The Billzcat1 Build Thread - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > The Billzcat1 Build Thread

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 04-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #166
smunns

Al's Liner is what you want. It's DIY, and you can tint it any color with regular automotive paint pigment. I sprayed mine, and not only did it turn out great, it held up in Moab.

smunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #167
snobrdrkid07
2004 WJ 

Oh alright, I did not remember that. And they do look good black.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #168
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Ah Al's Liner. I'll look into it!
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #169
darule336
2000 WJ 

Take your time on the prep work if you end up using the bedliners. Did my whole Cherokee a few years back. she has now faded from black to grey, and seems to have washed some of it off. It took a few years to fade and it's been parked for 5 years. But I figured it would have lasted it longer. I think it was called hercuiliner or something like that. Ended up being extremely rough, not something you would want to brush up against bare skinned.

So I recommend taking your time on the prep work, don't rush it, and use a higher quality product. I wouldn't want to redo it.
darule336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 02:13 PM   #170
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Congrats on the job/child on the way! That's always exciting news.

As far as the CB/antenna go, I'm in the same boat currently about that being one of my next (and hopefully very soon) upgrades. While I like the look of the tail light mount, I think it would help the range to be more centered. I was looking at a hood channel mount:

Hood/Trunk Mount

I haven't had a ton of time to really think it through but at a quick glance (and if my memory serves me well), the top of the fender to the bottom of the channel is 1.75" deep, meaning the 2" mount coupled with the "Fire-Ring" connector might be sleek and provide an even look to the factory antenna.

Edit: I think the fender channel has a slight slope to it. My thoughts were to slip a washer or two under one side to help plumb the antenna to the same angle as the existing antenna.

I also was thinking on a base load antenna with a small base to keep up the 'factory look'. Maybe something like this:

I honestly need to do a little more research on the antenna itself. I think I'm going to stick with a flexible type of antenna in hopes of not bending the fender or breaking the antenna on a low hanging branch or my garage door.

In regards to the CB, I'm considering mounting mine up with the EVIC - maybe drill the mounting bracket into the back towards the windshield. That would keep it clean and easy to access - probably run the wires along the head liner and down the pillar.

Anyway, just some ideas for you. I've been thinking quite a bit about these issues so maybe my ideas will spark up some thoughts for you.

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #171
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Oh yeah, I'm all about the prep work. I did the wheels and the skinny gold belt-line trim on my ZJ. Took 4 hours of prep for 10 minutes of spray paint, but the results were spot-on perfect. The wheels got a couple hours each... the surface was too far gone to make them perfect, but they turned out really nice.

Herculiner crossed my mind but they only have a couple colors. So far Monstaliner is looking the best but I'm looking at Al's too.
Unread 04-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #172
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

@Chris - I was looking at that very same combo - Fire-Ring connector and the hood/trunk tab mount. I considered the panel mount on the fender but didn't want to deal with getting a wire in there or clamping down the mount itself. Just seems like a nightmare without pulling the fender, and I don't want to do that at all.

For flexibility, I was planning on using the spring mount because branches and trail walls are a concern for me. Garage clearance is just never going to happen with a CB antenna, hence the need for a quick connect antenna.
Unread 04-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #173
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Yeah that does seem like quite a bit of work for a CB mount.

I don't know if I've seen a WJ with a hood channel mount so I guess one of us might be the guinea pig on this. If you get to it first, I'm sure I'll be asking for the little hints!

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #174
darule336
2000 WJ 

I am not entirely sure what I did or didn't do, but I blame it on the hercuilner. But I may not have prepped the surface right, hard to say at this point. Being 6-7 years since I painted it, buts its parked since I bought my wj. I would just try to find one that will give you an even consistent texture.

And congrats on the job, and the addition to the family.
Unread 04-11-2012, 04:24 PM   #175
smunns

Herculiner sucks. I used it on the inside of my TJ years ago and it faded over one summer.
smunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #176
darule336
2000 WJ 

Sorta glad I am not the only one to have trouble with it, at least Its less likely that I screwed it up.

What would be better. To roll or spray it on, it might be one way to clean up the look of my truck. Not the whole truck but the lower portion and maybe some of the underbelly.
Unread 04-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #177
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Another idea I've been throwing around is picking up a set of Rubicon takeoffs and making them fit so I'm keeping an eye on craigslist. I know I'm sitting a bit low for 32s, but it's possible. There are quite a few running them at 3" with trimming. I'm at 2-3/4", close enough.
Unread 04-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #178
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Food for thought... I ran a bald set of 32" ATs without any rubbing issues with only 1.6" of lift. Granted I never disco'd the rear with those on so there's a chance full flex things could get tight... I cant say I wheeled the bald 32s enough to tell. It was with my bumpers and the BB so expect light front bumper trimming. Not sure what a set of rubi takeoffs with MTs would do but with 3" I feel like you'll be fine. Heck I'm getting a set of 32s this summer and im just bout 3" of lift I'll let you know how it works out if you haven't made a move by then.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #179
=KZ=
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Another idea I've been throwing around is picking up a set of Rubicon takeoffs and making them fit so I'm keeping an eye on craigslist. I know I'm sitting a bit low for 32s, but it's possible. There are quite a few running them at 3" with trimming. I'm at 2-3/4", close enough.
I guess your refering to the bfg muds? What is the actual diameter of those do you know, I read somewhere else you posted that
bfg diameters arent correct to the size.
Unread 04-12-2012, 10:54 PM   #180
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Yeah, the 17" Moab rims with the 255/75-17 BF-G Mud Terrain KM1. It's very interesting tire, only made in a single size and a lighter load-range C for the Wrangler application. Since sets usually come up pretty cheap, I'm going to keep an eye out for them. I am not a huge fan of the Rogue Chromes and the chrome is actually peeling so bad out of the barrels it is almost ready to start peeling off the face.

The BF-G M/T KM2 Diameters run undersized. Not sure why. As far as I know, the KM1s are pretty accurate on sizing, 32.1" would be the converted P-metric size. I think with bump stops and trimming it won't be an issue. It'll probably rip my washer bottle off too. But this is all long-term, sometime-over-the-summer planning. Putting it all down on JF to help me stay on track.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.