The Billzcat1 Build Thread - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > The Billzcat1 Build Thread

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 04-08-2012, 12:27 AM   #151
alwaysHI
2003 WJ 

wow....1st time i hear IRO ****ing up.....i would call again.

alwaysHI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2012, 01:03 AM   #152
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

No doubt! I didn't make the contacts, the XJ owner did. So I don't know the whole story.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #153
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Oh, another thought on the IRO Track Bar - this was for the XJ application, mind you. The ball-joint had a very cheesy boot, it popped off while we were installing and does not really seal the joint. It's one that I would say needs frequent greasing to keep the joint happy long-term, and greased after every wheeling trip involving mud and/or water. But the whole assembly was extremely beefy, the poly bushings super firm and they included a larger, grade 8 axle side bolt. Plus it is nice, they offer the ability to upgrade it in the future to their double-shear, WJ-esque setup, which changes the TRE to a Johnny Joint and includes a WJ-style body-side bracket.
Unread 04-11-2012, 01:21 AM   #154
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Well, got some good news today. I'll be getting re-hired for another contract come May 1st. And the way the pay scales are working out I should be picking up at least a 50% raise since I'll be hired for the actual job I do, not contracted for menial work and transferred to a skilled position. Actually, that's great news considering I have a son on the way in early June and I just can't see how we could possibly survive on one person's UI income.

So that means I get to start fixing the stuff I've been neglecting on the WJ, hallelujah! Just in time for summer to start and me to get the itch to work on stuff.

I'm not going to fix the trail rash. I know I'll keep wheeling it and it's just going to happen again. I am still considering the merits of bed-lining the bottom half of the rig.

Stuff to do:
1)Replace cracked windshield
2)Trans service/filter flush
3)Send off oil for analysis, a sample's been sitting on the shelf forever
4)Add CB radio
5)Replace oil pressure switch with oil pressure sender
6)Replace oil drain plug with OEM, cheesy Dorman part is leaking after 18 mo.
7)Replace TREs
8)Replace front brake pads and rotors (about 1/8" pad material on inner pads)
9)Replace front upper control arm bushings - axle side
10)Replace front lower control arms
11)Replace rear lower control arms
12)Clean and paint front and rear lower spring seats (a little rust is getting started there).
13)Investigate relocating engine air intake to cowl
14)Investigate reinforcing and widening Overland sliders for lateral protection
15)31" tires (maybe if things are going really well at the end of the summer, either Duratracs or Silent Armors)

Looks like about $1500 worth of mechanical issues + upgrades. The great thing is - I really like how my WJ performs on- and off-road. The only thing I feel like I'm missing right now is a good CB radio. Everything else is just minor issues, needed maintenance, or wear and tear. I am pretty sure I'll just be doing aftermarket stock-type control arms; at the height I'm at, the shock length is really the limiting factor for flex, not the control arms. IronMan arms would be really cool, but I just don't need them and that would be wasted money. I don't plan on going bigger than the 3F-2R" lift but if I do in a year or two, it certainly wouldn't be on short arms.
Unread 04-11-2012, 01:49 AM   #155
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The CB radio really is a nice touch it's awesome on the trails and has kept me entertained on long highway trips chatting with truckers. I look forward to seeing we're you choose to mount the unit and the antenna.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2012, 08:14 AM   #156
narnwv

2000 WJ 

You're about like me man. I've got a few repairs/upgrades that are needed, and have also been considering bed-lining from the pinstripe down. My wife wants me to do the whole Jeep, but we'll see.

My CB is mounted to the metal strip under the knee panel on the driver's side of the cab, with a magnetic antenna mount that I screw a 2' firestick into when i need the CB.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #157
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

The CB radio is pretty high up the list, it's one of the most critical items at the moment. While that's a really long list, I don't actually have any real problems yet. Bushings are pre-cracked, as for TREs, only one has just begun to leak grease. So, I don't feel bad about doing a little upgrade before the fixes.

I already have a handheld CB; it was considered mandatory by the local club if I wanted to join the trips and it's already paid for itself in chatting with/getting advice from the guys I went with. The thing is that the range and sound quality are severely compromised. Either it's constant static or its squelched so far you can't receive. And range is limited to about 500 yards if you are transmitting from inside the cab.

The way things are working out, all my close friends are picking up 4WDs and want to go wheeling. Since I bought the WJ, my rank of friends has added a Discovery series 1, LandCruiser 60-series, an XJ Cherokee, and a Land Cruiser 100 series. And none of them have CBs yet. But I'm the one showing them how it's done and I'm tired of leading the pack and then getting out to yell at everyone "all clear" or to warn them about a hazard or give advice on an obstacle. So I'm going to make the handheld the loaner CB and mount up something that really works.

I'm debating between a couple options on CBs, mounting, and antenna mounts. I don't like the taillight mount setups very much. I am thinking of matching the OEM radio antenna position with a fender-mount bracket. My garage door is low enough that if I want a permanent mount, it'll be only a 2' stick. I want to go 3' which means I'll be looking for a quick connector.

I'm not going roof mount. I can't see a reasonable way to get the wiring up there without drilling holes and going crazy with pulling body panels and headliner. And I don't care if my range is only 3 miles instead of 4. Then again, I'm now considering a ceiling mount on the CB. I dunno, lots of options.

For the CB itself, I'm debating between the Cobra 75 for hidden mounting, only having the mic in the cab or the Uniden 510XL for quality. No question the Unidens are the best in class for quality. I'd mount it on the kick panel on the right side of the driver's footwell, but that's also where I'd mount a trailer brake controller. The wife wants to buy some sort of travel trailer so we can go camping more easily with the kids, so I have to keep that in mind for next year.

As for where I want to bedline - I want to take the natural body line where where the fenders flare and the cladding bulges from the body sheet metal. I think that would give it a lot of pinstripe protection as well as highlight the muscular shape of the fenders. I also don't want black, so that eliminates the DIY spray-on. So that leaves me with professional spray-on, or looking into the DIY roll-on stuff. I'd like a charcoal grey, and keep the sliders black.
Unread 04-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #158
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

A couple preliminary thoughts.... If you're doing a 2-3 ft antenna definitely do good mount up on the good food for thought my roommate has a hood mount but it flexes a lot so a brace to the fender sheet metal might be in order. My taillight mount is solid and awesome BUT the range isn't really that great I'd say a few miles at best. I put my radio in the center console where you'd find your cubby between the two cigarette lighters some of the smaller radios fit almost perfectly with a bit of trimming

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #159
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
As for where I want to bedline - I want to take the natural body line where where the fenders flare and the cladding bulges from the body sheet metal. I think that would give it a lot of pinstripe protection as well as highlight the muscular shape of the fenders. I also don't want black, so that eliminates the DIY spray-on. So that leaves me with professional spray-on, or looking into the DIY roll-on stuff. I'd like a charcoal grey, and keep the sliders black.
I believe you can get "colored" roll on bed line made? I completely agree that black bed-lining would be way to much of a clash. I'd def go with with a silver or gray if possible. Just my
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #160
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I have seen that mount, but I want to keep the cubbyhole.
Unread 04-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #161
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

@Michael - yes, the roll-on is definitely available in colors. I was thinking of Monstaliner: http://www.monstaliner.com/forms/monstaliner_colors.htm
Unread 04-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #162
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Oh very nice. Look at all those colors! Pricey but then again I've never looked at other companies or bed-liner before. Something close to matching the silver would be the way to go.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #163
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Actually, pretty reasonable. I mean, a single can of spray-on is $15 and that's just enough to do the rock sliders. A professional job would be $500 easily. I was thinking Medium Quartz Grey, a little darker than the silver for some contrast. I'd actually like a little darker than that, maybe order two pigment sets and use 1-1/2 cans.
Unread 04-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #164
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

From my computer screen, Medium Quartz Grey would give you the contrast you are looking for as is. It looks to be close to they grey color of the sliders. At least that is how the perspective is from my screen.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 04-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #165
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

My sliders are bedlined black (so that they add contrast from the body and look like sliders, not ricer side-skirts) and they'll probably stay that way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.