Bama_WJ's Build Thread - Page 39 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Bama_WJ's Build Thread

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 12-13-2010, 04:55 PM   #571
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Got quite a bit of snow last night. Naturally, me and my buddies went out for a drift session.

YouTube - Purdue Snow Drift Session

Yea I know I posted the video already in the snow thread, but I feel like posting it here again so I can reminisce about it later.

No real updates with the Jeep though. Haven't really had the cash to do anything. Looks like I'll have a full time job here soon, so updates will be coming!

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2010, 12:17 AM   #572
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

I'm finally a college graduate!

Now I just need a job.

Anyways, I finally made it home after a long day of driving in the Jeep. The noise I'm having still persists. I came up with some more detailed symptoms while I was driving it all day today.

With front driveshaft in:

- Speeds of 60+mph had a slight but constant vibration
- Vibration felt like it was under my feet
- Viration only happened while I had my foot on the gas

With front driveshaft out:

- Noise still persists; however, noise becomes lower (volume wise) when driveshaft is off
- No more vibration
- Noise is most noticable from about 35-55mph and is quite loud
- Noise is still heard under load
- Noise resembles more of a whirring/growling noise than anything
- When coming to a stop (10-0mph), I can feel something at the bottom of my feet, kind of like something grinding it feels and sounds like
- Noise seems to stop once I get to 60+mph

I also found it interesting that when I was pulling the front shaft off today that a little drip of gear lube came out the driver side tube. It was very dark. The lube was basically black. Which obviously means something in there is getting to hot and burning the lube. The only thing I really don't understand is its still making noise under load without the driveshaft (or with it installed for that matter since I stay in 2WD 99% of the time). I almost want to put the front shaft in and take the rear shaft out and drive around like that and see what happens. But the black gear lube makes me think it's the front axle.

If the general consensus is that its probably the axles, I'll just go ahead and start looking for beefier ones right now. I got another car I can drive and some grad/birthday/christmas (and hopefully full time job) money I can use for axles and whatnot. Because at this point, it's starting to concern me...

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 12-21-2010, 05:39 AM   #573
patrick983
2000 WJ 

sounds exactly like front axle, pinion bearings most likely. perhaps the bearing is worn out and has destroyed the seal allowing lube past the yoke. can you wiggle the diff yoke laterally with the shaft off? if theres any play then thats another red flag for the diff.
Unread 12-21-2010, 07:53 AM   #574
drwolcot

2002 WJ 

what about your wheel bearings? I know I need to replace one of mine and it makes similar noises. If I am going straight or turning right it is very noticeable with the weight shifting to the driver side unit bearing. If I turn left and that weight is taken off the bearing it becomes much quieter. Just a suggestion..... I was thinking the worst as well till I figured it out.

|
|
2002 WJ Overland | 4.7 H.O. | Clayton 6in LA | LSR Bumper | JKS discos | JKS Track Bar | KOR SS | BFG KM2's 285/75/17 | Carolina Front/Rear Driveshaft | Quadradrive | 125k Miles
|
|
RIP
|4.7 | 242HD | 2WD-->4WD Conversion | Vari-Lock front D30 | D44a Aussie Locker | Hybrid RCX 4in + BB | IronMan FUCA's | D30 Solid Diff Cover | Carolina Front Driveshaft | JCR Stage 3 Sliders | E-Fan Conversion | Hard-KOR SS|
WJ 2WD-->4WD Conversion Build Thread
|
|
2003 WJ Overland - SOLD
drwolcot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2010, 10:17 AM   #575
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Wheel bearings aren't to old. I know the front passenger side wheel bearing is 1.5 years old. The front driver side wheel bearing is probably around 2 years old. I've never touched anything on the rear axle.

I'll go ahead and check them as well.

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 12-21-2010, 11:19 AM   #576
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

congrats on gradumakating! as far as your noise is concerned, im having almost the same issue except mine if more of a rotational clunk noise. Im starting to think its in the t-case though. Yours sounds like more of a bearing or axle problem.
Unread 12-21-2010, 12:01 PM   #577
patrick983
2000 WJ 

another thing worth mentioning is you could actually be hearing/feeling two separate problems, say the front pinion angle is off and a wheel bearing is going? as in the vibration is sourced from one place, and the noise from another. just food for thought, but if it were me judging by the symptoms id be looking closely at that front differential
Unread 12-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #578
lakailimited06
1999 WJ 

im gonna link you this this recent thread maybe its the same thing..http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...nside-1135797/

if its similar to our problem it may just be the stupid 4.0 and 42re combo...on the other hand i would check your gear oil for torn up parts perhaps? and change it and see what happens its cheap enough to do...
Unread 12-21-2010, 07:20 PM   #579
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Hmm, it does sound fimiliar. However, the noise mine makes isn't just in OD.

Once the weather clears up, I'm going to check the wheel bearings, check gear oil and take the rear shaft out.

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 12-22-2010, 12:23 PM   #580
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Dana 60/44HP stock axles 4.10 ratio

What do you guys think? If I get beefier axles, I'm skipping 35s and going straight to 37s. Will a front HP44 handle 37s alright?

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 12-22-2010, 06:54 PM   #581
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

Is the extra 1" of ground clearance (35 vs 37) worth the extra stress on the 44? Personally I'd say no, but a well built 44 should handle 37s fine. At that point though, you might have invested enough money into the 44 where you could've swapped in a 60 to begin with.
gatorayde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2010, 09:36 PM   #582
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

I've just been entertaining the idea cause a decent set of axles showed up for an alright price. I want and have been looking for a set of 60s, but listings like that aren't very common around these parts. I guess I just have to play the waiting game and keep looking. Patience was never my strong suit.

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 12-22-2010, 09:46 PM   #583
patrick983
2000 WJ 

wow thats a great deal, personally if that was here locally id jump on it. thats more than enough strength even running 37's. definitely still a major project, and looks like you'd be running 8 lug wheels/tires, but could be worth it if those things are in good shape!
Unread 12-23-2010, 12:01 AM   #584
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Well, I just emailed the guy for some pictures. So I guess we'll see what they look like and then I'll make a decision.

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 12-23-2010, 01:38 AM   #585
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Ok, now I find this.

Dana 60 straight front axle with lee springs

Is someone wrong here? Both ads I've posted say the axle(s) came out of a '79 F-250. Were some F-250s 1 tons and some 3/4 tons?

North Alabama Jeep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.