Bama_WJ's Build Thread - Page 41 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Bama_WJ's Build Thread

Huge Soft top SaleSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 12-24-2010, 08:41 PM   #601
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjanks View Post
i read somewhere where someone bought lokar cables for the caddi brakes and it "kind of" worked. Not to sure about using the stock cables. This is why i havent went 1 tons i would love to have a 9" in the rear but it seems complicated when you get down to keeping a dd rig.
For sure, it can get complicated when you start digging in to it. I guess I'll have to do some more research here soon. I mean, not having the ebrake is not really a deal breaker, but I really kind of want it because of where I live. My house is built on top of a hill and anywhere you park there is some sort of decline.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2010, 03:31 PM   #602
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Been thinking a lot about what I want to do with the Jeep over the last couple days. I'm starting to have second thoughts about the axles and what not. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have some beefy axles, but I think I just got a wild hair and started dreaming big without really thinking about reality. My Jeep is my DD and will be for some time. I've also taken into consideration the expenses to get the axles where I want them (gears, lockers, chromo front shafts, new bearings/seals, trusses, welding labor costs). I could instead use that money to get my claytons, 35s and gears. I'll wheel it until I feel the need for the 44/60 combo. I feel like I might just be getting in over my head when I start swapping in the axles. Plus I want to see how much I actually get to wheel it before I go and get some big axles.

Just my thoughts from a lazy Christmas day. Hope everyone had a good Christmas.

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 12-25-2010, 03:38 PM   #603
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

I had those same exact thoughts Daniel. Look at all of the people that rock crawl down in moab and rubicon, they have the 30/44a combo or have once run the combo and have done some pretty gnarly things. Id say save your pennies for the clayton LA and 35's. That alone will get you places, even w/o lockers.

"Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest"
MoonyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2010, 05:05 PM   #604
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonyJohn View Post
I had those same exact thoughts Daniel. Look at all of the people that rock crawl down in moab and rubicon, they have the 30/44a combo or have once run the combo and have done some pretty gnarly things. Id say save your pennies for the clayton LA and 35's. That alone will get you places, even w/o lockers.
Yea, I know a good set of tires will get me a lot further. I started thinking of all the peole that did run the 30/44a combo without much complaint and figured it should be fine with my amount of wheeling I do and wheeling style. Once I thought about 5 or more people that wheeled with the combo and the amount of time/money I'd save, I decided that the axles could wait til later. I might just start on my Clayton LA payment plan here soon.

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 12-25-2010, 10:09 PM   #605
sk8anddsm
2004 WJ 

Man you have a lot of blood, sweat, and tears in your WJ. Very nice work. It all looks top notch.
My Jeep build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2004-wj-build-1142013/
sk8anddsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2010, 11:31 AM   #606
lakailimited06
1999 WJ 

nice to see you actually thining about it...i woldnt toss all your eggs in one basket im sure you have more hobbies than just your WJ...30 should be fine with the cvs and 35's unlocked id keep it...or just hold out for used chromos for it like i did or go with the dutchman route...theres plenty of guys running 35's locked and bigger on lp30 and or hp30s...i would have told you to consider a different rear axle first but you already have your 44a in with a truss and locker...good luck dude
Unread 12-26-2010, 01:10 PM   #607
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8anddsm View Post
Man you have a lot of blood, sweat, and tears in your WJ. Very nice work. It all looks top notch.
Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakailimited06 View Post
nice to see you actually thining about it...i woldnt toss all your eggs in one basket im sure you have more hobbies than just your WJ...30 should be fine with the cvs and 35's unlocked id keep it...or just hold out for used chromos for it like i did or go with the dutchman route...theres plenty of guys running 35's locked and bigger on lp30 and or hp30s...i would have told you to consider a different rear axle first but you already have your 44a in with a truss and locker...good luck dude
Yea, the more I thought about it, the more it didn't seem like the practical thing to do right now. My jeep is probably my biggest hobby, but I do do other things besides the jeep. I'd love to start on my Chevy Nova project that I've wanted to do for years (finally a vehicle that I won't mind taking past 80mph!). But right now the plans are Clayton LAs, gears and tires. From there I'll wheel it til I feel the need for another build phase. My current setup should do me fine for the time being.

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 12-26-2010, 01:45 PM   #608
lakailimited06
1999 WJ 

yea for some reason i wouldnt feel comfortable about daily driving a jeep with axles that didnt come stock on it while running 37's...no reason why really if its properly done...i was sketchy about having the 8.8 put in but it didnt cost all that much more the 44a would have cost to buy and have geared and locked...
Unread 12-26-2010, 03:07 PM   #609
rfjeeper

2007 JK Wrangler 

Yeah i know how you feel,i took it even further and cant make up my mind to stick with 16in. wheels and tires or go down to 15in. and save money ,but only wheels that seem to work on 15in tires are the steel soft 8's but i like alum. wheels but not the stock ones,i like the pro comp matte black color wheels,what to do,what to do.
rfjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2010, 04:32 PM   #610
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Finally had some decent weather to work on the Jeep today. Changed the engine oil and put new gear oil in both the diffs. I inpected both diffs pretty closely.

Everything in the front checked out alright with no real bad signs of wear on the ring/pinion or on the spider gears. The magnet had an acceptable amount of shavings on it. The fluid in the front was dark but didn't smell burnt or anything, just really dirty. Only thing I saw that I needed to do is replace the axle seals.

The rear diff didn't look bad either. The fluid was dirty, but not dark. Ring and pinion looked normal, as did the Aussie. No real signs of glitter in the fluid, which is good. Turns out the driver side seal is on its last leg and I'm starting to believe my driver side wheel bearing on the 44a is going bad. The new fluid helped it out a tad bit, but the noise is still there.

My plan right now is to get the Alloy USA axles for the 44a and put my new bearings/seals on those and keep my stock ones as spares.

Happy New Years!

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 12-31-2010, 05:04 PM   #611
lakailimited06
1999 WJ 

guess your keeping the stock axles to run 35's...not a bad choice yoll like the extra money in your pocket
Unread 12-31-2010, 06:43 PM   #612
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakailimited06 View Post
guess your keeping the stock axles to run 35's...not a bad choice yoll like the extra money in your pocket
Yea, I decided to keep them. I'll definitely like the extra money and time that won't be needed for figuring out bigger axles. One of my new year resolutions is to not put to much money into the Jeep and put some towards my second biggest hobby, coin collecting.

I start my full time job in the next couple weeks, so some fun stuff shouldn't be to far off.

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 01-03-2011, 11:27 PM   #613
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Ok, well I've decided to park the Jeep since it's still making that real loud noise and the rear driver axle seal is toast. Figured this would be the perfect time to throw some of those chromos they just came out with in there. Problem is none of the axle lengths match up. And what's the Hydra-Lok thing? Don't think I've ever heard of it. Someone want to point me in the right direction...

Stock Axles (Taken off East Coast Gear Supply's website):
Quote:
Driver LH w/ Hydra-Lok- 32.33"
Passenger RH w/ Hydra-Lok- 29.34"

Driver LH w/o Hydra-Lok- 31.34"
Passenger RH w/o Hydra-Lok- 30.34"
Alloy USA Chromo Axles (Taken off Alloy USA's website):
Quote:
Driver LH - 32-3/8" (32.375")
Passenger RH - 29-3/8" (29.375")
The Alloys are close with the Hydra-Lok axle legths. I guess a couple hundreths of an inch wouldn't really matter. How do I know if I have this Hydra-Lok axle?

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 01-04-2011, 12:38 AM   #614
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Hydro Lock is the QuadraDrive unit, the factory limited slip. Everyone calls it something else (vari-lock), but it actually says HydroLock right on the limited slip case.

If you have open diffs, you don't have the Hydrolock. If you have the Quadradrive, you have Hydrolock's.

The hydro locks (quadradrive) units actually use different axle shafts on each side, and the axle spline count is different than the open differentials in the WJ's.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2011, 01:09 AM   #615
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Well thats lame. Alloy needs to step their game up with make shafts for the open diffs for us locked up folks.

North Alabama Jeep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.