Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Bama_WJ's Build Thread

281K views 1K replies 151 participants last post by  TX-WJ 
#1 ·
What my WJ looks like as of today:

Table of Contents:

___________________________________________________________________________________________
I figured I would go ahead and jump on the bandwagon and start my own build thead. :thumbsup:

It doesn't consist of my much right now, but I hope to change that by summers end. I'll try to put everything in the order that I got stuff installed. So here it goes...

First off, a little bit of stats:
  • 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee
  • UpCountry Package
  • 4.0L I6
  • 242 Transfer case
  • 98K miles when bought in April of 2007

When I first got my WJ:

I then started to get the itch to start modding things. First in the line up was get some exhaust put on there. I ended up going with a Flowmaster 50 Series and a Magnaflow/Carsound Hi-Flow cat. Sounds pretty nice.

I love coming home from work and seeing a Summit box on the ground!

Video of my exhaust.

Next, I ended up installing a K&N FIPK kit. I found it on eBay for a decent price.

Then I finally purchased a lift. Only had the funds to buy Kevins 2.5" Budget Boost at the time. I really wanted the IRO 3", but I have been real satisfied with this BB paired with the MX-6 shocks. Once you learn how to drive the Jeep decent offroad, only a little bit of lift can get you quite a few places.

A couple pictures of the installation. Nothing to extreme.

Here is the end result. Stock vs. 2.5" BB and 31" Goodyear Silent Armors:

See less See more
#1,134 ·
Figured I'd offer a bit of tech. So far, it's been a chore to try and find decent specs on the 99-04 Superduty D60 axles. Finally ran across an awesome PDF spec sheet of ALL the Dana axles.

Go here to view all the axle specs via PDF.

For 99-04 Ford Dana 60 SRW front axles:
  • BOM #: 611159
  • Part #: 2002694 (-1 and -2)
  • U-joint: 5-806X
  • 30 spline 1.31" stub shafts
  • 35 spline 1.5" inner shafts
Shaft specs:

Short side (driver side):
  • Overall length: 24.70"
  • Stub shaft: 9.31"
  • Inner shaft: 15.39"

Long side (passenger side):
  • Overall length: 46.93"
  • Stub shaft: 9.31"
  • Inner shaft: 37.62"

#1,139 ·
i hear ya on the rigid. a couple guys in the local club have the pairs of dually's on their jk's that they got on sale at 4wheelparts for $158/pair. and that's all they need. period. the light output is amazing. i'm going to pick up a pair for the dub. i think the 40" is a little overkill, but hey, if you got money to burn, more power to ya.

#1,141 ·
Hey Bama, I hate to sound like a creeper....but I clicked on your facebook link for the hell of it to check out some more pictures, and I noticed you're an ECE grad from Purdue. I'm currently an ME major at Purdue.

You have a pretty awesome Jeep, wish I could have seen it while you were here.

#1,144 ·
:laugh:

I hear you.

Keep a look out for the Purdue Offroad Club (PORC) and Purdue Automotive Performance Club (PAPA). I was actually in PAPA for 4 of the 4.5 years I was at Purdue. A real cool group of folks to hang out with. It's a large diverse group, so you get to see drag and auto-x stuff as well as offroad. Some of them still go out to Badlands every so often and I'm sure they're looking for someone else to go with. It's always an awesome time...definitely some of the best times I had while I was at Purdue. PAPA should be having a big car show here soon for Grand Prix. Keep an eye out for flyers!

Here's our Facebook page...

http://www.facebook.com/groups/155607987837071/

#1,147 ·
Seriously thinking about a stroker motor build on the side. Especially with all the weight being added to the Jeep. Just found out about a nice "you pull it" auto yard here in town. Going to check it out this weekend. I imagine they'll have a couple 4.0 sitting around. And $199 for an engine don't sound to bad.

#1,149 ·
Let me know how you like it.

Took a trip to the junkyard today. I really wanted to leave with a good number of axles that I could resell on Craigslist. I found 1 SRW 14 Bolt, 1 DRW 14 Bolt, 1 Dana 60, 1 Sterling 10.25 and more Ford 8.8s (80-90% Explorers) than I could count. I didn't see any front one tons though (no 1 ton 4x4s from what I saw). Wondering if I can make anything worth while if I start harvesting 8.8s. I was kind of disappointed in the number of Jeeps though. There might have been 10 to 15 and it was only ZJs and XJs. Saw a couple 242s, 231s and ujoint driveshafts. No XJ Dana 44s unfortunately.

And my D60 locker is still MIA. No clue what's going on with that...

#1,151 ·
Did you end up going with the Rigid? Regardless, it looks like it has great lumen output and light distribution.

Having any luck selling those axles on CL?

#1,152 ·
Those lights don't look half bad. To bad they don't have a set of "dually" lights. Let us know how they hold up.

Having any luck selling those axles on CL?
I didn't get any axles. I was after a side view mirror (plus eyeing the place in case I need stuff at a later time), so the only tools I had with me were some pliers, a wrench and screw driver. Plus I was in my Cruze, so carrying something big was a no-go. But I really wasn't expecting that many 8.8s. I don't have much room for extra spending in May, so that put a damper on it as well. Maybe later though, can't go wrong with $100/axle.

I don't even know how much a 8.8 axle goes for? I figured if I can only get $150 out of it that it wouldn't be worth my time. Maybe if I cleaned them up and cut the mounts off in preperation of a swap, I might could fetch a bit more...

Also found out that I'm getting an almost 10% raise at work. So I'm pretty pumped about that. It comes out to about $200 more a check...will definitely help getting the Jeep fund up. :D

#1,154 ·
ok, this is going to be hard to explain but here i go... and maybe check this thread out...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=832590

maybe weld a plate starting from the 45 degree angle on the lower section where it bends from vertical to 45, maybe some 3/16s, all the way to the hub. then run some supports vertical off that like the dana 60 drawing. maybe like this..

#1,157 ·
Kind of had the gears in my head turning on the next set of bumpers I want made for it (which EOR will probably make). Decided to go ahead draw up a rough first revision sketch before I forget what I'm thinking about. :laugh: Here is what I've come up with...

I've also been contemplating stepping up tire sizes from a 37" to a 40", still in the MTR/K flavor. Figured it was 1 tons, so why not. Only thing I'm worried about is the ability to stuff 40" tires. Not all to worried about the front, but its the back that I'm more concerned with. However, I'd like to do away with as much metal in the rear as I can. I guess we'll see...

Also talked to Kolak this past Thursday. Hopefully everything has been straightened out and my D60 Detroit will be here on Monday. Fingers crossed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.