Bama_WJ's Build Thread - Page 88 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Bama_WJ's Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 05-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #1306
CRJEeP_wj
2002 WJ 

Looks clean! I like it. How did you re-secure your headlights were the lower mount was?

Unread 05-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #1307
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Believe it or not, the header panel stays put pretty good even with those lower mounts gone. All I did was drill a hole and add one zip tie to each side of the header panel to secure it a little better. Once the headlight is in there, it's pretty solid. It definitely helps that everything is mounted from the top for the most part.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #1308
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

wow, I really like that! I was kinda wondering how it was going to turn out, but its looks damn good! I might have to steal that from you when I decide to tackle my front trim.

If you have any questions about the rear trim, I did a small writeup a while back http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...iteup-1412915/

What are you running for a lift right now, a bb? With that trim it looks like you could fit some 33's.
Unread 05-19-2013, 07:24 PM   #1309
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSWJ View Post
wow, I really like that! I was kinda wondering how it was going to turn out, but its looks damn good! I might have to steal that from you when I decide to tackle my front trim.

If you have any questions about the rear trim, I did a small writeup a while back http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...iteup-1412915/

What are you running for a lift right now, a bb? With that trim it looks like you could fit some 33's.
Appreciate it man.

I remember you doing that write up and I plan on rereading it a time or two before I trim the rear. I just have to decide how much I really want to take out.

But yea, just running a 2.5" BB right now. If I had some control arms to move the axle a bit more forward, I could definitely use some 33s. Maybe I can find someone with a JK around me that will let me test fit some for the fun of it. I'll have to get a shot of one of the 37s next to it now.

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 05-20-2013, 05:54 AM   #1310
Allgood_73
No Compromises

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looks great man! What front bumper are you planning on running... same one or a new high / tight one for more clearance? Good work with the trimming.

My Build Thread

Wheeling Trips

My Items For Sale

Thank you to all who voted me the July 2011 TJ of the Month AND July 2012 TJ of the Month!!!

Built Not Bought... pshh... how about, Wheeled Not Garaged.

An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

Buyers / Sellers To Avoid: sidetracked
Allgood_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #1311
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Thanks Dustin.

As for the bumper, I'm planning on a tucked in and simplistic tube bumper being made for it. Kind of like how your rear tube bumper is. I'd also like to have a winch that is tucked in between the "frame" rails for the best approach angle. I know I posted a picture of an idea I had for the front bumper somewhere in my build thread.

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 05-28-2013, 12:42 AM   #1312
theksmith
2003 WJ 

dang, you trimmed the ****e out of the front! very clean arc on the fenders though, nice!
theksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 03:14 PM   #1313
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Thanks man.

Yea, I may have taken a little more off than I originally anticipated. But with it all said and done, I like how it came out.

Right now I'm contemplating if I want to cut into the cabin to make the rear even with the bottom of the tail light. Trying to figure out what I'm going to do with the rear bumper area and how I'm going to seal it up.

Side note: Even after the little bit of cutting I did on the front, I kind of get how some people can go crazy with doing away with stock sheet metal. Like people on Pirate who start out with a XJ and 10 pages later the only thing "XJ" left is the dash, part of the frame and the hood. Not saying I would do it...but I kind of get it now. It's somewhat addictive.

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 05-31-2013, 10:31 PM   #1314
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Came real close to starting on the rear trimming this afternoon. Still unsure on if I want to go into the cabin or not. Maybe I should just start cutting and figure out what I'm going to do next afterwards kind of like I did on the front.

Though I have seen some things I'd like to recreate. What I've been thinking is maybe a combo between AP's tube sides and this other guys boxed center. Box steel in between the frame rails (for shackle mounts and maybe some flush mount Rigid LED's) and tubing on the sides for 'some' protection.

Also found something I'd really like to do on the front. Maybe do the side tubing a bit different. This will also allow me to suck the winch into the grille.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
..then started on the front bumper. It's a 100% weld-in, non-removable pile of tube and metal plate.

First extended and strengthened the front horn some (2" x 4" box steel, 3/16" wall):

..add a tube in between:

Then started on the new radiator support/ crossbar thingy:

..add some more tube..

..and it's done:

..well, it's not entirely done. I need to add a winchplate on top, and also something to protect the lower part of the A/C condenser and radiator. It's pretty easily damaged that way
I've also been trying to figure out a way to mount this 37" tire on the back. I was thinking if I go ahead with this hybrid cage, have a tube come down on one side and tie into the tube on the side of the bumper. Weld on 4 tabs to use some hiems/JJs for the swing out. Then attach some sort of latch on the box steel center of the rear bumper.

Primitive drawing of what is kind of going through my head right now...

Thoughts?

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 05-31-2013, 10:41 PM   #1315
KrazedKustumz

Looking GOOD
KrazedKustumz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #1316
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Got started on the rear driver fender this afternoon. I hate this inner and outer body panel crap. I was planning on riveting stuff together, but looks like I'm going to have to get it welded now. I guess I took to much metal off with the flap wheel and some of the outer panels came off. Part of me just wants to just fill it with silicone and be done with it.

Here's some pictures:

From the outside it looks decent, but if you look in there it looks kind of crappy.

What do I need to do different on the other side?

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 06-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #1317
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_WJ View Post
Got started on the rear driver fender this afternoon. I hate this inner and outer body panel crap. I was planning on riveting stuff together, but looks like I'm going to have to get it welded now. I guess I took to much metal off with the flap wheel and some of the outer panels came off. Part of me just wants to just fill it with silicone and be done with it.

Here's some pictures:

From the outside it looks decent, but if you look in there it looks kind of crappy.

What do I need to do different on the other side?
With that amount i would just fill it with silicon, smooth it with your finger and be done. Its looking really good man.
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #1318
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

As far as the swing out,

I like that Idea a lot! I think it would look great tied into the exo cage. Another idea I always liked was the look of a fold down carrier that puts the tire in a sort of "cage" but that would be a lot of work to muscle up and down.

As for the fenders,

Get yourself a pair of duckbill pliers (vise grip style is what I used) that way you can make the tabs across the top a lot longer and get a straighter line. Just make the tabs as wide as the plier bills.

As far as the flaps, I wouldnt worry to much about them. But dont use silicone, at the minimum use panel adheasive. You should be able to lay that stuff on thick enough to give you a completely smooth (or close to it) edge. Plus, it's made to bond panels, which will save you from having to weld it, although a couple tack welds here and there wouldnt hurt either. The stuff isnt exactly cheap, but its definitly the way to go. I would see if you can buy a kit locally that includes the gun, and the cartridge that mixes them as you squeeze it.

Also, dont be scared to take the bfh to the lip on the far back where the bumper would go. I beat the guts out of that to take away the sharp edges. I think I only had to make one or two cuts to get it all to fold down nicely.
Unread 06-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #1319
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Thanks for the advice TJ. Right now I think I'm going to have someone weld it up for me. Just do it right the first time. There is a guy that is doing my buddy's cage in his YJ and from the looks of it he does pretty nice work. Charges very good prices, but has a long turn around since he works a lot. I figured if he was going to weld up the fenders, why not have him do up the bumpers and put me in a new radiator support while he has it. I'm about to send him a message to see what we might be able to work out.

Then when I get it back, I can smooth out everything with some adhesive. I remember seeing SaturnICL say duct sealant worked well, too.

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 06-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #1320
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_WJ View Post

Then when I get it back, I can smooth out everything with some adhesive. I remember seeing SaturnICL say duct sealant worked well, too.
That's what I used on mine. Tough to get smooth if that's what you're looking for, I didn't care, its an inner fender. I just wanted something to seal up the seam that i could spray black. Takes a day or two to cure too so take that into account as well.

Its sandable and paintable too which is nice.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.