Bentley Project (WJ) Build Thread - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Bentley Project (WJ) Build Thread

UCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!Halloween Savings to die for!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 01-19-2010, 10:01 PM   #91
BHand89
1999 WJ 

Bad. A$$. Dare I ask how much the bumper, winch, flares ran you....

Unread 01-20-2010, 10:15 AM   #92
lvum4x4
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHand89 View Post
Bad. A$$. Dare I ask how much the bumper, winch, flares ran you....
I tried to save some money by purchasing the complete Iceland Offroad package in one shot. Iceland discounted my order because I packaged the lift, shocks, bumper, flares, and rock sliders together so I really dont know how much each one was individually. I will send you a PM if I can find the invoice. You can hit their website and check out the pricing and give them a call if have questions, they were very helpful. I picked up the Winch for somewhere around $700.00 (MileMarker 9500si) through Kolak but again I purchase many components at once (3" exhaust, FIPK, Throttlebody, Maga Flow cat, Flowmaster 50, Superchips programmer) in order to get the best discount possible.

Kevin J. Bentley

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/bentley-project-wj-build-thread-870037/#post8032396"]Bentley Project - Build Thread[/URL]

Last edited by lvum4x4; 01-20-2010 at 12:30 PM..
lvum4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2010, 01:27 PM   #93
sullivanpunk
2000 WJ 

Just think, you almost bought a rhino.........Would of been hella cheaper in the long run but no where near as fun. Great Build!!!
Unread 01-20-2010, 01:56 PM   #94
lvum4x4
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullivanpunk View Post
Just think, you almost bought a rhino.........Would of been hella cheaper in the long run but no where near as fun. Great Build!!!
I have no regrets with my choice; the Jeep has turned out to be one of the funnest projects I have worked on and we enjoy it more and more everytime we take it out. I can say that I am a huge Jeep fan now and have a hard time putting it away since it is not my daily driver.

I am very pleased with its capabilities!

Kevin J. Bentley

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/bentley-project-wj-build-thread-870037/#post8032396"]Bentley Project - Build Thread[/URL]
Unread 01-24-2010, 01:23 AM   #95
Ricochet88
1993 ZJ 

pics from today

R.I.P. TROY EDWARDS "bigbluezj94"
Ricochet88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2010, 01:34 AM   #96
Mark4883
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I LOVE this Jeep. Not only my favorite on the forum, this is the nicest WJ I have ever seen.
Mark4883 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2010, 02:19 AM   #97
Shinobi
2001 WJ 

I want that light bar
Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2010, 01:08 PM   #98
Hopperstien
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet88 View Post
pics from today
What is that, a black bear in the background??
Unread 01-24-2010, 01:37 PM   #99
lvum4x4
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet88 View Post
pics from today

Thanks Rick, I post mine up in the So-Cal section so here are the ones from our camera.

...Good times all around, we need to do that again!

Kevin J. Bentley

Unread 02-11-2010, 04:44 AM   #100
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

wow. how did i miss this one. very nice dub, i love it. pretty and functional. good mix
My Build Thead
Facebook
Senior at The Ohio State University
BLACKzj52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2010, 09:48 PM   #101
lvum4x4
2001 WJ 

I posted this up in the South West - USA section but thought I would post in here as well ...went to the King of the Hammers 2010 in Johnson Valley this weekend. I have lots of pics and a couple of videos. The video quality is about as good as can be expected on a cell phone so please excuse the quality. I have never seen so many awesome rigs in one location, it was simply amazing to watch what these vehicles can do.

Here are some pics... (I like this guys choice of lightbar)

Here are a couple of videos from my cell (not the best quality)

Kevin J. Bentley

Last edited by lvum4x4; 02-15-2010 at 07:43 PM..
Unread 02-14-2010, 10:12 PM   #102
YERFDOG
1998 ZJ 

Such a sick WJ!!! Very Clean!! I was wondering how many inches is your windshield visor? Looks like its about halfway. Any trouble seeing at night?
YERFDOG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2010, 04:15 PM   #103
lvum4x4
2001 WJ 

Time for some Recovery work...

Now that I have had a chance to get out in the snow, I have a new respect for having the right tools at the right time. For anyone that is building their first Jeep, let me be the first to tell you that you should always be well prepared (...and then some) for the worst on the trail. This is going to mean that recovery should be an important part of your game plan.

I learned this the hard way as I got caught trying to help someone in deep snow with flip flops, no gloves and a steel winch cable. This is not the way you want to find out how fun it is working with a 3/8" steel cable in freezing conditions and no gloves. It taught me to be prepared from now on.

First, make sure you have good quality recovery tools (winch, gloves, shackles, snatch block, good recovery points, etc...). It only took me 1 recovery to appreciate the value of good components.

I made sure that I have a good assortment of tree straps, tow straps, shackles and decided I was going to replace my steel cable with a modern synthetic line.

The steel cable is difficult to work with, requires gloves, heavy, extremely dangerous because they stretch (which stores a lot of energy that is capable of severe damage) and a total nightmare to spool. I highly recommend that you think about upgrading if you are using steel. At first, it seemed like a lot of $$ but one encounter with kinked cable, damaged strands or a crossover snap will make you apprectate the value of a good quality synthetic line.

Ok, on to the upgrade. Sorry for all the dirt, I just got back from the desert and dont have time to clean it up. I de-spooled the cable to get ready to install the new AmSteelBlue line. I went with 125 ft. of 3/8" line rated at 19,600 lbs from Winchline.

You will want to install the new line as shown below (with the cross loop taped across the drum).

I loaded the new line with moderate tension (dragged a volkswagen bug with the e-brake on lightly) so I have a nice tight roll. This will ensure that the next time I need it, it will not be such a bear to work with. This stuff is light weight, extremely strong and even floats if you are working around water.

...and here ya go, all done! Now, I have 25% more length, 2x the strength and just dropped over 30 lbs off the front end. I already have a fiberglass bumper so my front end is as light as I can get it.

Here is a pic all cleaned up...

Kevin J. Bentley

Last edited by lvum4x4; 02-15-2010 at 08:56 PM..
Unread 02-15-2010, 05:42 PM   #104
Shinobi
2001 WJ 

you should come to reno u will learn that real quick
Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2010, 06:15 PM   #105
lvum4x4
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinobi View Post
you should come to reno u will learn that real quick
I am learning every day... I was as "green" as you could get as this is my first 4x4 vehicle. I still laugh when I think about how stupid it was to go wheeling in the snow wearing flip flops

...I even have proof! Rick was laughing his a$$ off.

...only in Southern California!

Kevin J. Bentley

Last edited by lvum4x4; 02-15-2010 at 06:33 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.