Bama_WJ's Build Thread - Page 30 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > Grand Cherokee General Discussion > Bama_WJ's Build Thread

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-14-2010, 01:29 AM   #436
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateralus3 View Post
dude, avatar pic right there
I got some better ones in mind. Just got back from taking a lot of light output pictures.

One of them is just plain epic.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2010, 01:30 AM   #437
JFox21
1996 ZJ 

You better post them now.

Sophomore at Santa Clara University
JFox21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2010, 01:57 AM   #438
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFox21 View Post
You better post them now.
I would if I had them. They are all on my girlfriends camera. They will be up tomorrow though (I guess later today technically).

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 08-14-2010, 05:18 AM   #439
MMjeep
2004 WJ 

I'm impressed at how much self controil you have. F/R bumpers lightforce 240s, synthetic winch line. Very nice attention to detail. I just don't see how you had the self restraint not to go by that claytons and 35s with that money.
My WJ build[COLOR="Blue"]:[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/04columbia-build-up-1015985/"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/04columbia-build-up-1015985/[/URL][/COLOR][URL="[NOPARSE][COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #484[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/URL]
MMjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2010, 10:32 AM   #440
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjanks View Post
I'm impressed at how much self controil you have. F/R bumpers lightforce 240s, synthetic winch line. Very nice attention to detail. I just don't see how you had the self restraint not to go by that claytons and 35s with that money.
See, I thought about which route I wanted to take when the summer started. It was either the lift/tires route or the bumpers/accessories route. I did a few mental calculating and figured I would only have enough for the bumpers and stuff and not the lift/tires. I mean don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to be sitting on a LAs and 35s right now, but I still needed some money at the end for school.

My mental calculations for the lift/tires route (guesstimating/rounding here):
- Clayton 6" = $ 2800
- 5 15x8 steelies = $300
- 5 35x12.50 MTR/K = $1000
- Gears w/install kits = $500
- Some sort of traction aide in the front - $400
- Gearing install = $500 (probably being conservative here)
- Driveshaft(s) - $300 (at least)
- Other stuff that nickle and dime you - $200

Not to mention I still need a decent amount of room in the back of my Jeep for carrying stuff to/from school. I was cutting it close with having the stock spare back there. Can't imagine a 35 inch tire in the cargo area. I'm also still leery about the 30 up front with 35s and a traction aide.

Light pictures will be here this afternoon.

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 08-14-2010, 10:41 AM   #441
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Personally I wouldn't lock the D30 with 35's unless you're very gentle on the throttle and are mindful to never bind up the front...

Also I had a minor vibration from my rear driveshaft due to the 6"+ lift (their 6" springs net more like 7" unless you have steel bumpers installed) and so I ended up with a Tom Woods SYE for my 242. So expect another $500 for that if you go that route.

I fit a 35 in the back of my Jeep laying down and it takes up nearly the entire cargo area...So for the past 2 years on 35's I haven't carried a spare with me. With the massive lugs on my MT's it is very rare to get stuff stuck in there. I did get one giant nail in there but it leaked so slowly I didn't get it repaired for a couple months

So skip the spare if you're just around town IMHO.
Unread 08-14-2010, 11:17 AM   #442
MMjeep
2004 WJ 

X2 on leaving the front open I've witnessed a mj with 35in km2s blow up a d30 (but then again he was very throttle happy, he also laid it on its side). I guess it all depends on driving habits and type of trails you'll be running. Seems like you've got it all mapped out. Just don't sell it after you lift it that's seems to be a growing trend guys drop grands into there jeeps and as soon as the build up is over they sell it for a hybrid car???? So we can expect lift/tires next summer right?
My WJ build[COLOR="Blue"]:[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/04columbia-build-up-1015985/"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/04columbia-build-up-1015985/[/URL][/COLOR][URL="[NOPARSE][COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #484[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/URL]
Unread 08-14-2010, 11:28 AM   #443
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep View Post
Personally I wouldn't lock the D30 with 35's unless you're very gentle on the throttle and are mindful to never bind up the front...

Also I had a minor vibration from my rear driveshaft due to the 6"+ lift (their 6" springs net more like 7" unless you have steel bumpers installed) and so I ended up with a Tom Woods SYE for my 242. So expect another $500 for that if you go that route.

I fit a 35 in the back of my Jeep laying down and it takes up nearly the entire cargo area...So for the past 2 years on 35's I haven't carried a spare with me. With the massive lugs on my MT's it is very rare to get stuff stuck in there. I did get one giant nail in there but it leaked so slowly I didn't get it repaired for a couple months

He just got a tire carrier rear bumper so the spare can go on it, not the cargo area.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2010, 02:17 PM   #444
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep View Post

Good to know about the SYE. Forgot about that.

And I know about the locked 30. Not advised. That's why I've been casually cruising CL for 44 fronts over the summer. Hell, I might pick up some tons if I found a good pair for a nice price. Axle swaps are for when I have a DD though.

Yea, I figured a 35 in the cargo area would basically take up all the room. But when it's a 1000 mile round trip to/from school, a spare is a nice thing to have just in case. I need all the room I can get in the back for my school stuff.

Quote:
X2 on leaving the front open I've witnessed a mj with 35in km2s blow up a d30 (but then again he was very throttle happy, he also laid it on its side). I guess it all depends on driving habits and type of trails you'll be running. Seems like you've got it all mapped out. Just don't sell it after you lift it that's seems to be a growing trend guys drop grands into there jeeps and as soon as the build up is over they sell it for a hybrid car???? So we can expect lift/tires next summer right?
Yea, I think I have it all planned out fairly well in my head. Just taking it one step at a time.

Eh, don't really know a timeline from here on out. I'm getting prepared for hitting the "real world" this coming January. So, landing on feet and establishing myself is my first concern that I need to deal with. Once I become stable in my finances and know exactly what I have to mess with money wise, I can go from there. However, having some of the stuff for the next phase of the build is probably not an impossibility for next summer. I'll just have to wait things out and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
He just got a tire carrier rear bumper so the spare can go on it, not the cargo area.
This guy has the right idea!

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 08-15-2010, 02:17 AM   #445
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Finally got my light output pictures!

Bumper fog lights only

Bumper fog lights with low beams

High beams

High beams with LF 240s

LF 240s only

I also got some of the reverse light

Output of the reverse light

Here are some pictures of the LF 240s only. All these pictures were taken right next to the Tenn. River, so I figured I would shoot the LFs across the river to give some perspective on the range these things have. It was probably a little less than a 1/4 mile (guesstimate).

Picture of the beam

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 08-15-2010, 03:12 AM   #446
JFox21
1996 ZJ 

Ridiculous light output. Overkill, but I like it.

Sophomore at Santa Clara University
JFox21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 08:45 AM   #447
lakailimited06
1999 WJ 

bama how is the rear kma mounted? just using the factory hitch holes? im just curious id like to add more to the mounts on my bumper and i tried tapping in the sides in the back and its real thin one of the bolts already stripped it out...
Unread 08-15-2010, 09:16 AM   #448
lateralus3
1994 ZJ 

holy ****!

1994 grand cherokee laredo 4.0 IRO 5.5 critical path long arm kit and OTK steering 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2's

high pinion dana 30 and 8.8 in garage
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/lateralus3s-slow-build-thread-1042086/"]my build thread[/URL][/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]FOR SALE ONE SET OF ZJ D44A AXLE SHAFTS $150 SHIPPED[/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]
lateralus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 09:31 AM   #449
MMjeep
2004 WJ 

man those 240s are sick i was considering the 170 but after seeing these pics ill stick with the 240. Do you still wish you wouldve went with a smaller light?
Unread 08-15-2010, 10:47 AM   #450
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Thanks folks. The lights are insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakailimited06 View Post
bama how is the rear kma mounted? just using the factory hitch holes? im just curious id like to add more to the mounts on my bumper and i tried tapping in the sides in the back and its real thin one of the bolts already stripped it out...
Yes, it just uses the factory mounts for the hitch I would assume. It uses the two rear mount bolts on the gas tank and one more that is closest to the rear of the Jeep.

Quote:
man those 240s are sick i was considering the 170 but after seeing these pics ill stick with the 240. Do you still wish you wouldve went with a smaller light?
Eh, when I see the output they give me, I really like the 240s. But I still kind of wish I got the 170s just for the look. These 240s just look massive on the front while the 170s would probably be a perfect size. You can still buy the 170s with HIDs like mine, so the light output would probably be similar.

North Alabama Jeep

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.