The Billzcat1 Build Thread - Page 23 - JeepForum.com
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #331 of 572 Old 06-20-2012, 08:32 PM
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
Move out here then! We can hang; I'll even let you ride tailgunner with that 4Runner of yours.
Trust me, I'd like to. The only hang-up has been getting a job out there. I've applied to quite a few places and am lucky to get a response, and thus far there've been no takers. It doesn't help being in a dying/transitioning industry.

And hey, don't be doggin' on the 4Runner. It isn't so bad. It's easily as capable as the WK. It can actually surprise me, though it doesn't feel nearly as nimble or downright just capable of going off-road without fear of damage as the ZJ did. Then that's just mostly because it's heavier and feels like it. With every new model these things are bigger, heavier, and tend to have less ground clearance. I wish they'd stop trying to make them into Chevy Tahoe sized minivans.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 572 Old 06-20-2012, 08:35 PM
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
Buddy I live in "The Mountain State" (Mountaineers), and it's 100 here today. Granted, I live in "the chemical valley", not up in the mountains, but still. Too hot for me.

Alaska here I come.
You call those mountains? Visit Colorado. Now them are mountains.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #333 of 572 Old 06-20-2012, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard View Post

And hey, don't be doggin' on the 4Runner.
Did you see me dogging anywhere? There'll always be GC vs 4Runner rivalry, it's all in good fun. The only ones I hate are the pre-96 4Runners with 6" lift on shackles + crossmember drop and 35s on stock axles/gears...that can't use anything but 1st through 3rd.

And hey, I'm not the one who went to the dark side!

Here's what you've gotta do - keep the 4Runner as a DD and build yourself a nice budget ZJ or XJ.

As for mountains, I think I got you all beat for max elevation in a Jeep. Zing!

But yeah, all you fellas with the 90-105 weather... today was 74 and sunny, lovely late-spring day. People rip on WA for the rainy weather, but the fact is that it's always mild here. I used to hate the rain and clouds but honestly it doesn't even get to me anymore. You just pay attention to something else and realize that the weather doesn't matter.

We get a couple snows a year and a maybe a handful of days over 90, but for the most part, we have 45-80 weather. If you want snow and we don't have it? Go 1 hr east into the mountains. If you want sun and we don't have it? Go 2 hrs east into the desert. We have it all: deserts, wetlands, plains, alpine forest, glaciers, sand dunes, rainforests. The only things we don't have are Chick-Fil-A and fireflies. That trip I posted above is a prime example, going from Suburbia to woody forest to scrubby plains to snowy mountains in the course of 8 hrs.

~Richard

post #334 of 572 Old 06-20-2012, 11:27 PM
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

I just took it wrong, what you said, I guess. No worries. I like the 4Runner well enough, but it's not got the spirit of my Jeep. Then I don't have the history with it. I can't afford two vehicles right now, unfortunately. If I did, I'd have a Jeep for fun and an economical something or other for a DD.

Where in Washington is there an elevation above 14k? And I've been to the top of Mount Evans on multiple occasions back when I had my ZJ. It's a bit higher than that, actually. I've also been to the top of Pike's Peak. Both are at higher elevation that 14k even. I think Mount Evans is 14,400 or there about. I still envy you though. I'd like to live in Washington or Oregon or Idaho or Montana or Colorado, but the job market has dried up in the areas I'm skilled. So I'll just keep looking. Maybe one day I'll be back in your neck of the woods and we can meet up. It's been years since I was last up there.

post #335 of 572 Old 06-20-2012, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Yeah, that was just Pikes Peak. We do have Mt Rainier over 14k but you can't drive to the top. YET. Muahahahahaa!

~Richard
post #336 of 572 Old 06-20-2012, 11:46 PM
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
Yeah, that was just Pikes Peak. We do have Mt Rainier over 14k but you can't drive to the top. YET. Muahahahahaa!
Where there's a will there's a way. Just get on that now. I know you can do it.

post #337 of 572 Old 06-22-2012, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Taking a stab in the dark that my power steering leak is from the reservoir-pump seal. That makes sense, as the leak is from the back of the pump region and is not from a hose. $7 seal on the way!

Since I had to pay the minimum shipping anyway, tossed the Mopar cabin air filter kit on the order.

~Richard
post #338 of 572 Old 06-22-2012, 09:00 PM
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

How bad is the tear down of the PS pump? I have a suspicion that the main shaft bearing is on its way out

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

98 XJ Sport | i6 | AW4 | 231 | Stone White | Agate Leather

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
post #339 of 572 Old 06-22-2012, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Can't be that bad. I've done other PS pumps, even the bifurcated Audi pumps. Looks like it might be related to the old Saginaw pumps.

~Richard
post #340 of 572 Old 06-25-2012, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Well this is a little troublesome. Lead wear is not looking great at the moment. I have another sample on the way in (this one sat on the shelf almost a year) to see if it continues to be a problem. 6PPM isn't the end of the world but it's not 1. :-/

~Richard
post #341 of 572 Old 06-25-2012, 07:03 PM
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Could be worse, you could have a broken piston skirt.

Thorne - 02 WJ Overland
Bear - 99 WJ Laredo
Apollo - 08 Mazdaspeed3
Valentine - 99 XJ Limited
post #342 of 572 Old 06-25-2012, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

You made it to 244k, that's not too shabby! I'm as baffled as they are about the sodium, I mean I am losing coolant at a rate of about 4 oz/year, might be a tiny pinhole leak in the head gasket or something? Yet the Potassium levels are not indicative of a coolant leak. Maybe my short-trip driving style is contributing to bearing wear. After all, my commute is only 7 miles/day.

A couple things of note though - the 4.7 HO has tri-metal bearings (with tin, copper, and lead plating) and yet neither tin nor copper show significant wear. Tin is dead-on zero and Copper is below universal average.

Insolubles - very good. Wix filters FTW!

Viscosity - very thick, even at 6000 miles

Magnesium - why so different? I used Mobil 1 HM 10W-30 from Walmart on both of the changes shown above. Ca, Zn, P, all significantly higher as well. I wouldn't expect that with only a 500mile difference in OCIs.

~Richard
post #343 of 572 Old 06-25-2012, 07:37 PM
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Yeah, that'll have something to do with it. Not enough time to warm up. You don't have the emulsion under your oil cap do you? Well, then again you probably have the decoder installed that keeps that from happening.

Thorne - 02 WJ Overland
Bear - 99 WJ Laredo
Apollo - 08 Mazdaspeed3
Valentine - 99 XJ Limited
post #344 of 572 Old 06-28-2012, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Well, I gave Blackstone some more infos about my driving conditions and got this in return:

Quote:
Richard,
Thank you for the follow-up information. It's entirely possible that the use you mentioned explains the bearing wear that we've been seeing. If it holds steady in future samples, it might not be a problem, but rather a side effect of the use your engine sees. We'll keep an eye on lead. It's not like 6 or 7 ppm is a huge problem, but it's higher than universal averages, and until we have solid trends built, it's hard to call it normal.

We don't actually test coolant itself at our laboratory, so we're not sure of the composition of certain brands coolant. What we're checking for is the footprint left behind when the coolant burns up/evaporates when it comes into contact with hot oil. In most cases, that footprint is potassium and sodium. Sometimes there's silicon thrown in there too. Sometimes you see one without the other, but that's fairly rare. But, since you're noticing coolant loss, and you're sure you're using Mobil 1, the sodium could very well be from the coolant. In that case, that might explain the bearing wear. If this is coolant, at this point, the wear is very little and the leak is very small, so you might not need to take any action. But if you'd like to get down to the bottom of it, you could see about having the cooling system pressure checked to see if that gets you any answers. But like I said, this is something your engine seems to be living well with for the time being, so that's sort of up to you and your budgetary constraints.

Sincerely,
Amanda Callahan
Blackstone Laboratories
I sent in another sample from my latest change so we will see what they say. I'm thinking about using some of the Blue Devil head gasket sealant - while stop-leak products are usually ill-advised, I have found nothing but good reviews for this stuff, even from people with completely blown head gaskets.

~Richard
post #345 of 572 Old 07-14-2012, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Well, I got my most recent UOA back and it's not stellar.

Sodium and Potassium are on the rise, and Lead is increasing as well. So maybe there's a tiny head gasket leak? I can't say. I added about 4 oz of coolant 3-4 months ago and it is still dead-solid on the full line. Bear in mind it took me almost a year to get the 6000 miles for this oil change, so there are a LOT of cold starts, drive 3 miles to work, and shut it off. Also, a lot of wheeling.

Of note is that Mobil1 High Mileage formula has changed it's formula. Note that the Calcium (cleaning agent) has been essentially halved but there's a boost of Magnesium. Overall I'm not impressed with the wear numbers with this current formulation of M1HM. Blackstone offered to do a Virgin Oil Analysis for free so that we can both benefit - trying to see if they have started using Sodium or Potassium as additives, and of course to track down the current formulation of M1HM. The good news is that the ZDDP is still strong with M1HM.

In other news... I had an annoying power steering leak that appeared to be coming from the reservoir. So after cleaning and rearranging my garage today, I went after that guy. There's an O-ring between the reservoir and the pump and I figured that was the likely culprit after I did a system flush (and got all the gunk out). This was actually a pretty easy job, albeit somewhat messy. Of course the pump has to come out to get the reservoir off. You have to remove the airbox lid, the upper radiator hose, and of course the serpentine belt. Once you have the pump out there are two strange slide-on clamp fasteners holding the reservoir on that you have to pry up a locking tab while also hammering the clamps off. The pump itself is nothing special, just a garden variety Saginaw vane-type pump. After that, the reservoir just comes off and the O-ring can be replaced. The original O-ring was all stretched out and appeared that it had lost a bunch of its thickness. It honestly looked like the wrong O-ring for the job. The replacement O-ring went in there nice and firm, plump, lubed it up with PS fluid, reassembled, cleaned everything in reach with a couple cans of brake cleaner. Everything looks good so far. Nice and cheap fix too, $9 for the O-ring and $4 in brake clean, 2 hours of lazy work.

Given that both the power steering and cooling system run off the same pump, I've been stressing on that for a while. I've been topping off the fluid regularly so it never came close to running dry, but nonetheless, it's good to have it done.

I also installed the Mopar Cabin Air Filter kit, it was pretty darn easy. I was thinking about doing a write up for it, but it's so easy I don't see any value in doing so. Does it work? Probably. It's one of those transparent mods... you can't tell it's there until you drive through a dust storm (or behind someone on a dusty trail, my main concern). So it's in there. Yay!

~Richard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.