The Billzcat1 Build Thread - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > The Billzcat1 Build Thread

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-13-2012, 12:12 AM   #181
=KZ=
2000 WJ 

I was thinking if I wanted to go that route on my next set of tires I would custom space my rig up to 3.5" front. Won't you loose your foglights as well? It would be great if you guinea pigged it since your a reliable source of info as far as actually discoing and getting it right.

I was also wondering if having adjustable upper and lower CA would enable you to bring the wheel as far back in the wheel well as possible, (while keeping pinion angle reasonable) to avoid rubbing in the front, as a trick to keep the fogs. Just a thought.

Unread 04-13-2012, 01:31 AM   #182
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

You've got the emissions behind the rear bumper I believe so you shouldnt have much trouble retrofitting in a ZJ washer bottle under the hood.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #183
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Yeah, there's a little solenoid there behind the airbox but nothing major. ZJ bottle can go there between the brake MC and fender.

I guess what might happen (should I come across a set) is I'll try them, see just how far they would need to be trimmed and whatnot. If it doesn't work out, I can always resell without taking a loss. I've got a good place to test flex in my driveway - a lovely giant rock. It always gets funny looks from the neighbors...
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #184
=KZ=
2000 WJ 

Are you gonna run the take offs full time or as a set of offroading shoes? I was thinking of getting a set of chains for the rear in case I need to contend with mud with my SA's. I would get fronts but figured that clearance may be an issue.
Unread 04-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #185
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Eh, it's kind of a hassle to change tires all the time. I don't know what I'm going to do with any degree of certainty or if I will even wind up with a set. My plan would be to run them full-time.
Unread 04-22-2012, 12:27 AM   #186
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Well, after some good discussion with =KZ=, I have decided not to run the Rubicon take offs. While the price, tires, and wheels are all very attractive, I wasn't happy with the degree of cutting required and the very limited uptravel that would result. So when the time comes, I'm back to square 1, definitely going 31s.

Today was a big "car day" where a large group of friends gets together at someone's house to work on cars. It was big one, 9 cars needed work - 2 e36s, a Lotus Elise, a Porsche Cayman S, an XJ, my WJ, a Toyota Pickup, an e30 325iS, and an S2000.

My project was really simple, just make a couple bumpstop extensions up front to protect my shocks from bottoming out. I picked up some 6061 aluminum from the metal scrapyard, nice 2x2 box tubing. Cut it in the bandsaw, marked it to match the holes on the bump stop cups, went to town. I painted them black because they were kind of ugly having been stored outside, and I didn't want shiny aluminum poking out in my wheel wells. As they get dirty, they'll just blend into the undercarriage.

As for the rest of the day, I spent a lot of effort and time working on the XJ, the same one I installed TREs and an IRO track bar a couple weeks ago. Today was a big project. We did C4x4 Tow Hooks (VERY burly, amazing quality), the radiator, fan clutch, alternator, thermostat, serpentine belt, replaced the battery terminals and wiring to power block and starter. Tried to do the water pump, but the bolts were frozen solid and the pump wasn't bad, just wanted to do preventative maintenance. Decided it was best to just let it be for now and cross that bridge if the pump fails. Anyway, it was a LOT of work, worked from about 2PM to 9PM and got it all done. TIRED.
Unread 04-25-2012, 02:54 PM   #187
krnkimchi702
1995 XJ Cherokee 

thanks to you, i now want a front diff cover....

btw thats a nice looking red cherokee lol
krnkimchi702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #188
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnkimchi702 View Post
thats a nice looking red cherokee lol
Ehhhhh it's alright.

For the diff cover, yeah that's a good mod to keep in mind. I popped my ZJ's diff cover into a rock on Fortune Creek trail. It wasn't enough to puncture it, just enough to break the RTV seal and make it leak.

So if you do a diff cover, get a Lubelocker with it. That way it stays sealed as long as the bolts are still in it. The SOLID diff covers are a really good deal at $65 each. I got a heck of a deal on the Riddler diff cover and a Lubelocker from a forum vendor and also got free shipping which was nice, the diff cover is heavy. Another thing that maybe you have already gleaned from the thread - get Grade 8 bolts for the cover. The Grade 5s that came with my diff cover won't hold enough torque for the Lubelocker to stay compressed, at least mine started stretching when I changed the fluid (after that trip through the water holes at Tahuya). Had to go Grade 8 anyway, might as well do it up front. And this time we'll skip the True Value. 3 bolts, what's the deal with that?!
Unread 04-25-2012, 09:52 PM   #189
krnkimchi702
1995 XJ Cherokee 

btw i enjoyed reading your trip reports.. hopefully i'll be able to join the pictures soon. im crossing my fingers that with all the snow we got, the trails didn't get washed out
Unread 04-25-2012, 10:17 PM   #190
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Most definitely. We'll probably hit Tahuya again in May, just because there's nothing else we can get to right now that isn't either closed or under 4' of snow. The great wheeling up in the Cle Elum area won't be passable until late July. That's my favorite place to go and there are 2 or 3 good trails up there that I haven't fully explored.
Unread 04-28-2012, 09:56 PM   #191
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Man this thing hauls a load. I've been freshening up the landscaping here when I can, replacing bare dirt with bark. I've been picking up bark in 2 cu ft bags. Hauled 20 bags today and could have easy gone to 25 possibly 30. And it didn't squat down under load. Love it.

Power steering is leaking enough that it has it's own 6" spot on the floor next to the 6" oil spot from the driver's side valve cover gasket. The hoses look fine, it appears to be a reservoir leak.
Unread 04-28-2012, 09:58 PM   #192
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
Power steering is leaking enough that it has it's own 6" spot on the floor next to the 6" oil spot from the driver's side valve cover gasket. The hoses look fine, it appears to be a reservoir leak.
I believe that's the Jeep's self-lubricating chassis.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2012, 11:02 PM   #193
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

It's not nearly as self-lubricating as say... a British car. Those don't just self-lubricate, they get rustproofing!
Unread 04-29-2012, 12:01 AM   #194
krnkimchi702
1995 XJ Cherokee 

speaking of oil, az has 5qt/filter on their mobil 1 for either 32.99 or 34.99
Unread 04-29-2012, 12:33 AM   #195
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Yeah, I have to make a special trip to the Walmart in Everett (20 miles from home) to get the 5-qt jugs. The closer store (12 miles) has a spot for it but is ALWAYS sold out. I did the 6-1 qt bottles thing, it was too spendy for my taste.

I might be hitting up Autozone pretty soon here. I'm about 700 miles from my 6000 mile mark. Oddly enough, after putting 22k on in my first 12 months of ownership, I've only put on 5300 miles since last July. A big part of that is my 3- mile commute (when working) followed by almost 4 months of unemployment. Another part is that we take the VW everywhere since it averages 41mpg and pulls 47 freeway.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.