Bama_WJ's Build Thread - Page 92 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Bama_WJ's Build Thread

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Steinjäger photo contest!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 12-30-2013, 11:10 PM   #1366
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonyJohn View Post
Props on how patient you are with this build. Ive been through now my third jeep in the time youve had yours..

Thanks man. I got this image of what I want in my head and I'm determined to make it happen some how or another!

Some more goodies...

New Nitro 4340 12" stub shafts:

Nice rebuild kit for the 42RE:

I got the kit off eBay. You can find it here.

Shift kit for the 42RE:

And while I have the gear shift assembly out of the WJ to fit the Atlas shifters, I decided to fix a couple things.

Added some LED strips (found here) to replace the not-working electroluminescent piece that was there originally. Then I topped it off with a new shifter plate to replace my broken one. The only 4x4 WJ in the whole junkyard was a QD, so that's what I had to get.

The LED's look great. They make all my other instrument lighting look like crap.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 09:45 AM   #1367
BasuraBlanco

2002 WJ 

Holy Crap, that is an awesome build. Just went through every post.
BasuraBlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 04:19 PM   #1368
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Glad to see you still got your Wj Bama!
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 04:37 PM   #1369
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasuraBlanco View Post
Holy Crap, that is an awesome build. Just went through every post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJoshxx View Post
Glad to see you still got your Wj Bama!
Thanks guys!

In other news, the Atlas is in!

Now that I actually have it hanging on the WJ I can fit up the twin sticks. I started working on the shifters and I'm about 75% done right now. It's coming along!

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 12-31-2013, 04:53 PM   #1370
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_WJ View Post

Thanks guys!

In other news, the Atlas is in!

Now that I actually have it hanging on the WJ I can fit up the twin sticks. I started working on the shifters and I'm about 75% done right now. It's coming along!
Beautiful
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 05:12 PM   #1371
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
Beautiful
Appreciate it man.

I want to poll some of you guys. I called up the place that I'm wanting to send my transmission to for a rebuild this morning. For a complete tear down, wash/clean/paint the transmission, full rebuild and a new torque converter would run me a hair under $1500 for basically a brand new transmission. And that is with me supplying the stuff I already have. Does this sound reasonable? I've never had to have any transmission work done to anything I own.

The place has a A+ BBB rating, tons of good reviews and the owner that I talked to actually knew what he was talking about and sounded like a cool guy. Even if it's a little more cash, I'd be more inclined to give them my business for those reasons.

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 01-14-2014, 06:38 PM   #1372
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Is that with them removing and installing the trans?
Unread 01-14-2014, 06:52 PM   #1373
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSWJ View Post
Is that with them removing and installing the trans?
No. That's with me taking that spare trans I got from you to them and then them giving it back to me.

I also forgot to mention they provide a warranty on the transmission.

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 01-14-2014, 07:22 PM   #1374
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

What parts are they installing? Just a rebuild kit and shift kit?

That seems ridiculously high to me. For a normal stock rebuild on a vehicle like the wj, I charge 1500-1800. Thats removing, rebuilding (including me buying the parts), and re-installing the trans. It also comes with a 12 month/12000 mile warranty.
Unread 01-14-2014, 07:58 PM   #1375
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
What parts are they installing? Just a rebuild kit and shift kit?

That seems ridiculously high to me. For a normal stock rebuild on a vehicle like the wj, I charge 1500-1800. Thats removing, rebuilding (including me buying the parts), and re-installing the trans. It also comes with a 12 month/12000 mile warranty.
Just installing the rebuild kit (I posted a link to it in the post with the picture of it), the shift kit and the torque converter. Along with washing/cleaning it and dyno-ing it once it's put together to make sure it works right.

Seemed a bit high to me, too. I had 600-700 in mind when I called.

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 01-14-2014, 08:33 PM   #1376
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Yeah that's all I thought you were doing, just making sure I didn't miss anything. I would make sure you and the shop are on the same page. Are they replacing all the solenoids and sensors as well?

I'd get a couple different estimate before making a choice. Make sure you right down what each shop plans to do to the trans, and what their "rebuild" consist of.
Unread 01-14-2014, 09:31 PM   #1377
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Yeah that's all I thought you were doing, just making sure I didn't miss anything. I would make sure you and the shop are on the same page. Are they replacing all the solenoids and sensors as well?

I'd get a couple different estimate before making a choice. Make sure you right down what each shop plans to do to the trans, and what their "rebuild" consist of.
I kind of thought the same thing...me and the shop not being on the same page. I don't know if they really caught on with the fact I'm going to literally hand them the transmission. There is no transmission removal or installation required.

There are a couple other shops that I'm going to get a hold of this week and see what they say. I'm glad Chattanooga has a good selection of them (with good BBB ratings to boot). Glad I'm in no rush to get this transmission done.

Don't know about them replacing electionics. I figured they would take out whatever electionics that were in there when they cleaned the transmission housing then reinstall them. Anyway, I just bought a new governor pressure solenoid and pressure sensor. Hopefully the Borg Warner upgrade solenoid is worth it...

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 01-15-2014, 08:24 AM   #1378
NOVAXJ

2002 WJ 

Is the tube on the front of the atlas there to check the fluid condition? Or does it serve some other purpose, if it is a sightglass type thing then thats really handy haha. Excuse me lack of knowledge on the atlas tcase, I chose not to research it because once I do Ill want it and Im sure I cant afford it haha.
NOVAXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 02:18 PM   #1379
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAXJ View Post
Is the tube on the front of the atlas there to check the fluid condition? Or does it serve some other purpose, if it is a sightglass type thing then thats really handy haha. Excuse me lack of knowledge on the atlas tcase, I chose not to research it because once I do Ill want it and Im sure I cant afford it haha.
All good man. It could be used for both those reasons. It's mainly used to see the level of the fluid inside the case.

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 01-17-2014, 04:08 PM   #1380
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

It is great to see that you are still making progress on this beast, it is a great build!

I think the rebuild price is too high, unless they are replacing all of the other switches (basically building a brand new trans minus the casting). Taking parts to them and the trans already out, I would assume 4-5 hours labor tops...If they aren't adding any additional parts, I don't see how this could cost anywhere north of $500 ($100 per hour).
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.