bedline the wheel wells? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > bedline the wheel wells?

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 02-24-2010, 09:30 PM   #1
jeffp2152
1998 XJ Cherokee 

bedline the wheel wells?

I was wondering if anyone on here had bedlined their wheel wells on a zj? I have a 93, light grey with darker trim and bumpers. I had some damage on both of the rear wheel wells that was taken care of with bondo, but is just primered now.

I was thinking of buying one of the roll on bedliner kits, taping off only the wheel wells, sanding, priming, and bedlining. But I'm not sure if it would look good or not. I like the look of fender flares, but I'm not sure how this would look on my jeep.

jeffp2152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
Spike300
1993 ZJ 

Are you talkin bout the inside or the outside? If the inside ur talkin bout take a look at my build thread. I got pictures of that. The Camo Beast. Theyre more fuction over form bout lots a people seem to like it.

5.2-242 tcase-44a-30x9.50x15 MT/R-American Racing Burst Rims -[COLOR="Red"]Optima[/COLOR] -E3 plugs-[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Cu[/COLOR]st[COLOR="DarkGreen"]om[/COLOR] Pa[COLOR="DarkGreen"]in[/COLOR]t-Amsoil-Addco Front and Rear-polyurethane bushings

[B]To be installed[/B]: RE gen2 discos, military battery terminals
[B]To be rebuilt:[/B] HP30
[B]To be received:[/B]
[B]To be paid for:[/B]

[B]Next on the list:[/B] complete redo of brakes and
lines
[B]Needed:[/B] fittings, coil of brake tubing, Russel speed bleeders

Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #75
Spike300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 10:13 PM   #3
98BlackZJ
1998 ZJ 

and if you're talking about the outside here is a pic of mine with the cladding area and fenders bedlined
98BlackZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 10:43 PM   #4
teamgreen666
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep-ZJ 97 What bedliner did u use and how has it been holding up in the sun,ect?
teamgreen666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 10:58 PM   #5
OvenMits
1997 ZJ 

I used the rustleoum bedliner spray can from walmart for the inside of the wheel well thing n it worked very good. just clean it first!!! n its going look sweet =P n paint the plastic covers too and it sticks. i had mine for 3 months n its still clean =PO
OvenMits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 05:48 AM   #6
98BlackZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgreen666 View Post
Jeep-ZJ 97 What bedliner did u use and how has it been holding up in the sun,ect?
I used the duplicolor roll on kit from either advanced or autozone. That picture is right after I finished so its not as shiny now. The only problem I have had as far as durability is that I started peeling the tape off before it was completely dry. There are a few chipped spots along the top edge because of that, I went along the rest of the edge with a razor and that part is fine.
98BlackZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 08:05 AM   #7
melk
1996 ZJ 

I have used the rustoleum spray can from walmart on my zj's bumpers, sides and grille and am very happy with the result.

I've seen a similar product the the local autopart stores that is labeled Undercoat (vs Bedliner) and I'll be trying that inside my wheel wells to see how it compares.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 08:05 AM   #8
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

The only problem I've heard of is that it's hard to clean. the dirt will get in all the valleys and divots etc and difficult to get out. However, I want to do this too.

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
LordHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 11:42 AM   #9
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Duplicolor Bumper Coating....
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 11:57 AM   #10
CLNinja
1993 ZJ 

my ZJ

fenders, cladding, center of hood and roof = Herculiner Bedliner

the rest of the Jeep = Rustoleum spray on bed liner

[color="#003300"]Matt[/COLOR]
[color="white"][CENTER][size="1"]
[url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434081"][color="white"]Click Here For My Build Thread[/COLOR][/url]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][B]**September 2009 Grand Cherokee Of The Month**[/B]
[SIZE="2"][url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123"][color="white"]Colorado Jeep Club Member #88[/COLOR][/url][/SIZE][/CENTER]
CLNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 04:04 PM   #11
Mike97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHobbit View Post
The only problem I've heard of is that it's hard to clean. the dirt will get in all the valleys and divots etc and difficult to get out. However, I want to do this too.
This is why I don't understand why people do this.

I did just my rockers a few months back with the Duplicolor stuff, and while the rain has washed all the rest of the mud off my Jeep, there are still big clumps of it stuck to the rockers. I can't imangine the whole Jeep, or even just all the cladding, being like that.

And form over function...what's the function? To hold on mud?

I can see using it to cover less than perfect body work (which is why I did my rockers) but I don't see the appeal of doing anything else with it.

I say bumper coating or Krylon Fusion FTW. I did my bumpers and cladding years ago with Duplicolor bumper coating, and it came out GREAT, and has held up very well. And it's easy to wash, just like stock. No tearing up sponges on a rough texture.

For INSIDE the wheelwells though, I'd go with a undercoating. I actually might try that when the weather gets warmer, maybe it'll cut down road noise a bit. I see the 'rubberized undercoating' at NAPA, I'll probably give that a shot.
Mike97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 04:13 PM   #12
Spike300
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike97ZJ View Post
This is why I don't understand why people do this.

I did just my rockers a few months back with the Duplicolor stuff, and while the rain has washed all the rest of the mud off my Jeep, there are still big clumps of it stuck to the rockers. I can't imangine the whole Jeep, or even just all the cladding, being like that.

And form over function...what's the function? To hold on mud?

I can see using it to cover less than perfect body work (which is why I did my rockers) but I don't see the appeal of doing anything else with it.

I say bumper coating or Krylon Fusion FTW. I did my bumpers and cladding years ago with Duplicolor bumper coating, and it came out GREAT, and has held up very well. And it's easy to wash, just like stock. No tearing up sponges on a rough texture.

For INSIDE the wheelwells though, I'd go with a undercoating. I actually might try that when the weather gets warmer, maybe it'll cut down road noise a bit. I see the 'rubberized undercoating' at NAPA, I'll probably give that a shot.
The fuction is for protection from corrosion. I undercoated the inside of the wheel wells, I used Duplicolor Professional Undercoating

5.2-242 tcase-44a-30x9.50x15 MT/R-American Racing Burst Rims -[COLOR="Red"]Optima[/COLOR] -E3 plugs-[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Cu[/COLOR]st[COLOR="DarkGreen"]om[/COLOR] Pa[COLOR="DarkGreen"]in[/COLOR]t-Amsoil-Addco Front and Rear-polyurethane bushings

lines

Unread 02-25-2010, 05:29 PM   #13
Mike97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike300 View Post
The fuction is for protection from corrosion. I undercoated the inside of the wheel wells, I used Duplicolor Professional Undercoating
Yeah, I can see that, it's also part of the reason I did my rockers. But plastic cladding doesn't corrode, and that's what I was mainly talking about.
Mike97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 06:36 PM   #14
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

I've used duplicolor bedliner spray on my jeep hood nose, sideview mirrors, and custom rockers. Check out my build thread to see all about it, plus pics. I've been happy wiht the outcome.

98 ZJ 5.2L JGC Limited Sold
02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
ZJPunk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 07:35 PM   #15
Spike300
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike97ZJ View Post
Yeah, I can see that, it's also part of the reason I did my rockers. But plastic cladding doesn't corrode, and that's what I was mainly talking about.
ok then little miscommunication. If i would do anything on the ot side i would use some type of bedliner product for the durability

lines

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.