Bama_WJ's Build Thread - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Bama_WJ's Build Thread

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 08-04-2009, 07:24 AM   #61
malibubts
2002 WJ 

That's fairly similar to what I want to do, Computer Engineering. It's basically Electrical Engineering with a slant towards computers. See, I'm a fan of winter so I don't have the issue. Plus I live in Cincinanti which is not too far away and the weather is pretty similar. Yah, I'm going to have to come out and take a look. I'll send you a PM if I'm ever out that way. How did you get away with an axle swap in their parking lot?

Unread 08-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #62
Bama_WJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibubts View Post
That's fairly similar to what I want to do, Computer Engineering. It's basically Electrical Engineering with a slant towards computers. See, I'm a fan of winter so I don't have the issue. Plus I live in Cincinanti which is not too far away and the weather is pretty similar. Yah, I'm going to have to come out and take a look. I'll send you a PM if I'm ever out that way. How did you get away with an axle swap in their parking lot?
I don't really know. It sat on jackstands and no rear wheels for maybe a week before I decided to do the axle swap. It was good that it was finals week when I actually did the swap cause there were hardly any cars in the parking lot to get in my way. I had a cop come up to me once like the day before the swap (PB blasting, taking brakes off, ect.) and asked me what all I was doing. She seemed alright with it and just said I should probably hurry up cause there is some ordinance about nonworking vehicles. Got the axle in and it was all good.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2009, 12:52 PM   #63
malibubts
2002 WJ 

You'd figure a college campus would go crazy about that. I guess I found my college then!
Unread 08-04-2009, 12:55 PM   #64
BlackSS
1999 WJ 

Nice build you got going on here!
BlackSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2009, 01:24 PM   #65
Coletrickle
2001 XJ Cherokee 

This is the most entertaining build thread yet! Love the "open air workshop". I have one of those too, but it's not in quite as busy an area (my back yard). You've done some really useful budget upgrades, great for a student. Nice job Bama, and nice rig.
Homegrown Bumper
Aussie
Coletrickle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2009, 03:00 PM   #66
Bama_WJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
You'd figure a college campus would go crazy about that. I guess I found my college then!
Yea. I thought I would have gotten at least one ticket for something, but I didn't. I mean, its not like I could have moved. The Jeep still had the 35 housing; but no carrier, axles, or rear driveshaft. Only sucks during the winter snow cause they will hound the big parking lots and keep people from drifting around and whatnot, well at least on campus. Folks with 4WD usually have an advantage since most of the PUPD have Dodge Chargers to run around in. I think they only have 2 or 3 4WD Explorers for when it snows. Good thing I know alot more parking lots to have fun at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSS View Post
Nice build you got going on here!
Thanks man. You skipped over half the fun of owning a Jeep - building it. I guess you can make up for it with awesome wheeling pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coletrickle View Post
This is the most entertaining build thread yet! Love the "open air workshop". I have one of those too, but it's not in quite as busy an area (my back yard). You've done some really useful budget upgrades, great for a student. Nice job Bama, and nice rig.
Thanks!

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 08-04-2009, 03:46 PM   #67
malibubts
2002 WJ 

Do you have any idea if Freshman are allowed to have cars (Jeeps in our case)?
Unread 08-04-2009, 04:30 PM   #68
Bama_WJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Do you have any idea if Freshman are allowed to have cars (Jeeps in our case)?
Yea, they are allowed cars. The only thing is Purdue gives the freshman last dibs on parking permits. By then, there is little to no parking after the seniors, juniors, and sophmore get ahold of the permits. There is one long street (maybe a little longer than 1/4 mile) that is all free parking. I call it Greek street since all the frats and soroities are on it. That is where most of the greek folks park their cars though. My room mate had his car at Purdue his freshman year and we would spend sometimes upwards of 30 minutes going up and down the street to find a parking spot. Sometimes you luck out and find one in less then 5 min but other times it will take a while. Its pretty cut throat.

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 08-05-2009, 02:32 PM   #69
Bama_WJ
2001 WJ 

Finally got rid of almost ALL of my rear shock clunk. The hardware I got from Kevins didn't really help. The problem with Kevins is the steel sleeve that goes into the bushing is about 1/4" wider than the actual bushing. What ends up happening is when you crank down on the bolt, it will only go in as wide as the steel sleeve. This leave a little bit of side to side movement in the bushing and you can't really tighten up the bushing since the sleeve is wider. So, I went off to Lowes again today to see what I could pick up. Here is what I got:

2 M12-1.75" x 70 hex cap screws
2 1/2" x 5/8" x 1-1/2" steel spacer

Total: $9.96

Replaced the old hardware with the new and cranked them down real good with my air impact. Virtually no more clunk. It is still slightly noticable when I hit some of the bigger bumps in the road, but other than that, its awesome! Glad I finally got this figured out after 2 years...

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 08-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #70
Bama_WJ
2001 WJ 

Finally was able to install my double cardan front driveshaft today. I had to order OEM bolts from Kolak in order to install it which is why it took so long to put it on.

What the OEM bolts look like if anyone has this dilemma:

Once I had it bolted up on the transfer case side, it seemed like the driveshaft was a tad to short. Maybe by about 2 to 3 inches. I had to actually pull the ujoint into the yoke on the axle.

What do you guys think?

Relaxed:

The boot when everything was bolted up:

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 08-10-2009, 07:51 PM   #71
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

Yea that looks a bit too long. A shop should only charge ~$50 or so to lengthen it a few inches.
gatorayde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2009, 08:32 PM   #72
XJ_Renegade
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Jeez, an axle swap in a parking lot? Now that screams Jeep! Hahaha! Axle work is the kind of stuff that makes me very nervous. I don't know why...Are they even difficult to work on?
Unread 08-10-2009, 11:37 PM   #73
bigbluezj94
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ_Renegade View Post
Jeez, an axle swap in a parking lot? Now that screams Jeep! Hahaha! Axle work is the kind of stuff that makes me very nervous. I don't know why...Are they even difficult to work on?
axles really arent that bad to work on. as long as you know what youre getting into. I just did my first re-gear and it really wasnt as hard as i thought. VERY time consuming though. but swapping in a d44a from a 35 is just a couple bolts, bleeding the brakes and shortening the driveshaft afterwords.

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B]BigBlue build 3/4 ton axles, LAs, 37s [/COLOR][/B]
[B][U][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=818891[/url] [/U][/B]

99 Grand Cherokee Laredo WJ, 4.7 liter, 247 Quadra Trac II, fully loaded

[color=Black][center][size=4][font=Showcard Gothic][color=Black][url="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][color=Black]Built Not Bought #033[/color][/url][/color][/font][/size][/center]
[/color]
[/CENTER]
bigbluezj94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2009, 01:19 AM   #74
Bama_WJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorayde View Post
Yea that looks a bit too long. A shop should only charge ~$50 or so to lengthen it a few inches.
I find it odd that the driveshaft came off another WJ with a 242 and doesn't fit correctly. I can't imagine that it coming off a 4.7 would make a difference, but would it?

BTW, you get the D30 gear set and carrier yet?

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 08-11-2009, 03:21 AM   #75
bigbluezj94
1994 ZJ 

if it came off a 4.7 with a 242 behind it, (did they even produce a WJ with that combo?) then i can see the shaft being a different length. the engine blocks are different lengths....

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B]BigBlue build 3/4 ton axles, LAs, 37s [/COLOR][/B]
[B][U][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=818891[/url] [/U][/B]

99 Grand Cherokee Laredo WJ, 4.7 liter, 247 Quadra Trac II, fully loaded

[color=Black][center][size=4][font=Showcard Gothic][color=Black][url="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][color=Black]Built Not Bought #033[/color][/url][/color][/font][/size][/center]
[/color]
[/CENTER]
bigbluezj94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.