Bama_WJ's Build Thread - Page 59 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Bama_WJ's Build Thread

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*WJ Tube Doors Now Available!

Unread 07-08-2011, 11:04 AM   #871
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

It makes it really nice for squeezing in all the components. With it done the way I did, you can actually fine tune the length of the high steer arm between where the drag link ends and the pivot point of the knuckle (kingpin/balljoint). For example on my 44 when I ran true crossover high steer, trying to squeeze both the tie rod and drag link onto a single steering arm basically forced my drag link to be as far out on the steering arm as possible, which in turn didn't allow me to have full turning. Now, I can drill a couple of holes on the arm and try out a few combinations to get absolute max turning out of it.

Also with crossover high steer like I had it was almost next to impossible to squeeze a well balanced track bar into the mix haha, which is a problem I eliminated with the new setup.

The stock tie rod points are actually pretty high up on the ford knuckles, so by simply drilling them from the top my tie rod actually sits pretty high up, at the top of the axle tube

Build Thread: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=7387
AgitatedPancake's Youtube Channel
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 12:03 PM   #872
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Good to know. I think I'll do that.

For anyone wanting to know about reaming for chevy one ton ends, go here. How to and correct reamer:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=793122

And I found a right side knuckle for a high steer drag link. Just one cast knuckle, easy, no fuss:

http://completeoffroad.com/i-2748905...m71030-02.html

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 02:28 PM   #873
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Since I'm ditching the crappy vacuum hubs, I just bought myself some of these...

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 07-09-2011, 07:43 PM   #874
HookEm
2001 WJ 

Lovin the dub. How much were you wanting for the 2.5 BB, are you selling the shocks with the pucks too? How many miles you think you have on them? Thanks
HookEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 09:31 PM   #875
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEm View Post
Lovin the dub. How much were you wanting for the 2.5 BB, are you selling the shocks with the pucks too? How many miles you think you have on them? Thanks
Thanks man. PM sent about the lift and shocks.

So I went back to my parents house to work on the axles again today. Worked on the S10.5 for the most part. Cleaned it up a bit, took the massive axles out and got the braking hardware off. Tried getting the ball joints out of the driver side knuckle, but they wouldn't budge at all with my ball joint clamp. But for the most part, the axles are torn down to the point where I can order all the OEM replacement parts for them. So that's the next phase which will be a couple weeks out.

And I'm starting to hope that the coil pads on the axle won't be to far apart that the springs will be bending outwards. Cause there ain't much room for the coil pad on the passenger side even if I cut the casting back a bit.

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 07-10-2011, 09:02 PM   #876
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

Nice man, you can always take a measurement from your coil springs where they are now and then measure the width of the axle. Id imagine that they might be a little wider than the wj, but hopefully not by much if it is.

"Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest"
MoonyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 10:15 PM   #877
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

IIRC, my spring spacing on the axle is around 38" between the two.

While you have the knuckle loaded up under pressure in the ball joint clamp, spray the balljoint with WD-40 or penetrating oil. If that alone doesn't work, try shock loading the balljoint while under pressure. A few taps in the same direction as removal usually helps get them started
Build Thread: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=7387
AgitatedPancake's Youtube Channel
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 12:03 AM   #878
bracs4
1990 YJ Wrangler 

im really digging the grand i came real close to buying one before i bought my yj added you on facebook by the way i really like the direction this is headed
bracs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 08:16 PM   #879
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonyJohn View Post
Nice man, you can always take a measurement from your coil springs where they are now and then measure the width of the axle. Id imagine that they might be a little wider than the wj, but hopefully not by much if it is.
From the looking around that I've done, I think the space between the inner knuckles is going to be JUST wide enough for the springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake View Post
IIRC, my spring spacing on the axle is around 38" between the two.

While you have the knuckle loaded up under pressure in the ball joint clamp, spray the balljoint with WD-40 or penetrating oil. If that alone doesn't work, try shock loading the balljoint while under pressure. A few taps in the same direction as removal usually helps get them started
Yea, from looking over the Clayton CAD drawing for the front axle (FOUND HERE), the width between the spring center lines is pretty much right at 37-3/8". And according to BillaVista's 60 Bible, the leaf perches on the stock axles were 36-1/2" apart. So I think I'm sitting pretty as of right now.

And thanks for the ball joint tips. I'll have to try those out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracs4 View Post
im really digging the grand i came real close to buying one before i bought my yj added you on facebook by the way i really like the direction this is headed
Thanks man! Good to see who it was that friended me.

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 07-11-2011, 09:19 PM   #880
theksmith
2003 WJ 

just read the last few pages and got caught up on your build - those axles are insane, can't wait to see it done.
theksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 10:04 PM   #881
GraKee99
Rapist Wit
1999 WJ 

Just do coilovers. Problem solved.

WJ, WK, CJ5

[CENTER][URL="http://staythetrail.org/"][COLOR="Navy"]Stay the Trail[/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]

[CENTER][COLOR="DarkGreen"]Colorado Jeep Club Member #188[/COLOR][/CENTER]
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 04:57 PM   #882
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
just read the last few pages and got caught up on your build - those axles are insane, can't wait to see it done.
Thanks! And you're not the only one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
Just do coilovers. Problem solved.
Believe me, I've seriously thought about it. But I figured I'd try the springs that I already have. Need to spend money in other places.

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 07-12-2011, 06:16 PM   #883
GraKee99
Rapist Wit
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_WJ View Post
Believe me, I've seriously thought about it. But I figured I'd try the springs that I already have. Need to spend money in other places.
Have you looked at FOA? They actually aren't bad in price. They don't compare to kings or fox but are still nice.

WJ, WK, CJ5

[CENTER][URL="http://staythetrail.org/"][COLOR="Navy"]Stay the Trail[/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]

[CENTER][COLOR="DarkGreen"]Colorado Jeep Club Member #188[/COLOR][/CENTER]
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 06:59 PM   #884
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
Have you looked at FOA? They actually aren't bad in price. They don't compare to kings or fox but are still nice.
As a matter of fact, I started looking at the King 2.0 coilovers. The coilovers are actually less than what I expected them to be. Just don't know a whole lot about spring rates/sizes, terminology and all that jazz. I was reading up on the MC topic of the month on coilovers to give me a general idea, but it seemed like it kind of turned into a pissing match.

Like I said, I'd like to try and use my Clayton 6" springs that I already have. However, the coilovers might be in the cards if complications arise. But I got a big boy transfer case to buy.

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 07-12-2011, 07:06 PM   #885
JJAMISON_
2008 JK Wrangler 

those FOAs are sweet! I just looked at them. i bet you could call them and tell them your application and they would make a few suggestions

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.