Bama_WJ's Build Thread - Page 71 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Bama_WJ's Build Thread

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-10-2011, 07:36 PM   #1051
SaturnICL
1999 WJ 

Look at how I did them on the Escape artist build. That will be sufficient unless your going to Baha jump it but ithen they would have to be tied into a roll cage.

Unread 12-10-2011, 10:21 PM   #1052
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
What helps them is sending them pictures of how others have done it. They probably have never done a wj since they are a premier buggy shop. Anything to give them a better idea is good.
Yea, that's how I've been planning on doing it from the get go. I would just have to get them on the phone for a serious game plan about the project not just a feeler call like I had today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnICL View Post
Look at how I did them on the Escape artist build. That will be sufficient unless your going to Baha jump it but ithen they would have to be tied into a roll cage.
I had the same thoughts. I'll definitely be sharing how you setup the coilovers on the Escape Artist build.

You alright with sharing designs?

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2011, 10:33 PM   #1053
SaturnICL
1999 WJ 

I hold no patents I post it so it may inspire others...
Unread 01-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #1054
Allgood_73
No Compromises

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Daniel, look into the King IBP Coilovers. These are what EOR suggested for me and completely eliminate the need for bumpstops.... so it's great for limited space. The added cost of the IBP (internal bypass) system is a wash since you don't have to buy bumpstops. The only bad thing is, they currently only make then in 2.5" versions.... I talked to King and they will release their 2.0" versions around Valentines day next month. I'm going to go ahead and run the 2.5" version since they are just plain beefy and sick.... though they do cost a pretty penny more.

And yes, when EOR quotes the price of 5k, that is a rough price quote over the phone for EVERYTHING (labor, material, coil overs, tax, etc). He doesn't add any costs later on. Depending on which coil overs you go with, thats pretty good considering just my coil overs are going to run around $3500. If you get your axles done there too, he'll give ya a price break.

Setting up coil overs PROPERLY is a complete PITA. Especially the IBP setup. But once fine tuned.... they are the tits.

Great build thus far, can't wait to see it all done. Maybe we can get together and wheel too.

My Build Thread

Wheeling Trips

My Items For Sale

Thank you to all who voted me the July 2011 TJ of the Month AND July 2012 TJ of the Month!!!

Built Not Bought... pshh... how about, Wheeled Not Garaged.

An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

Buyers / Sellers To Avoid: sidetracked
Allgood_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2012, 02:56 PM   #1055
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Thanks for the heads up on the King shocks. I'll look into it for sure. I doubt I'll be doing anything before March, but I'll ask about the 2.5 vs. 2.0 when I talk to EOR.

And yea, just the tuning and knowledge involved dealing with coilovers is one reason I'd like EOR to deal with it.

Thanks man. I'm definitely going to be itching to wheel the hell out of my WJ when it's done!

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 01-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #1056
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Took a trip up to EOR this morning. I wanted to have a sit down with them about the WJ and maybe take a tour of their shop. Brought along some pictures, a list of what I still need for the build, a "to-do" and a "want-to-do" list. I didn't realize how much I still got left to do once I got done with my list.

Their shop was pretty nice. Lots of kick *** builds going on for sure. Even saw the Suburban Gorilla from Xtreme 4x4 (or whats left of it). They had a old school Bronco in there that would make you drool. EOR definitely know what they are doing to say the least. Said they would have a quote for me on Monday, so we'll see what the damage is here soon.

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 01-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #1057
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Very nice man!

I've got one question though, if your not looking for extreme up/downtravel amd such, what specific performance benefits are you looking to gain by going coilovers? Don't get me wrong its awesome that your doing it, but most the time people are switching over to coilovers because said factors have become the limits of their suspension, and they want more. By not cutting through the floorboards your going to be restricted to a 10-12" coilover, and the overall benefits of all the work to convert to a coilover really start to diminish. They will have adjustable valving, but so will a $200 fox/bilstein/etc shock that will fit in your current configuration. The one thing they really have is the dual rate ability, which can be nice when set up and tuned, but that's usually more effective in higher travel situations
Build Thread: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=7387
AgitatedPancake's Youtube Channel
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 05:36 PM   #1058
smunns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_WJ
Took a trip up to EOR this morning. I wanted to have a sit down with them about the WJ and maybe take a tour of their shop. Brought along some pictures, a list of what I still need for the build, a "to-do" and a "want-to-do" list. I didn't realize how much I still got left to do once I got done with my list.

Their shop was pretty nice. Lots of kick *** builds going on for sure. Even saw the Suburban Gorilla from Xtreme 4x4 (or whats left of it). They had a old school Bronco in there that would make you drool. EOR definitely know what they are doing to say the least. Said they would have a quote for me on Monday, so we'll see what the damage is here soon.
Sweet! A couple buddies and I might be headed out to EOR in a few weeks for the buggy build event and to pick up my buddy's chassis.
smunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #1059
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

I think the biggest benefit I can think of is that everything is in one package. Also, I know it can be done somehow, but putting coils on the driver side front axle looks to be a *****. But since I am going with coilovers I do want them to perform better than a set of coils. The biggest concern is if I do go through the floor in the back, how do I keep the elements out? This isn't a pure trail rig, so I still plan on driving this thing to and from the trail and around town. Maybe I can talk to them about it once we get the finance situation figured out.

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 01-30-2012, 08:43 AM   #1060
Allgood_73
No Compromises

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smunns View Post
Sweet! A couple buddies and I might be headed out to EOR in a few weeks for the buggy build event and to pick up my buddy's chassis.
I've got some insider info about this from EOR... Jimmy is planning on hiring the winner of buggy build contest.... should be pretty awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_WJ View Post
Lots of kick *** builds going on for sure.
Did you see my TJ? I dropped it off last week, but they might have had it covered up with a tarp since I don't have uppers on my doors to stop rain from getting in.

Quote:
The biggest concern is if I do go through the floor in the back, how do I keep the elements out?
One idea off the top of my head (if possible), is a large, custom rubber grommet with a slice in the middle to allow movement of the coilover. This would keep the elements out and make things still look nice.

My Build Thread

Wheeling Trips

My Items For Sale

Thank you to all who voted me the July 2011 TJ of the Month AND July 2012 TJ of the Month!!!

Built Not Bought... pshh... how about, Wheeled Not Garaged.

An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

Buyers / Sellers To Avoid: sidetracked
Allgood_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 09:07 AM   #1061
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

If you cut through the back floor, you can put a metal covering over it. Almost like a wheel well you see in beds of pickup trucks. It would obviously be smaller since its just covering a few inches of the coilover.

And to make it removable, you could screw it down instead of weld it. Or just have an upper section that folds down to access the top bolt to unbolt everything.
Unread 02-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #1062
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allgood_73 View Post
Did you see my TJ? I dropped it off last week, but they might have had it covered up with a tarp since I don't have uppers on my doors to stop rain from getting in.

One idea off the top of my head (if possible), is a large, custom rubber grommet with a slice in the middle to allow movement of the coilover. This would keep the elements out and make things still look nice.
He did show me your TJ. And yea, it was still mostly covered up with a tarp. He said it was fun getting it from the trailer to the lift.

The grommet is a good idea. Might look into that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmarc View Post
If you cut through the back floor, you can put a metal covering over it. Almost like a wheel well you see in beds of pickup trucks. It would obviously be smaller since its just covering a few inches of the coilover.

And to make it removable, you could screw it down instead of weld it. Or just have an upper section that folds down to access the top bolt to unbolt everything.
This was my first thought as well. Will just have to talk with them about what I might be able to do.

They said they would have an estimate to me by this week, but haven't heard anything as of yet. Tried calling 3 times today and no one picked up. Only thing I can think of is everyone was out doing KOH stuff this weekend.

And still waiting on my Detroit Lockers. February 6 will mark 4 months since I paid. I don't know if its Transamerican Wholesale that's dragging *** or somebody else. Whoever it is I guess keeps telling Nick (Kolak) that the S10.5 locker is on back order. But somehow Summit has them in stock and ready to ship next day...

Nick has been a great help through the ordeal though. I can tell he's just as frustrated about it as I am. Top notch guy to work with for sure.

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 02-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #1063
patrick983
2000 WJ 

Quote:
And still waiting on my Detroit Lockers. February 6 will mark 4 months since I paid. I don't know if its Transamerican Wholesale that's dragging *** or somebody else. Whoever it is I guess keeps telling Nick (Kolak) that the S10.5 locker is on back order. But somehow Summit has them in stock and ready to ship next day...

Nick has been a great help through the ordeal though. I can tell he's just as frustrated about it as I am. Top notch guy to work with for sure.
wow you sure have more patience than i. no offense to any other vendors but thats why summit/4wp/etc always get my orders
Unread 02-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #1064
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Summit is awesome, but even 4wp has issues sometimes. It took almost 3 months to get my front shocks in after I paid for them.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #1065
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Yea, I don't think 4WP will get much business from me anymore. Took maybe 2.5 months for my gears to get here and still waiting on lockers. It was the same ordeal when I had my D30/D44a installs and gears on order. Pretty frustrating when I'm wanting to get a move on with the build and parts still ain't here yet.

North Alabama Jeep

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.