-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #391
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

If the fluid was overheating and building too much pressure, wouldn't it catastrophically... explode? Or even putting too much pressure on the o-rings.

To test for a blockage in the cooler, could you disco the lines and try and to put a compressor up to one end it and see if it blows fluid out the the other side. hah.

You should post some pictures of, anything if you want.

Secondly, we can trade Jeep if you want too. Ill give you mine and throw in a few G's.

~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 11:11 PM   #392
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07
If the fluid was overheating and building too much pressure, wouldn't it catastrophically... explode? Or even putting too much pressure on the o-rings.

To test for a blockage in the cooler, could you disco the lines and try and to put a compressor up to one end it and see if it blows fluid out the the other side. hah.

You should post some pictures of, anything if you want.

Secondly, we can trade Jeep if you want too. Ill give you mine and throw in a few G's.
Depends, usually in a pressure system the weakest link will fail, in this case probably the shaft seal between the pump housing and reservoir. Beyond that it would be an o-ring and on up the line. Looks like its time to put a gauge on it and check your pump pressures. Theres a table in section 19-5 in the FSM detailing the procedure. Mines showing relief pressure for the V8 being 75 psi.

Also, didn't you already have the factory filter on the system already? I thought they came with one, you do have the hydraulic fan setup right?

Before I installed my cooler I pressure checked it and cleaned it out at work but we have a radiator/cooler shop and not everyone has access to those. You might want to call around a few places to see if they do it. Ours takes anything no matter the make, model, or type.

Sent from inside my 4.0.
Cirruslydakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #393
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Well, I did a slightly ghetto fix today and it seems to have worked for the moment. Drilled a 1/16" hole in the reservoir cap (a spare). No more leak. I was planning on grabbing an IR thermometer from work to test my cooler theory but I forgot. But it's just more proof that the problem is high pressure in the reservoir. Now to find the cause.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #394
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Oh, and no, I didn't have a factory filter in any of the lines. That feature was phased out through the years. The parts fiche shows a filter in the return hose but it doesn't exist, that's just an inaccurate, out of date diagram.
Unread 10-16-2012, 09:09 AM   #395
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

You would think that the cap would have a vent already in place on it, maybe its too small to handle the pressure build up you're expierencing. Hmm.

Sent from inside my 4.0.
Cirruslydakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #396
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

I would have to say that it is odd that the pressure in the reservoir cap is there in the first place.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 10-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #397
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

The cap has a large spring assembly and multiple layers of "stuff" in it. I think it is supposed to be a pressure relief but it isn't working. Even with a brand new Mopar cap. The pressure is the real baffling thing.
Unread 10-16-2012, 09:36 AM   #398
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

This is so weird. A high pressure line mixed up with a low pressure line in the reservoir? It seems like something has got to be backwards. Not to insult you or anything. A valid next step, as you said, was your p.s. fluid cooler. Is the reservoir supposed to be under minimal pressure? Maybe need to find a diagram of the flow through the entire system and see if there is blockage somewhere that could cause back pressure in the reservoir and cause the leak.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 10-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #399
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
This is so weird. A high pressure line mixed up with a low pressure line in the reservoir? It seems like something has got to be backwards. Not to insult you or anything. A valid next step, as you said, was your p.s. fluid cooler. Is the reservoir supposed to be under minimal pressure? Maybe need to find a diagram of the flow through the entire system and see if there is blockage somewhere that could cause back pressure in the reservoir and cause the leak.
Trust me, it only goes together one way. One high pressure line out to hydro fan assembly. Line from hydro fan to steering box. Return line from hydro fan to reservoir. Line from steering box to cooler, line from cooler to reservoir.

From what I understand, the only pressure that is supposed to build in the reservoir is due to the expansion of the fluid. It is the low-pressure side of the pump. Day 2 with a hole in the cap, no leak. I still think the cooler must be blocked or otherwise ineffective for this problem to even occur. Externally it looks fine. My lead on a good-used one fell through. I'm not paying $150 for a lousy cooler. Maybe get another aftermarket trans cooler and replace it all with flex line. I don't know.
Unread 10-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #400
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

I figured the least that it was all hooked up right, just wanted to toss it out there.

If the cooler is blocked, I'd spend 50 on another "transmission cooler" from e-trailer that is plate fin style and very efficient.

Looking at the diagram, I just do not get how there can be high pressure in the reservoir! Unless the control solenoid is throwing high pressure into the low pressure return line...
hydro-fan.jpg  

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 10-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #401
Upside
2002 WJ 

On the ZJs shipped to Europe the power steering cooler was just another OEM trans cooler flipped over and mounted to the driver's side. I used one on my ZJ with no issues, if I remember correctly it was a 6"x8" cooler. If that's your issue it sounds like a good upgrade from the stock cooler.
Upside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #402
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I got ahold of an infrared thermometer and temped the cooler after I got home from work (a short but hilly 3.9 mile drive).

Fluid in the reservoir: 105
Cooler on the leading edge of the top bar: 95 - sounds about right
Cooler on the trailing edge of the top bar: 64 - this should the same as the leading edge - this is all the "hot" side of the cooler.

So, at least part of my theory is correct - the entire cooler should be roughly the same temperature across each of the end tanks. Whether that's causing the issue or not I can't say. I'm still intending on replacing it.

Also, the 01-03 V8 power steering cooler is giant. It doesn't need an upgrade. It needs to work properly. It's roughly 10x10, bar and plate style. It's larger than the transmission cooler I just installed. Chrysler was pretty concerned with fluid temp with the hydraulic powered fan.
Unread 10-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #403
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Well, the PS leak still isn't cured but it is manageable. Still rocking the cap with a hole in it and the original cooler, likely mostly plugged.

I've noticed lower coolant temps now with the transmission cooler and the transmission is much more willing to hold in top gear going up hills on the freeway where it would normally unlock the converter and possibly downshift. So I'm pretty happy with that setup.

But the main reason I'm checking in... something funny happened in the Jeep last night. Cruising along the freeway in a lovely Washington rainstorm, front and rear wipers going. Heard a Click. Looked back and there's a wiper arm stuck just above the rest position and the blade was gone! Apparently the plastic clip where it goes into the arm failed and my rear wiper fell off.
Unread 10-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #404
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Time for a rear Viper delete Billz.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2012, 05:42 PM   #405
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomahawk
Time for a rear Viper delete Billz.
Why would you wanna delete the rear wiper O_o?!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.