Bama_WJ's Build Thread - Page 61 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Bama_WJ's Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-16-2011, 09:52 AM   #901
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

You can get cheap 17s and add weld on bead locks from ballistic fab.

That's my plan.

Just go coilovers.

Unread 07-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #902
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

My only issue with that is balancing them. How hard is it to balance them? I can still drive my jeep down the road with 10 ounces of beads in each wheel/tire.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2011, 11:52 AM   #903
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

You can use the bead balancers, that's probably your best and most simple solution.
Unread 07-16-2011, 11:54 AM   #904
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

I'm just curious as to how well they would in fact balance. I just you can let us know.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Unread 07-16-2011, 12:19 PM   #905
JJAMISON_
2008 JK Wrangler 

semi trucks have used similar balancers for years. those bead balancers may work better for a big mud tire.
Unread 07-16-2011, 01:24 PM   #906
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

I shall! ha.

But 99% of beadlocks aren't dot approved if I remember correctly.

So you also have to think about that.
Unread 07-16-2011, 07:35 PM   #907
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracs4 View Post
well if you order tires then that kind of limits your choices on whatr wheels just saying not meaning to rain on your parade
Not really. About the only thing limiting my wheel choice is the 8x170 lug pattern. Would really be nice to have the normal 8x6.5 lug pattern. And a majority of 35"+ tires are only made for a 17" wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
He is going 17s, we already know that. Just get beadlocks, you will be running 37s.

And for specs on coilovers, here is what I found out.

For coilovers, reservior is the way to go. If you go foa, get the billet preload, billet cap qith replacable heims and the 90 degree swivel . High temp seals are optional, depends if you are going to be drive baja style with them. (I will ) As far as valving, Cody hasn't got back to me yet but seems for mainly rockcrawling, med is the way to go on both but don't quote me on that. I am still trying to figure that out. And for springs on the WJ, 250/300. That is what SaturnICL ran on his WJ both front and rear.

And my plan is 14" coilovers front and rear. Cody runs claytons on his zj and said that is max amount of travel you get out of it.
Thanks for the specs man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmarc View Post
I shall! ha.

But 99% of beadlocks aren't dot approved if I remember correctly.

So you also have to think about that.
Ok, and whats wrong with them just because they don't have a DOT stamp on them? No where does it say they are illegal and tons of people run them without issue.

But I do plan on using the airsoft BBs to balance the tires.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2011, 07:37 PM   #908
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

Probably worth reading, er, skimming: http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...lovers/Part_1/
gatorayde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #909
mtnmarc
1999 WJ 

I've been pulled over by a chp while in a truck with beadlocks. He informed us that it is "unsafe" due to the fact the thing holding the outer bead on is bolts.

I mean I'd feel comfortable driving with them occasionally on the road, but for dd tires, I'd rather get some smaller 33-35s.
Unread 07-16-2011, 08:17 PM   #910
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

I'm pretty sure there was a thread on pirate where a guy said he would pay someone some amount of cash if they found a law that said beadlocks are illegal. No one was ever paid.

And just because something is DOT approved doesn't make it legal.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Unread 07-17-2011, 08:56 AM   #911
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Yea, I've seen the thing on Pirate saying there is a reward for anyone finding a law against beadlock wheels.

Anyway, I find myself keep going back to look at these...

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...l-p-24854.html

The price kind of kills it for me though.

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 07-17-2011, 09:28 AM   #912
JJAMISON_
2008 JK Wrangler 

Beadlocks aren't a bad idea for rock crawling and such but you shouldn't need them here unless you are airing down to 4psi
Unread 07-17-2011, 09:37 AM   #913
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

have you considered Staun inner air beadlocks man? I've seen used sets sell on pirate for $500ish, throw them on whatever wheels you want.

That being said, I'd have no problem running beadlocks on the road, just keep things maintained and check the bolts every now and then. Hell, H1 beadlocks are a DOT approved TWO PEICE WHEEL, that could flat out fall apart if only 8 or 12 bolts came loose. Most beadlocks in generally use 32 bolts per wheel haha.
Build Thread: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=7387
AgitatedPancake's Youtube Channel
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2011, 09:54 AM   #914
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake View Post
have you considered Staun inner air beadlocks man? I've seen used sets sell on pirate for $500ish, throw them on whatever wheels you want.

That being said, I'd have no problem running beadlocks on the road, just keep things maintained and check the bolts every now and then. Hell, H1 beadlocks are a DOT approved TWO PEICE WHEEL, that could flat out fall apart if only 8 or 12 bolts came loose. Most beadlocks in generally use 32 bolts per wheel haha.
Everyone on Colorado4x4 who has ran Stauns ends up hating them. They say they work really good to start with but eventually don't work.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Unread 07-17-2011, 10:18 AM   #915
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Yea, I realize the southeast doesn't really require beadlocks for really airing down, but I don't know where I might drive the jeep once it's finished. I mean Moab is at least one place it will be driven to once it's done. I guess we'll just see what happens. I got other things that need buying before I get wheels.

North Alabama Jeep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.