Bama_WJ's Build Thread - Page 86 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Bama_WJ's Build Thread

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 01-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #1276
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

I think I have some toolman tendencies.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 11:59 PM   #1277
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Kind of been getting the gears in my head going on how I want to eliminate the radiator support.

Found the perfect radiator I think:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gr...x/media/images

Only thing I'm having a hard time trying to figure out is the AC condenser. It obviously hangs down to the radiator support along with the radiator. Been looking for a universal one, but I've seen a few folks swap in a condenser from an XJ. The XJ condenser would work great though since it's not very tall. I would also take the time to install a stand alone trans cooler.

Also, on the trans that intend to rebuild, what's yalls thoughts on throwing a new/upgraded torque converter in there?

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 02-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #1278
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Why not just run a XJ radiator, as well as condenser? That way if either or breaks, they are available at any local parts store. It would suck to blow a radiator and be stuck until a new one came in the mail.

As far as the torque converter goes:
A new converter needs to be done with any trans rebuild, so I would get one for sure. As far as an upgraded one goes, unless you can find one with a little lower stall than stock, I dont see the need. Most people replace the tc in favor of a higher stall speed, that allows them to launch off the line already in the vehicles power band. I would assume though that when it comes to rock crawling, your not going to be launching lol. When crawling your going to want a low stall speed so that the converter starts working immediately. At least this is all my understanding. I would just stick with a good quality stock replacement.
Unread 02-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #1279
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

The XJ stuff is really wide compared to the WJ stuff. Not to mention a new aluminum radiator is not much more than a new XJ radiator. I figure if I haven't busted one yet, I'll be good especially with a new radiator tucked up into the engine bay.

Good to know about the torque converter. I've been eyeing a Hughes Performance one on Summit (shown here) that is setup for towing and low end torque, but its like $420. I'll probably just end up with a stock replacement.

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 04-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #1280
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Well, I'm finally pretty much settled in my new house. I've been working on the garage just about every weekend since mid-February to get it up to par. And for the most part, I've got the garage the way I want it.

And here is the spare transmission I got from TJ.

Spent some time getting it a little cleaned up with a wire wheel. Needs a little more work, but for the most part, its pretty clean.

Plan on getting it rebuilt and throwing it under my WJ at some point. Cascade Transmission Parts has some nice parts I've been keeping my eye on:

42/44RE Governor Solenoid HD

3-4 Accumulator Spring

42RE/44RE Shift Correction Kit 99 Up

Might add some of those to the rebuild kit I linked to in the previous page.

Other thing I'm wanting to do:

- Delete ABS block under the hood
- Maybe install my hood louvers (haven't had any overheating problems since selling my KMA bumper though)
- Replace all the gas shock lift supports on the WJ
- Replace the door check/stop on the front driver door since its broke
- Replace rear main seal (that will probably happen when I swap the trans)

Really just some maintenance stuff needs to happen now. No real fun updates for a while though. Been paycheck to paycheck here lately...it sucks. If it ain't one thing, it's another in my financial department.

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 04-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #1281
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Trans cleaned up real well! I figured the abs delete would happen with the axle swap. Thats the plan for mine, ill just run an adjustable prop valve instead.
Unread 04-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #1282
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Yea, it wasn't bad. The parts that still need work pretty much have to be done by hand with a wire brush since the wire wheel won't get to the tight spots. Maybe I can bring it over to the pressure washer with some engine degreaser and get all the grime off of it.

The ABS block delete seems pretty easy. Cut and reflare the lines coming out of the block, add the prop valve and reconnect some lines. Done. Then I have to pull ABS bulb out of the dash.

I also forgot to mention I want to do the vent mod on my spare 42RE. If anyone else interested in this, here is a link to the mod for the A500 series transmission:

TF999 Breather Vent Relocate How-To Write up

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 04-19-2013, 08:48 PM   #1283
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

If anyone is interested, I just posted a how-to on the 42RE vent mod. It's over in the engine/drivetrain tech section.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/h...ation-1511764/

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 04-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #1284
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Got a little something done this weekend.

Finally drove in the new bearing races and new lug studs:

Also got my rear caliper brackets tore down so I can install new brake shields at some point. As you can see, the original ones were beat to hell:

Taking another look under the hood, looks like I'm going to have to relocate the A/C drier along with deleting the ABS block since coilovers are going into the engine bay. Figured I can just get some custom A/C hoses made and move it pretty easily.

And figured while I was at it, see if I can rip out that evap box. I would like to move my ZJ washer bottle up there. Anyone done that without throwing a code? I've searched around and haven't really come up with anything.

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 04-29-2013, 05:56 AM   #1285
Allgood_73
No Compromises

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Good to see you back at it now that you're settled into the new house. Can't wait to see this come along, good luck man.

My Build Thread

Wheeling Trips

My Items For Sale

Thank you to all who voted me the July 2011 TJ of the Month AND July 2012 TJ of the Month!!!

Built Not Bought... pshh... how about, Wheeled Not Garaged.

An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

Buyers / Sellers To Avoid: sidetracked
Allgood_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #1286
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Appreciate it Dustin. It's definitely nice to get out in the garage even if it's only tinkering with little things.

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:45 AM   #1287
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

A buddy of mine deleted his charcoal canister, but doesnt really go into much detail in his build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/t...41/index6.html It looks like he just took the line that went from the tank to the canister and hooked it directly to the vent valve. Since the evap pressure sensor in located on the tank, the pcm wont know the difference as now instead of a canister, its just a hose. The only issue I see that might pop up is that during evap purge the pcm will be looking for a change in a/f ratio throught the o2 sensors. If it doesnt see a change (since there is no more stored fuel vapors) it might throw a flow/leak code. Only time will tell though, depends how sensitive the pcm is. Hopefully that makes sense?
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #1288
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

The pictures in that thread are the evap charcoal canister and related valves.

The a/c drier under the hood, I can't remember if its in the same-ish location as a 4.7, but its on the passenger side near the shock bolt. They are completely different. Taking out the evap canister may cause weird tank/line pressures cuz the fuel vapors can't be stored.

The a/c drier acts as a filter as well. Takes out contamination in the system. You may be able to find a condenser that has a built in receiver/dryer like most hondas.
Unread 05-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #1289
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_WJ View Post
Got a little something done this weekend.

And figured while I was at it, see if I can rip out that evap box. I would like to move my ZJ washer bottle up there. Anyone done that without throwing a code? I've searched around and haven't really come up with anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmarc View Post
Thats what he was looking for. Some wj's have the evap charcoal canister under the hood next to the master cylinder (IIRC 99-01). It makes it a pain to put a zj bottle in without a modified or aftermarket air intake.

Daniel dont you have a k&n intake?
Unread 05-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #1290
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmarc View Post

The a/c drier under the hood, I can't remember if its in the same-ish location as a 4.7, but its on the passenger side near the shock bolt. They are completely different. Taking out the evap canister may cause weird tank/line pressures cuz the fuel vapors can't be stored.

The a/c drier acts as a filter as well. Takes out contamination in the system. You may be able to find a condenser that has a built in receiver/dryer like most hondas.
Yea, the drier is in the same place on my I6. Basically right in the way of where a coilover would be. I noticed it had some sort of electrical sensor on top of it, so I figured I would just relocate it. But if I could get a combo type condenser, that would be awesome. Hopefully smaller than a stock one so I can chop off the radiator support.

About the evap, I knew it would be kind of iffy, but figured I'd ask if anyone had any insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSWJ View Post
Thats what he was looking for. Some wj's have the evap charcoal canister under the hood next to the master cylinder (IIRC 99-01). It makes it a pain to put a zj bottle in without a modified or aftermarket air intake.

Daniel dont you have a k&n intake?
My evap is under the hood. I was running a K&N pretty much since I got the Jeep. Then I reinstalled the stock box because I was tired of cleaning a filthy filter all the time. But when I did the washer bottle swap I had to switch back over to the K&N in order for the bottle to fit. Even then, it barely fits. That's kind of why I wanted to get rid of the evap. Then I can move my washer bottle up there.

North Alabama Jeep

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.