Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Bama_WJ's Build Thread

281K views 1K replies 151 participants last post by  TX-WJ 
#1 ·
What my WJ looks like as of today:

Table of Contents:

___________________________________________________________________________________________
I figured I would go ahead and jump on the bandwagon and start my own build thead. :thumbsup:

It doesn't consist of my much right now, but I hope to change that by summers end. I'll try to put everything in the order that I got stuff installed. So here it goes...

First off, a little bit of stats:
  • 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee
  • UpCountry Package
  • 4.0L I6
  • 242 Transfer case
  • 98K miles when bought in April of 2007

When I first got my WJ:

I then started to get the itch to start modding things. First in the line up was get some exhaust put on there. I ended up going with a Flowmaster 50 Series and a Magnaflow/Carsound Hi-Flow cat. Sounds pretty nice.

I love coming home from work and seeing a Summit box on the ground!

Video of my exhaust.

Next, I ended up installing a K&N FIPK kit. I found it on eBay for a decent price.

Then I finally purchased a lift. Only had the funds to buy Kevins 2.5" Budget Boost at the time. I really wanted the IRO 3", but I have been real satisfied with this BB paired with the MX-6 shocks. Once you learn how to drive the Jeep decent offroad, only a little bit of lift can get you quite a few places.

A couple pictures of the installation. Nothing to extreme.

Here is the end result. Stock vs. 2.5" BB and 31" Goodyear Silent Armors:

See less See more
#1,061 ·
If you cut through the back floor, you can put a metal covering over it. Almost like a wheel well you see in beds of pickup trucks. It would obviously be smaller since its just covering a few inches of the coilover.

And to make it removable, you could screw it down instead of weld it. Or just have an upper section that folds down to access the top bolt to unbolt everything.

#1,064 ·
Summit is awesome, but even 4wp has issues sometimes. It took almost 3 months to get my front shocks in after I paid for them.

#1,065 ·
Yea, I don't think 4WP will get much business from me anymore. Took maybe 2.5 months for my gears to get here and still waiting on lockers. It was the same ordeal when I had my D30/D44a installs and gears on order. Pretty frustrating when I'm wanting to get a move on with the build and parts still ain't here yet.

#1,066 ·
Hey Daniel - I didn't know Summit had that locker in stock. I thought it was a national backorder type situation. Tell you what, if my rep. can't get it this week, I'll just grab it for you at Summit at retail. I don't care if I break even or even lose a little money - just want to see your project get back on track and there be some updates and photos here :thumbsup:

#1,068 ·
Thank you Nick, that would be very much appreciated! :highfive:
Now here is what a true working for the people vendor is like. :) two thumbs up.
True story. Very awesome! :thumbsup:

I just got back from buying a set of roller wheels and tires for the axles. Might come in handy for the build and when I have to work on the beadlocks. Four wheels and tires for $100, didn't think it was a bad deal...

#1,067 ·
Kolak said:
Hey Daniel - I didn't know Summit had that locker in stock. I thought it was a national backorder type situation. Tell you what, if my rep. can't get it this week, I'll just grab it for you at Summit at retail. I don't care if I break even or even lose a little money - just want to see your project get back on track and there be some updates and photos here :thumbsup:
Now here is what a true working for the people vendor is like. :) two thumbs up.

#1,074 ·
Nope. Still waiting on the lockers. Also still waiting to hear from Essentially Offroad about a quote.

And now I hear from work that we will be getting like zero overtime compared to the couple months of overtime like we were told few months ago. That was the whole reason I was getting a move on with the build at Essentially Offroad. We shall see though...

#1,079 ·
Bama_WJ said:
Just got off the phone with Nick and the lockers should be shipping out this week! :2thumbsup:

Also looking to get an exhaust for the WK here soon, too... :shhh:
If you don't mind how much was the locker

#1,083 ·
Bama_WJ said:
Paid $600 for the D60 locker and $660 for the S10.5 locker through Kolak. And hopefully Eaton is still doing the $100 rebate on them like they were when I ordered them...
Thats not bad at all

#1,088 ·
Don't really know right now. I might sell them because I'd rather have a set of LF170s because I really had no idea how massive the 240s were going to be. Hell, I might end up with a 10" Rigid LED bar to save some room and still get nice light output.

So right now, its either sell the entire LF240 HID kit or sell the lights by themselves and keep the ballasts and run LF170 HIDs. But I'll definitely entertain the idea of selling the kit right now... :D

#1,089 ·
So I've been fighting with my Yellow Top here lately. Since the WJ isn't started very often the battery has obviously died. I've jumped it off a few times to drive the Jeep around every so often, but the Jeep doesn't want to idle or the the radio doesn't want to stay on. The voltage indicator jumps all over the place while I'm driving it around. Pulled the battery last weekend and put a multimeter to it...6.2 volts. Not good. Put my Battery Tender charger to it and the charger said it was charging. I come back this weekend and the battery still reads 6.0 volts. I figured I'd be getting a new battery. Then I found this gem of an article:

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/general/hrdp_1009_how_to_charge_a_agm_battery/viewall.html

Hooked up a good spare battery and I guess I'll check back this weekend.

And here is a good website for some battery tech if your interested:

http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/battery-basics.html

Just for tech's sake, here is what optima says they like for charging. Even though they obviously want you to buy their own charger...

http://www.optimabatteries.com/product_support/charging.php

Still waiting on my lockers. I guess they didn't really ship out on Presidents day or else they would have been here by now, even with ground shipping. I'm also still waiting to hear back from EOR about a build quote. Called them three time this weekend without anyone answering...must be super busy over there. So I guess I'll try again this week.

#1,090 ·
Goodluck on the battery fix. If u have to buy a new one, go for a Sears Die Hard or Odyssey battery (same underlying manufacturer)... They are now rated the best.

FYI: EOR's phone line got cut the other day when they were laying concrete. Not sure of the phone company has fixed it or not.

#1,092 ·
Thanks. I've been reading up on other AGM battery brands and have read good things on the Die Hard batteries. I've also seen some Duralast Platinum reviews popping up that look to be positive.

Didn't know about EOR's phone line. It rang all the way up until their voicemail, so I don't know. I'll give them another holler this week and see what's up.

Turn the optima upside down and charge it. :D I'm serious too.
Haven't read that tactic yet. What does that do exactly?

Oh and another thing...Is anyone even interested in my LF240 HID lights? After seeing videos of the Rigid LED light bars, I'm sold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.