The Billzcat1 Build Thread - Page 17 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > The Billzcat1 Build Thread

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 05-04-2012, 01:37 AM   #241
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

7) I think that could be a possible option if needed. I do not know all that much about CB's when it comes to the type/size/length/power of the antenna and radio. But I do recall on the other Jeep having to set the whip part of the antenna a certain hight from the... umm I don't know what you call it, it says trucker 2000 on it, I think. But none the less a marking on the whip to put it in the right tuned spot. A short antenna not going to do the Job?

8) Are those factory TRE's? None of mine, on the WJ at least, are greaseable ends. But I agree, with 100K miles on them. Probably about that time. TRE's are in the back of my mind too. No problems yet.

9) Right, I was thinking that, they are some weird oval shape. By the the time you buy 2 new bushings for one arm, get the tools, and get them pressed. Not really worth it.

13) ohhh, okay to the hood cowling where the HAVC intake is right? That would be a pretty cool project but also sounds like a PITA as mentioned. The factory air box is decent at keeping water out. Ask me how I found that one out... (mud and crap down at the bottom). Yeah you also had a nasty run in with deep puddles and your rear diff if I recall? I don't know if you have seen the stock air intake on a later TJ but they had some weird cone looking intake coming out of the filter box with a rather small opening on it. We replaced that with a 90 degree 3 inch elbow

Sounds like the Jeep will be on some jack stands and dropping coils for that test! Sounds like fun? Maybe?

~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 01:46 AM   #242
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

CBs are all about the antenna and ground. The base units are limited to 4W output, it's antenna size that gets the power out, and it's the ground plane that reflects the signal out. I could do a 2' antenna and leave it on all the time I suppose but range would be limited, particularly rearward. If I painted my AM/FM antenna black it would kind of look cool, matching. Might just do that. It's a thought at least.

Yeah, factory TREs as far as I can tell. No grease fittings. Just a bunch of grease got pushed out the boot on the lower drag link TRE. 129xxx miles on them and 12-15 wheeling trips. It's just time. I have mad skills at tape-measure alignments so I'll be ok there.

Check out my nose-dive into the sippy hole on page 8. That's why I want to do something about the air inlet. Then again, that was an exceptional circumstance that I'm lucky to have made it out of ok.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #243
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

I guess you can't 'amp' the CB radio. Compcrasher informed me that that was not legal?

Ohhh right right. I understand now. I keep wanting to get new TRE's but they seem to be just fine. I don't trust my skills with a tape measure for that!

Just looked at page 8, and that looks scary!
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 05-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #244
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

You can, there are amplifier kits but they are not technically legal. 4W is max by FCC regulations. I seriously doubt that anyone actually enforces the wattage limit, but I'm not looking to be a crazy radio enthusiast, just want reasonable function at a reasonable price.

Honestly I wasn't planning on doing the TREs until one burped out its grease. I don't see any tears in the boot, but somehow it got out.

On my last tape measure alignment I had it re-aligned by Firestone shortly after. The toe was only off 0.11 from perfect, within factory tolerance for toe. It's just a matter of measuring from fixed, reliable points and then doing the same again with the new parts.
Unread 05-04-2012, 02:40 PM   #245
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Are you "anti tail light antenna" person? I do not remember if you said that or not. But a lower mount may have more room for an antenna. I know you were talking about doing a hood mount. Or something like this to "fold it" here

I don't believe mine have done that yet. So I guess they will have to wait. I do want some grease-able Moogs though. I am very impressed with that, incredibly close by hand!

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 05-04-2012, 02:47 PM   #246
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I've seen the taillight mount and it doesn't significantly improve clearance for the antenna. It's only a couple inches lower than a hood mount.
Unread 05-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #247
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Oh did not think of that. All of this to get in the garage. I think the easiest way to solve this problem is to make your garage taller!

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 05-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #248
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Nah I'll just lower the Jeep instead.
Unread 05-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #249
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Air suspension! The Land Rover has a garage mode, click a button and it will squat way down. Actually comes in handy for loading and parking garages.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 05-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #250
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

They also have a "make dat *** drop" mode where the compressor fails and it drops to floor. Which LR do your parents have? My buddy with the Discovery recently got ahold of a late-90s Range Rover with a failed air compressor and a mangled front end. He pulled the 4.6 v8 and the HP24 trans for a swap into his Disco 1 (whose 4.0L V8 puts out less power than a Jeep 4.0L I6). That RR was tucking its factory 18s, actually looked kind of good.

Have you seen all the tire threads in the WJ forum lately? "Will a 255/45-17 work on my WJ?" those sorts? There's been a couple threads of late where people are talking about 25-26" tires because they are completely clueless about P-metric sizing.
Unread 05-04-2012, 06:08 PM   #251
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The taillight mount functionality wise isn't as good as the hood mount because it puts the antenna closer to body metal which makes
It more difficult to achieve a decent SWR tune. I was able to get mine down to 1.6 I believe which isn't great but it's safe and the range is good enough for my uses. The hood mount would annoy me I know eventually most would get used to it but for me it might become a distraction. Also my roommate has the hood mount and he gets A LOT of flex in the mount compared to my tail light setup mines nice and steady on the highway.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #252
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I guess we'll see. The nice thing is that I don't plan on running the antenna full-time, just for trail rides (unless I get the 2' Stik). So I wouldn't have to deal with it being distracting most of the time.

Late-breaking WJ news - I have been browsing Craigslist more actively of late. I found a set of 17" Moab wheels for $120 for 5 that I can't afford!

But I DID come across a Bright Silver 2004 Limited bumper for $20. It's cheap because its scratched right in the center...where I'll be cutting it out for the tow hitch. It also has a black plastic step-plate on the lip near the cargo area as opposed to the faded-grey color step plate on the Overland bumper. I much prefer the black, plus mine is kind of damaged. I'm going to check it out and buy tomorrow AM if it's in as good shape as I think it is. This will be handy to repair the damage that was caused by my wife backing into a parking stanchion.

I also pulled the trigger on brakes - MrBlaine of Savvy Offroad/Black Magic Brakes made me a phenomenal deal on the Centric Premium + Black Magic Brake Pad combo which is much appreciated as I have had very low cash flow for the last 4 months. He was able to upgrade me from good pads w/ decent rotors to phenomenal pads with great rotors. Work starts on Monday and they started grinding a couple days ago with the classic metal-on-metal sound in reverse (noticeable only in reverse due to tapered pad wear). It's only a matter of time until they hit the backing plate. So those should be in my hands this week and on by the weekend and I can have a safe Jeep!
Unread 05-06-2012, 07:45 AM   #253
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

^^^Cool Billz, pls let us know how that brake combo turns out, got my finger on the trigger myself, waiting for a qoute with shipping costs to Norway from Mr.B right now.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #254
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I certainly will!

Today I stopped by to pick up the craigslist $20 bumper. It has a few dings in it but is in overall better condition than my current bumper. The majority of the damage is confined to the area that I'll be trimming out to fit around the factory hitch and bezel. However, it's not nice enough to make it worth all the hassle of swapping. It was still worth $20 to have a spare. I'll stick it in my rafters in case I rip the rear bumper off on something. This one will look very nice if I bondo up the dings and then bedline the whole thing (along with the rest of the lower contours).

I also picked up a replacement door handle for the front passenger door, that thing is all chewed up from when I slid into the wall on the trail.
Unread 05-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #255
krnkimchi702
1995 XJ Cherokee 

get this.. lol just temptation

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/pts/3006388868.html

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.