Bama_WJ's Build Thread - Page 84 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Bama_WJ's Build Thread

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 11-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #1246
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

So I took my S10.5 hubs to a axle place to get taken out since I apparently needed a press to get them out. This is how I get them back...

I'm guessing grinding these lands down is the only way to get the bearing races to sit flush.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #1247
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

You gave them your hubs you have them press the races out, and you got em back done, but with that marring on the bearing race surface? That sucks, I'm sorry. They probably used a punch and hammered it out which is what I do in my garage, but even then I am way more meticulous than that.

Thankfully, as you expected just flatten out the burrs to match the rest of the race and nothing will be worse for the wear. Just unfortunate they didn't even square it away for you.

For future reference, you should be able to pop those races out with a hammer and punch as I described. A brass punch/drift is nice because it can't marr the race if your reusing, but I do it with punches semi regularly. Install new races with a hammer and block of wood, or that brass drift. Keeping it square as you drive it in is key to making life easy
Build Thread: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=7387
AgitatedPancake's Youtube Channel
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #1248
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Yea, I took it to them assuming they had a press. I guess I assumed wrong. Definitely looks like he just took a hammer and chisel to it (or air hammer chisel). Now I'm wishing I had taken them to a Ford dealership where I know they have the exact tool to press these things out with.

But I guess I'll go find something to grind these things down with. I plan on putting the races in the freezer and heating the hub with a torch. Hopefully they will just slide right in.

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 11-17-2012, 11:27 PM   #1249
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

I worked on the hubs for a good portion of the day today. It was easier than I thought with a dremel and grinding stone. I got all the high spots down and used some Brillo pad type attachments to really clean the inside of the hubs since they were caked with shavings, oil and dirt. Going to throw some black paint on them and they should be ready for lug studs, seals and wheel bearings.

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 11-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #1250
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Got the hubs ready for new hardware. Here are a few after pictures to compare to the one posted above. They turned out great and look good with the fresh black paint...

Also just got done placing an order with RockAuto for the new inner/outer bearing, inner/outer bearing race, spindle nut, hub seal and axle shaft o-ring for each side of the S10.5. Just more things crossed off the list...

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 11-21-2012, 11:20 PM   #1251
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Decided to get in on the holiday deals and I threw down on this from ECGS:

Included are Ford (11.4") 4340 35 spline stub shafts, new Spicer u-joints and [removable] drive slugs. Just need the unit bearing eliminator and I'll be set...

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 11-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #1252
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Got my shipment from ECGS today. Looks soo much beefier in person than in the picture. I'll have to get a picture of everything once I can get some sunlight. The drive slug caps look awesome. Sucks leaving for work in the dark and getting home in the dark!

Only problem is they only gave me one stub shaft instead of two. I've heard they got awesome customer service, so I'll give them a call in the AM and see what we can work out. I'm sure it's been a mad house over there with the Thanksgiving/Black Friday orders. No worries!

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 11-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #1253
cherokeekid58
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Huh i just took apart my grandfathers 10.25 to replace a seal and i pulled the bearings out by hand. Did the privios owner over tighten the lock nut?

So far it seems correlated to OCD and the need to look at one's poop."
cherokeekid58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #1254
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeekid58 View Post
Huh i just took apart my grandfathers 10.25 to replace a seal and i pulled the bearings out by hand. Did the privios owner over tighten the lock nut?
The wheel bearings? Once you take the spindle nut off, the outer bearing should basically fall out. The PO probably didn't ever change the wheel bearings. The spindle nut was was how it was supposed to be.

The hubs to got screwed up from the guy that I had take the bearing races out.

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 11-30-2012, 04:23 AM   #1255
cherokeekid58
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_WJ View Post
The wheel bearings? Once you take the spindle nut off, the outer bearing should basically fall out. The PO probably didn't ever change the wheel bearings. The spindle nut was was how it was supposed to be.

The hubs to got screwed up from the guy that I had take the bearing races out.
Oh bearing races. Ok. I miss read that part. Got it.

So have you decided yet how your gonna re enforce the unibody? Plate the front and back like a zj, or plate the whole thing. Im in for the overkill!!!! Love your WJ and the front bumper you drew up flows better with the body lines IMO.

Unread 11-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #1256
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeekid58 View Post
Oh bearing races. Ok. I miss read that part. Got it.

So have you decided yet how your gonna re enforce the unibody? Plate the front and back like a zj, or plate the whole thing. Im in for the overkill!!!! Love your WJ and the front bumper you drew up flows better with the body lines IMO.
I plan on going front to back with the reinforcing. Figured that'd be better to do since the cage would be tied into that frame plating. Overkill ain't always bad.

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 11-30-2012, 02:44 PM   #1257
cherokeekid58
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Heck no it isnt. Ill be following your build!

Unread 12-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #1258
RedZJ
1996 ZJ 

Congrats Bama.. Now finish your damn build thread.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...ma_wj-1444684/
RedZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #1259
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Time to start planning my garage layout...

Garage is basically 20x21. Will have cable TV hook up and I'll be adding surround sound in there, too. Got two 220V plugs going in. One will be a dedicated to an air compressor and the other will be dedicated to a welder (I guess whenever I get those items). Can't wait for walls to start going up so I can start seeing where I want to put my workbench and to maximize storage area.

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 12-02-2012, 09:48 PM   #1260
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

Very nice Dan, Are you doing any of the work?

"Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest"
MoonyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.