The Billzcat1 Build Thread - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > The Billzcat1 Build Thread

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 05-01-2012, 01:13 AM   #211
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Oh no really? $700? I wonder what your options are. If the officer at the scene declared it a non-reportable accident, do you have to pay still? I don't know how things work out in VA.

billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 01:19 AM   #212
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

I do not know HOW THE HECK they managed to claim 700 worth of damage. If the guy returned the car and never said a word, nothing would have ever happened. The cop had to ask if there was any damage. I guess to the other driver "yield" means "stop". My deductable is 500 but if it goes through insurance (state farm) I don't know what that'll do to the rates. All around a crappy situation for something so so so minor. I don't know all the rules etc either. Dad was going to look into it more. Im so mad that I let that slip and did this. Stuff happens so quick.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 01:22 AM   #213
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

They're not even going to fix it. I've had rental cars with all kinds of body damage. Far worse than a 1" scratch. It just goes to their bottom line. Rent a car for a day? Pocket $10. Claim $700 damage and don't fix it, pocket $700.
Unread 05-01-2012, 01:25 AM   #214
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Im sure your right. If I remember, they were charging me 125 because the car couldn't be used to be rented out. Jeez just stupid crap. They guy used his own insurance to insure the rental car. I thought you paid like 20 bucks for the rental insurance that covered like everything?
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 05-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #215
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

A couple new developments in Billzcat1land.

Researching the possibility of retrofitting the pre-02 oil pressure sender to the v8 to gain actual pressure gauge function. We've established the later gauge clusters will respond to gauge input. Established that the sensors are physically interchangeable. Problem is that the later switch-type is a single pin while the earlier is a 3- pin. Probably power, ground, signal. Since I don't have an early-build service manual I don't know what is what and if it takes + 12v or +5v. So that's shelved for the moment.

Yesterday I got some familiar grinding from the front brakes in reverse...the metal-on-metal type. Repeat performance today. Forward motion gives no grinding. The right front inner pad is a bit tapered and has a whopping 1mm or so of pad material left. Yay. So the brake job has now made itself a higher priority than I had expected. Good thing my new (renewed old) commute is extremely short! I'll be ordering brakes on my first paycheck.
Unread 05-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #216
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Another development. Since I determined that the Rubicon take-offs aren't going to suit my needs, I have been considering other wheels. The most compelling offering is the JK 16" 5- spoke steelies. There are dozens on craigslist. They are dirt cheap and look ok. I don't need flash, I need function. They are only a half lb heavier than Moabs and open up a world of possibilities in tire choices with 245/75-16. Plus tires are cheaper. If I don't like them I'm only out $80. Or I can paint them. Who knows.

I'm still torn on going more aggressive with tires since the Jeep is a short-distance DD, no longer the primary driver/family vehicle. Or going with a known good like SilentArmors again or maybe Cooper Discoverer ST -an amazing tire that I wouldn't mind running.

Of course I'll probably change my mind again a dozen times before I pull the trigger.
Unread 05-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #217
krnkimchi702
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
I do not know HOW THE HECK they managed to claim 700 worth of damage. If the guy returned the car and never said a word, nothing would have ever happened. The cop had to ask if there was any damage. I guess to the other driver "yield" means "stop". My deductable is 500 but if it goes through insurance (state farm) I don't know what that'll do to the rates. All around a crappy situation for something so so so minor. I don't know all the rules etc either. Dad was going to look into it more. Im so mad that I let that slip and did this. Stuff happens so quick.
used to work for enterprise, it would suck to confront the person about dmgs they had no idea about, but at the end of the day, you signed a contract and you are responsible for a car no matter who damaged it. now if you have documents stating that the other person was at fault, yes you will get your money back and the ins company will take care of everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
They're not even going to fix it. I've had rental cars with all kinds of body damage. Far worse than a 1" scratch. It just goes to their bottom line. Rent a car for a day? Pocket $10. Claim $700 damage and don't fix it, pocket $700.
the way the company told us was that at the end of the life of the rental car, they have to fix all the scuffs/dents like it was a new car. if it is a major damage where there is a liability of fault for renting a damaged vehicle, that vehicle will get fixed asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
Im sure your right. If I remember, they were charging me 125 because the car couldn't be used to be rented out. Jeez just stupid crap. They guy used his own insurance to insure the rental car. I thought you paid like 20 bucks for the rental insurance that covered like everything?
why did they charge you 125?? was it your rental??

sorry for hijacking just want to know some info lol
Unread 05-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #218
krnkimchi702
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Another development. Since I determined that the Rubicon take-offs aren't going to suit my needs, I have been considering other wheels. The most compelling offering is the JK 16" 5- spoke steelies. There are dozens on craigslist. They are dirt cheap and look ok. I don't need flash, I need function. They are only a half lb heavier than Moabs and open up a world of possibilities in tire choices with 245/75-16. Plus tires are cheaper. If I don't like them I'm only out $80. Or I can paint them. Who knows.

I'm still torn on going more aggressive with tires since the Jeep is a short-distance DD, no longer the primary driver/family vehicle. Or going with a known good like SilentArmors again or maybe Cooper Discoverer ST -an amazing tire that I wouldn't mind running.

Of course I'll probably change my mind again a dozen times before I pull the trigger.
you should really consider the duratracs
Unread 05-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #219
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnkimchi702 View Post
used to work for enterprise, it would suck to confront the person about dmgs they had no idea about, but at the end of the day, you signed a contract and you are responsible for a car no matter who damaged it. now if you have documents stating that the other person was at fault, yes you will get your money back and the ins company will take care of everything. the way the company told us was that at the end of the life of the rental car, they have to fix all the scuffs/dents like it was a new car. if it is a major damage where there is a liability of fault for renting a damaged vehicle, that vehicle will get fixed asap.

why did they charge you 125?? was it your rental??

sorry for hijacking just want to know some info lol
It "technically" was my fault. But the guy had stopped unnecessarily at a yield. Was not expecting him to stop because there were no cars coming... By the time I noticed and slammed the brakes, it was not enough and love tapped the rental car. (I was driving my WJ, there is no damage at all to my Jeep, nothing). So, it left a little scratch and ding in the rental car bumper. The $125 is for the rental car not being able to be used while it is being "repaired". Because of the "damages" those two little marks, I am being charged with the cost to fix which came out to total around 700 dollars.

Billz, if you dont wan this all on your thread, let me know and we can move it over to mine.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 05-01-2012, 10:20 PM   #220
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I know, I know, Duratracs are the go-to tire for everyone. There have been a couple choice reviews that I took to heart about sidewall strength, trail damage, and tread squirm. I'm probably overthinking it but I talked myself out of DTs a couple weeks ago. I'll probably talk myself back into them. That LR Disco of Aaron's is on the Discoverer ST-Cs (which just have a more tear-resistant tread for sharp rocks) and they have treated him well. My SAs have done the same. There are a lot of good tires out there. It makes it harder to choose one.

If we price things out - Goodyear SilentArmors P-metric $178/tire w/$100 rebate, Discoverer ST-Maxx Load Range E (new design) $180/tire, Duratracs Load Range C $192/tire w/ $100 rebate. I'd like to get into an LT-rated tire if I'm going to get more serious about wheeling. The Duratracs and the ST-Maxx are considered "hybrid" tire types as well, pretty much good in all trail conditions but I do value toughness in a tire. ST-Maxx are 3-ply, DTs are 2-ply. Both are 18/32" tread depth. Ahhhh why must I overthink this so?!

Last edited by billzcat1; 05-01-2012 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: Took out the snobrdkid accident info, he beat me to it.
Unread 05-01-2012, 10:24 PM   #221
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

You could look into the tires that I have. The Yokohama Geolanders have been an all around good tire. I really do not have that many complaints about them. They are wearing faster then I would like, but then again I drive hard on them. Burnouts, fast turns, etc. They were CHEAP(er) then most tires that I was looking at and that is what sold me. I do not know the "specs" of them. But, they are rated a 44 max PSI at full load if that means anything. Pretty quiet on the HW and aren't too aggressive for DD'ing but still do well off road. I don't do 'hardcore' off roading, but they work for me being on a budget!

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 05-01-2012, 10:28 PM   #222
krnkimchi702
1995 XJ Cherokee 

yeah i also read about the sidewall strength of the dt, but at the end i felt like it had plenty of reviews to warrant me spending over 700 lol or just go all out and buy the goodyear mt/r lol
Unread 05-01-2012, 10:31 PM   #223
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Michael - I'm not trying to talk trash on your tires, I am sure they are good, I'm just shopping on the premium end of the market. Oh lord there's just no way to say that without being a jerk.

Byung - There is also that... so many happy people, so few negatives. Like I said. Overthinking.
Unread 05-01-2012, 10:33 PM   #224
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
I'm not trying to talk trash on your tires, I am sure they are good, I'm just shopping on the premium end of the market. Oh lord there's just no way to say that without being a jerk.
Don't worry about it! I didn't know what you were looking for so I just threw them out there.

How about some Goodyear MT/R's with the Kevlar in the sidewalls.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 05-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #225
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Indeed they are! The Silent Armors are essentially the A/T version, uses the same carcass with a different tread pattern. And they are great! I know they will perform well for everything I use them for but my stupid brain always wants to try new tires. That's the only reason I have to not get them again. They have been flawless for me.

Also, I've seen an MTR/K take a gash through the sidewall on the trail. It wasn't even a trail hazard that did it! It was a JKS Quick Disconnect post that got steered into while we were all pulling a U-turn due to excessive snow.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.