Bentley Project (WJ) Build Thread - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Bentley Project (WJ) Build Thread

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 10-11-2009, 09:15 AM   #46
tennesseewj
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvum4x4 View Post
I was thinking of some kind of safety lanyard in case the clips broke or something like that. I never really thought much about theft as they could steel either plate with a phillips screwdriver if they wanted them that badly? It sucks to think there really are people out there like that so I just try to not think about it.
Some idiot actually tried to steal the plate off the back of my Jeep with no screwdriver. Actually pulled hard enough to pop one of the screws out. The plate was all bent to hell and back. Luckily he was too stupid to remember his screwdriver or I'm sure it would have been a huge hassle for me

Originally Posted by Sporer65 View Post
You need to learn, there are 3 things that all JF members must like beside Jeeps:
(1) Guns (2) Women (3) Bacon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
I was bored so I forded the river. No oxen were lost.
tennesseewj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 04:33 AM   #47
lvum4x4

2001 WJ 

Well, another weekend down and I can take another item off the to-do list... I finally wired up the lightbar. If you are like me, you may not feel comfortable about drilling a hole through your roof so I wanted to try and keep things as clean as possible and still feel good about water protection. I really didnt know where I was going to start so I dropped the headliner and once I got in there and could see the inside, a strategy began to form.

There is already a hole in the sunroof housing so I decided to use it. I originally wanted to try and comletely hide the wiring but it seemed to be much more convenient to utilize the existing hole. The problem was that it lined up just in front of the roof rack mount so now I needed to make sure it was not going to leak.

I drilled a hole from the bottom, up through the top using the existing hole as a guide. Of course, I started with smaller bits and worked my way up to the size I eventually wanted. You are going to have to plan your insulation strategy before you start drilling and in my case, I decided to use a heater hose that best matched the inside/outside diameters I needed.

Now, you need to pop off the top front cover for the roof rack and trim the two supports so you can drill a hole as marked below.

Once I had the holes all lined up and sized properly, I fed the heater hose up through the roof. Once you have everything in place, I pulled it up about an inch so I could seal it with RTV and spun the hose as I pulled it back down into the hole (in the hopes it would pull the RTV down into the hole and seal it well).

Now, I fed the lightbar cord down through the hose. You will have to carefully remove the connectors from the junction so they will pass down through the hose.

Ok, so now on to the wiring. There is plenty of room up above the headliner but choose your locations carefully. You dont want to be in the process of trying to mount up the headliner and find you are hitting something. I was carefull and everything went up fine the first time so take your time and think things through before you start wiring things up. I secured all my wires with zip ties and made sure there were no opportunities for shorts by having any sharp edges that could cut the wires.

I decided to run my power down the drivers side of the windshield column. Again, there is plenty of room as long as you are neat and pay attention to the location for all the clips.

I have an extra pair of wires in here for my strobes so I wont have to drop the headliner again when I wire them up. I installed a second switch for them since I was already in there.

Switch location is all about preference and for some reason I wanted to have it up in the console so I chose to install it just behind the sunroof switch. It was not the cleanest installation and I played with a couple of different types of switches but ultimately ended up with a flat rocker-style that lights up when the lightbar is on. I used a roto-zip to carefully clear the spot for the switch but be carefull as one wrong move and you can damage your console.

...and here is the finished product. As with everything, things could be done better but it is nice and clean and I am happy with it. The lightbar is a wonderful product, I highly recommend it. I had my first opportunity to light it up on a dark road and oh my, was it bright. It exceeded all my expectations 10 fold. It is a VERY nice setup. With it mounted where it is, I can actually open the sunroof and aim the light anywhere I want including behind me so that was just an added bonus.

Kevin J. Bentley

Bentley Project - Build Thread

Last edited by lvum4x4; 10-13-2009 at 09:23 AM..
lvum4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 07:58 AM   #48
indredsnake99
1998 ZJ 

so where are the pics of it in action
2007 sahara 2 door wrangler stock bought 02/08/2011

Western Mass 4x4 KEVIN'S OFF ROAD IRON ROCK OFFROAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJones View Post
You'll learn a lot. I didn't know anything when I first joined this site either. (not sure if that's changed at all :laugh:)
indredsnake99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 08:20 AM   #49
nwiTJdave

awesome job on the build! sharp lookin WJ

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 08:47 AM   #50
lvum4x4

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by indredsnake99 View Post

Coming soon, the thing has just sat in my driveway for the last 8 weeks or so while I am working on it. I am pretty much done and hope to take it out on its first adventure this weekend. I will be sure to post up some real pics as soon as I can get it in the dirt.

Kevin J. Bentley

Unread 10-12-2009, 09:51 AM   #51
Ricochet88
1993 ZJ 

hey kevin are you coming with us up to cleghorn?

R.I.P. TROY EDWARDS "bigbluezj94"
Ricochet88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 09:52 AM   #52
lvum4x4

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricochet88 View Post
hey kevin are you coming with us up to cleghorn?
I am planning on making it my debut run... Cant wait to meet some forum guys too! I actually drove it in to work today... Love that Jeep. Now I just hope the drive-line will hang in there while I try to recouperate from the build. Jeep drives real nice and sounds great.

Kevin J. Bentley

Unread 10-12-2009, 09:55 AM   #53
Ricochet88
1993 ZJ 

sweet heres the thread so if theres any changes http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f161/...r-17th-875717/

R.I.P. TROY EDWARDS "bigbluezj94"
Ricochet88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2009, 02:34 AM   #54
theksmith
2003 WJ 

looking good, nice to see some unique touches!
theksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2009, 04:06 AM   #55
sadass
5.9,242,4.56,Aussies x 2

1998 ZJ 

You have done an Awesome Job, Safe to say It is one of my Favorite WJ's on the forum!
That is some budget you have there!
sadass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2009, 09:18 AM   #56
lvum4x4

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadass View Post
You have done an Awesome Job, Safe to say It is one of my Favorite WJ's on the forum!
That is some budget you have there!
Thanks but this turned out to be three different budgets since I went "considerably over-budget" 2 times but just couldnt leave it unfinished...(OCD) I wanted to try and get as much done as I could for the initial build, then move on to the little things down the road. It seemed like the more I invested, the more I needed to invest? At least everything is done except the drive-train, hopefully it will hold together for a little while so I can recover...

All in all, I am very happy. The Jeep drives wonderfully and is a little unique for this part of town. I am definately a Jeep lover now.... (this was my first Jeep)

Kevin J. Bentley

Unread 10-17-2009, 05:40 PM   #57
lvum4x4

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by indredsnake99 View Post
Ask, and you shall receive...

Kevin J. Bentley

Last edited by lvum4x4; 10-18-2009 at 11:34 AM..
Unread 10-17-2009, 05:53 PM   #58
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Looks like fun but just an FYI, where you CB radio antenna is mounted, it is more prone to being ripped off. It is safer if you put it facing back on top of the light.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2009, 08:10 PM   #59
lvum4x4

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
Looks like fun but just an FYI, where you CB radio antenna is mounted, it is more prone to being ripped off. It is safer if you put it facing back on top of the light.
Thanks, I agree. I just put it in the easiest place to get a solid ground and tried to keep it below the lightbar line. It worked great, they are a must have...

Kevin J. Bentley

Unread 10-17-2009, 08:51 PM   #60
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Yep, I agree. I broke mine 2 twice last wheeling. Lucky the guy leading our trail is what we call a "cb whisper-er." He had all the parks on him to fix mine and then tuned it. After we got done and I was at home, he told me to try it and see if he could hear me where he lived. Heard him loud and clear and he lives about 30 miles from me. So cool.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.